main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [White Collar] James Bonds ~ Mod's Shuffle Challenge ~ Set III 2/9/12

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mavjade , Jan 9, 2012.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Title: James Bonds
    Author: mavjade
    Challenge: Mod's Shuffle Challenge- I don't want to be part of the voting, I just wanted to participate. :)
    Notes: I just recently started watching White Collar and it hooked me immediately. I watched all 3 seasons in an embarrassingly short amount of time. If you haven't watched it, you should! (Seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix streaming). Since it's a pretty small fandom and many probably haven't even heard of it, below is a little synopsis of the show. I didn't go into much detail, only telling things that are explained in the pilot because you should watch it for yourself!

There may be more of these... this was fun!

White Collar- A little background without giving too much away: Peter Burke is an White Collar Crime FBI agent. After a three year search that pretty much consumed his life, he caught con-man Neal Caffery on bond forgery. Neal is also 'suspected' of art forgery (he's a very skilled artist) and theft, among other crimes that he was never convicted on. With 3 months left of his 4 year prison sentence, Neal literally walks out of Super-max prison. He was caught several hours later -again by Peter- though he wasn't trying to hide, having been left by his girlfriend, Kate. Neal was sentenced to another 4 years, but he managed to convince Peter and the FBI to let him out with a GPS tracker in exchange for his help catching other white collar criminals. Peter and Neal eventually have formed a friendship, though they both have trust issues. Neal has very expensive taste, dresses very well, is very smooth and pretty well liked.

The title was the name the FBI gave Neal before they knew who he was.

~*~*~*~

Song: Hold me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me - U2
    Characters: Sara, Peter, Neal by mention alone

"You do know what you are getting into, right?" Peter asked Sara as he met her in the elevator, both on their way up to the New York FBI headquarters.

Sara gave Peter a look like he had just grown two heads. "I testified at his trial, of course I know who Neal Caffrey is. But other than all of that, he's fun."

"Yes," Peter agreed, "Yes he is, but..." he trailed off not really wanting to say any more.

"I'm a big girl, Peter and I'm in this with my eyes wide open. We're just having some fun, nothing more."

Peter nodded. He had said what he wanted and anything else was down to her. She was right, she was a big girl and she knew who Neal was and what he had done. If she wanted to have a relationship with his CI, he was not going to say anything more. But he couldn't help to hope she would be an influence on Neal and not the other way around.

"It's the hat isn't it?" Peter asked jokingly making it clear he was done with the third degree. "Woman always love the hat."

"Of course," Sara smiled as the elevator arrived at the 21st floor. "And his brains, his charm, the excitement..." She walked off the elevator and then turned back just before Peter could step out, "Not to mention the thrill when he pulls me to him and kisses me like no one has before." She turned and walked confidently through the glass doors and into the FBI offices.

Peter shook his head as the elevator closed without him getting out, "That was something I really didn't need to know."

~*~*~*~*~

Song: Lasagna- Weird Al
    Characters: Neal, Mozzie

"Are you making lasagna?" Mozzie asked as he shut the oven door, confused as to his friend's uncharacteristic dinner choice. "How domestic."

Neal smiled as pulled a bottle of wine out of his wine rack. "I am, and this--" he lifted the bottle so Mozzie could see it, "--is not for you."

"So who's the lucky girl?"

Neal did not say a word, waiting on his old friend to come up with his own conclusions. Mozzie's conclusions to unanswered questions were often farfetched and amusing.

"Please tell me it's not the suit," Moz said plopping into a chair at the table. "Why would you be cooking for the suit?"

"Not just Peter," Neal defended a little disappointed that Moz figured him out so quick.

"Mrs. Suit?" Mozzie

Tarsier likes this.
  2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    =D= Nicely done. As a fellow White Collar fan, I think that you did a great job capturing the characters.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Why lasagna? Because lasagna is delicious! :p

I really liked these! You've made me want to check out the show. I hope you continue them!!

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, you had some awesome songs, and some great ficlets to go with them. And, that said, thank-you for the little notes at the beginning of the piece, they really made for a fuller read. And dang it, but now I have another show that I am intrigued in. Wonderful. :p

Peter shook his head as the elevator closed without him getting out, "That was something I really didn't need to know."

[face_laugh] I like Peter, and this back and forth was awesome. :p

And Lasagna! [face_laugh] Fantastic song choice, and great way to put it towards the piece. "Mrs. Suit," I like it. :cool:

"You know, I think the A train goes out of my radius..."

