main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Where did han solo and chewbacca meet each other?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Some fans claim that Chewie was one of the Empire's slaves, that Han solo freed. I don't think that was in the movie canon, though. Did the movies say where the two met?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't. I think it was early EU content- Star Wars Magazine and so forth, that did.

3. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Silly question, but I have to ask after seeing all these inquiry threads you've started, but have you actually seen the movies? And if you have, were you not paying attention? I don't mean to be rude, but it just seems like a lot of unnecessary topics.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Mackinder-Brzezinski

Mackinder-Brzezinski Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2012
    Check it out on Wookipedia.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
  6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Those fans are correct. The movies don't have all the answers.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Is there a way to tell what is canon or not? That's what I find confusing. Did George Lucas have a statement or anything that proves it? I always find what is canon and what isn't canon to be very confusing. I remember him saying somewhere that the EU and the movies are separate universes.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The movies don't have time so say everything, I guess.

9. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    It's all canon for the fans, for the most part.

10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How do we know it's canon to the movie storyline, though? Is there a way to tell? Is it canon, but we don't know it's the canon of another Star wars universe, kind of like the Sam raimi spiderman films and the amazing spiderman reboot, they're both canon, but different stories and universes. Or is it canon to the movie storyline too?

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Most stuff is canon, unless it is clearly listed as infinities, or if Lucas decides to alter what has already been covered

12. Yunners

Mar 30, 2006
    Star Wars is not like that. Those films were made by two different film companies. Star Wars all falls under the veil of Lucasarts.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If star wars is not like the 2 spiderman film companies, then why did George Lucas make this statement? There are also a lot of contradictions between the EU and the movies to make them a part of the same universe. They seem more like the 2 spiderman series because of that. An example of a contradiction. In the movies, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is the chosen one who destroys the sith and brings the force into balance. But in the EU, there are dark-side users and Sith in post Return of the Jedi storylines. Quote Wookiepedia and George Lucas, "

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."
    ".
    And a second quote."However, it should be made clear that as far as George Lucas is concerned, the story ends with Return of the Jediwith the Sith destroyed and the Force in balance. "But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story."
    ".

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Balance of the force doesn't mean no more Sith or other darksiders.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Bringing balance to the force means no Sith or darksiders. Here's a quote from Wookiepedia to prove that.

Many fans incorrectly assume that balance refers to an equal mix of both light and dark side users. However, as George Lucas explains in the introductory documentary for the VHS version A New Hope, Special Edition, this is not the case:
    "The first film starts with the last age of the Republic, which is it's getting tired, it's old, it's getting corrupt.
    There's the rise of the Sith, who are becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this we have Anakin Skywalker, a young boy who is destined to be a significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and to the Republic...
    Then in the second film we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sort of the beginning of the end of the Republic. And it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he has to cope with.
    And then we will get to the 3rd film where he is seduced to the dark side..
    Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..."

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Also, watch the Chosen one featurette, it says that anakin brings balance to the force by destroying the Sith.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The Sith always come back and evil never dies.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Does that mean Anakin isn't the Chosen One? George Lucas confirmed that Anakin is the Chosen One, and that bringing balance to the force, the Chosen One's job, is to destroy the Sith order.

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Anakin is the chosen one, but Palpatine was causing the imbalance, not the sith order. You should learn to take what Lucas says with a grain of salt. He says a lot of stuff and often changes his mind on things.

20. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    As far as cannonicity, the best way to look at it is, while George didn't let the EU change what he had planned with his movies, he can't cover every single detail about everything. So while the background info provided by the EU may not come directly from Lucas' mind, the author is approved to write this by a LFL representative.

As far as Han and Chewie's meeting, it is covered in the EU. Until Lucas comes along and changes this(which probably won't happen), its the best explanation of their meeting to go with.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The sith order caused the imbalance, not just Palpatine. Palpatine was a mortal human who wouldn't live forever. No need for the Chosen One.

The chosen one destroys the sith order, breaking the cycle of the rule of two. Balance=only light side.

The EU contradicts the movie story about the chosen one. Anakin was the one who brought balance to the force.

22. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    No it doesn't, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you since you are so hooked on the movies to seek the answers elsewhere.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    All I said was that star wars contradicts itself, and I find that confusing.

24. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Han and Chewie met on an Empire slave ship. Lt.Solo was an Empirial pilot at the time, but was drummed out of the Empirial navy for refusing to punish a renegade Wookie slave (Chewbacca).

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is incorrect. Balance means the light side and the dark side are in balance. All of one thing and none of the other is hardly balance.

The problem with this statement is that it can't be taken literally. Whatever the post-ROTJ period is supposed to look like, it's not supposed to be an era where the sapient capacity for evil has been magically eliminated. So what does Lucas really mean? I think it's arguable that "evil" here should be taken to mean "the major dominant evil of Palpatine and the Empire".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.