[face_laugh] Neal is a trip. I loved his 'logic.'

So no, it wasn't the suits or the food or the thrill of the con, but the lights that he missed. It was the lights he now took time to appreciate because he never knew when they would be taken from him again.

A lovely character piece to wrap this up with. Indeed, New York at night is a sight without compare, and this was unique point of view on that. I would have guessed the suits, as well, even just after reading these. :p

Wonderful job with the challenge. [:D]

~MJ @};-

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I love White Collar and you did a great job with these! I especially like Neal managing to avoid taking the subway. And great finish with Neal's thoughts on the lights!

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Darth McClain: Nicely done. As a fellow White Collar fan, I think that you did a great job capturing the characters.
    Thanks! I always worry when I first start writing characters, that they won't be anything like the actual characters!
    Thanks for reading!

Nat: Why lasagna? Because lasagna is delicious!
    LOL! That may be true but I can't see Neal Caffery ever making it voluntarily! :p

I really liked these! You've made me want to check out the show. I hope you continue them!!
    Thanks! You should check it out... it's a great show! The new second half of season 3 starts this week... but you may be really lost if you start there! Thanks for reading! [:D]

Mira: First off, you had some awesome songs, and some great ficlets to go with them.
    My iTunes has the strangest sense of shuffle. It's always interesting to see what kind of songs it will come up with... sometimes ones I didn't even know I had! LOL!

And, that said, thank-you for the little notes at the beginning of the piece, they really made for a fuller read.
    I hoped that would help! I know it's not a very big fandom and it's hard to just jump right in, especially with ficlets this short.

And dang it, but now I have another show that I am intrigued in. Wonderful
    Bah ha ha ha... [face_skull] My work here is done!
    It seriously is a great show! You should watch it!

I like Peter, and this back and forth was awesome.
    They have great chemistry on the show. I love it when Peter gets sarcastic so I figure that'll come out in any fic I write!

And Lasagna! laugh Fantastic song choice, and great way to put it towards the piece. "Mrs. Suit," I like it.
    That song popped up and I groaned but I had to do something with it! I can't take credit for Mrs. Suit, Mozzie calls her that on the show, but I love it!

Neal is a trip. I loved his 'logic.'
    He really is... makes him a lot of fun to write.

A lovely character piece to wrap this up with. Indeed, New York at night is a sight without compare, and this was unique point of view on that. I would have guessed the suits, as well, even just after reading these.
    Thanks! I agree, NYC at night is something to behold! But yes, the suits too... he makes mention of that at some point in the show.
    Thanks for reading! [:D]

Tarsier: I love White Collar and you did a great job with these! I especially like Neal managing to avoid taking the subway. And great finish with Neal's thoughts on the lights!
    Thanks so much! I can't see Neal ever wanting to take the subway if he can help it! :p
    Thank you for reading and reviewing!

7. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Set II
    Notes: Here's another set... they just wouldn't leave me alone! :)
    You can tell (if you watch the show) where I've been watching the previews for the winter premier, lol!

~*~*~*~

Song:Going Down- Hair
    Characters: Neal, Peter

"Peter?" Neal said walking up to his friend, who had just walked into his home to find his wife missing. "Peter, maybe you should sit down."

Peter looked around the room as though he was just now seeing all the people who were there. He then turned to face the man who had become his partner, "He took my wife."

"I know," Neal said putting his hand on Peter's shoulder. "Well get her back."

"He took my wife," Peter said a little louder.

"Elizabeth is a smart woman. She'll be--"

"He took my wife," Peter yelled throwing Neal's hand off his shoulder and shoving him into the nearest wall. "This is your fault. Keller has my wife because you can't control yourself."

"Peter, no..."

Jones carefully walked over, reaching his hand up to pull his boss off of their CI, but Neal shook his head. He knew Peter needed to be angry and if Neal was honest, he wanted to be the target of that anger. "We'll get him, Peter. I'll do whatever it takes to get her back."

"I'll do whatever it takes," Peter growled. "And when I find him, this time he's going down, for good."

Neal knew that Peter meant the words he was saying and he vowed right then to not let Peter do something that would ruin his life, even if it ruined Neal's.

~*~*~*~*~

Song: Nothings Gonna Change My Clothes- They Might Be Giants
    Characters:Neal, Peter, Diana

"You realize, if you wore something a little more sensible, this probably wouldn't keep happening," Peter said laughing as Neal held his now ruined tie that probably cost more than Peter's entire outfit.

Neal shook his head, "Wouldn't happen or I just wouldn't care?"

"Either way."

"I'm not wearing anything from a department store," Neal said. "I have standards."

Peter looked down at what he was wearing, "Are you saying..."

"I'm saying Elizabeth is a very patient woman. I wouldn't put up with you wearing that if we were married," Neal said as he put the tie he pulled out of his desk drawer around his neck.

"Well then it's a good thing we aren't married, isn't it?"

Diana -who was standing behind them- couldn't help the snort of laughter, "You wouldn't know it, though."

"What?" Peter said, turning around to look at his team member.

"Please, with the way you two bicker," she said. "You're an old married couple."

"We don't bicker," Peter said to her, he then turned to Neal, "We don't bicker."

"You bicker," Neal said. "I win."

Diana smiled as she walked away, "Old married couple."

~*~*~*~*~

Song: Sweetest Thing- U2
    Characters: Peter, El

The card arrived the evening before his birthday. As was the case every year, there was no return address and the post mark was from some random place. This time, the post mark said Silver City, New Mexico. Peter didn't believe it, he knew there was no way Neal was in New Mexico or had been to New Mexico any time in the recent past.

He opened the envelop and smile at the card he pulled out. On the front was a picture of an old looking map.

"Is that from Neal?" Elizabeth asked as she walked up behind her husband and put her arms around his shoulders.

"It is," he said and began to read the card aloud.

"Peter,
    I figure it's been a few years since you've had a really good chase, so I thought I would give you one for your birthday.
    Somewhere on this card is a clue to your present. Figure out the clues, you get your present. Don't work it out, you'll have to settle for this card.
    Good Luck and Happy Birthday,
    Neal."

"That is so sweet," El said.

"Sweet?" Peter said turning his head to look at his wife. "He's giving me chase."

"Just like old times," El smiled giving he husband a kiss on his cheek. "You have to admit, you do miss chasing him."

Peter nodded. It was true, while he loved working with Neal and wouldn't give it up for much, Neal

8. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Another great set! I love the "old married couple" reference and Neal's birthday gift to Peter.

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh yay! I'm glad that these are being continued!

My favorite one here had to be the 'old married couple' one. Once of these days, I really expect Peter to slap Neal. I really do. But their bickering is adorable.

And continuing on that line, the birthday card from New Mexico was awesome. :p

But THIS had the best atmosphere to it:

Neal shook his head. He knew the reason he was here, that he was only doing this to prove security was not up to par, but he would be lying if he did not admit that a part of him missed the game. "I'm not having fun, this is work," he whispers back. It had been many years since he and Peter had worked as agent and con, and while Neal was now employed by the FBI, it was not often that they got the chance to work side by side.

Oh yeah. Great inner thoughts, and great scenario all around. =D=

Again, these were lots of fun! [:D]

~MJ @};-

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I definitely need to start watching this show :D

I also love the old married couple one. They seem like they've got a great bromance going! Love it!

I hope you continue these!!

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Really nice job, once again! I think that you do a great job with Peter, Neal, and Diana. Who doesn't love a good post card from Neal?

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Tarsier: Another great set! I love the "old married couple" reference and Neal's birthday gift to Peter.
    Thanks! I really think they sometimes act like an old married couple and I had to work it in somewhere! :)
    Thank you for reading!

Mira: Oh yay! I'm glad that these are being continued!
    The muse seems to like doing little snippets at them moment!

My favorite one here had to be the 'old married couple' one. Once of these days, I really expect Peter to slap Neal. I really do. But their bickering is adorable.
    LOL! I certainly wouldn't put it past Peter! They are so adorable on the show and it makes them so much fun to write!

And continuing on that line, the birthday card from New Mexico was awesome.
    The sending of the birthday card from jail is completely cannon but I thought Neal would do something to make it seem like he was getting away with something. He likes doing that to Peter! :)

Oh yeah. Great inner thoughts, and great scenario all around.
    Neal's a great character to do introspection on because he's such a complicated and well thought out character.

Again, these were lots of fun!
    Thanks so much, I'm glad you are enjoying them!! Thanks so much for reading! [:D]

Nat: I definitely need to start watching this show
    Yes, yes you do!! It's so much fun! :D

I also love the old married couple one. They seem like they've got a great bromance going! Love it!
    I think they have one of the best bromances that I've seen on TV! They sometimes really do act like an old married couple and it's so adorable!

I hope you continue these!!
    I plan on it as the muse allows! :D

Thanks for reading!! [:D]

Darth McClain: nice job, once again! I think that you do a great job with Peter, Neal, and Diana. Who doesn't love a good post card from Neal?
    Thanks so much!! I love it when the three of them interact, it's always so much fun so I knew she was the perfect one to call them on being an old married couple! I know I'd love a post card from Neal! ;)
    Thanks for reading!

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Set III:

Notes:
    Some of these are Spoilers for Season 3, and some are completely AU. This may be the most random smattering of songs yet. Oh iTunes, how you amuse me.
    The surveillance van seems to make it's self know in this set... apparently it needed some attention. :p

- - - -

Song: I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
    Characters: Peter

By all rights, Peter should have been furious. For a while he was angry but then everyone got what they wanted and the feeling began to abate. He got Elizabeth returned to him safe and sound and Keller got the Russians off his back. While Peter really wasn't really sure what Neal wanted, he did know Neal was telling the truth when he said he wanted to stay.

Peter knew, Neal Caffrey did not often let his real self show through. You most always saw the con-man, the mask he hid behind even when he was being completely truthful. It was so engrained in his character -and Peter wasn't positive that Neal wasn't just a character, an alias that just didn't let go- so pivotal to Neal that you rarely saw what was underneath. So if staying in New York, staying with the FBI was what Neal wanted, then he had gotten his wish as well.

Most people hide something of themselves and Peter was no acceptation, but Neal put a whole new meaning to skeletons in your closet; Peter figured Neal had an entire mosuliem in his closet. But it was all these things that drew Peter to the man, made him want to see what would happen next, see who would be next and hope for just a glimpse of the real man underneath.

So while Peter should be sending the con-man away, never to speak to or of him again, he finds himself drawn back in. Drawn back to the vortex that is Neal Caffery. Neal had dug his way into Peter and Elizabeth's lives and it seemed like he was not leaving there anytime soon and this thought made Peter's heart feel warm and full.

It seemed, to Peter, that not only did everyone get what they wanted but they also got what they needed.

~*~*~*~

Song: Does Your Mother Know- ABBA
    Characters: Neal, Peter

They had been sitting in the surveillance van for hours. Neal was not a big fan of the small van on the best of days but today it felt even smaller.

"Does your mother know?" Peter asks.

Neal knows exactly where the line of questioning is going and he is not really thrilled with the idea of talking with Peter about his childhood. "I assume she does, she grew up there," he answers randomly since Peter's question was not at all specific. Deflection is something he is very skilled at and he plans on using all of those skills for this topic of conversation.

"Huh?" Peter says confused as to what Neal was saying. "I was asking if your mother knows about you."

"Oh," Neal responds with pretend confusion. "Since she's my mother I hope she at least knows of my existence. I know sometime father's don't know about children but sooner or later the mother has to figure it out."

"Does she know you're a con?" Peter finally asks directly.

Neal wants to tell Peter he doesn't want to talk about it or continue to deflect until Peter gets the idea but it must have been something about the van that made him want to talk. "I don't know," he answers honestly without taking his eyes off the screen in front of him. "I haven't heard from or about her since I was 14. I assume she noticed I was missing at some point, or maybe she didn't, I don't know."

"Neal..." Peter starts really not knowing what to say. He had a pretty good relationship with his parents, he still did and he couldn't imagine having a father who was a dirty cop and a mother who wouldn't know her 14 year old son was missing.

"Don't," Neal stopped him before he could say anything. "Don't apologize or make excuses for the way I am. Plenty of kids have worse parents and turn out to be perfectly law abiding citizens. I am who I am because it was what I wanted to be, because I enjoy-- enjoyed it."

Peter was aware of the people who had come from worse and lived wonderful lives but he also kne

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    "This is the exciting life of white collar crime," Peter said.

"No," Neal disagreed. "This is the exciting life of catching white collar criminals, the actual crime is surprisingly more exciting."

"Touché"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

So many funny moments!! I love their relationship :D

15. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Awesome set!

I love Peter being drawn to Neal so he can figure him out in the first one and Neal's deflection in the second one - I know sometime father's don't know about children but sooner or later the mother has to figure it out - nice!

The banter in the third is priceless. :D

I like this line: "Break the monotony with more monotony." I can really hear Neal saying a lot of these lines.

The last one is wonderful, but it makes me sad to think Neal has to pick one side or the other.