main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

white lightsaber

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by citizen-austin, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizen-austin

citizen-austin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    the first two were okay, but i totally love the flame saber! way to go! awesome! (maybe it'll be the new bad guy saber, eh) :) id like to see a short (life 5 seconds or so) fx test of one 0of those bayby's fighting

2. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    http://starwars.com/img/homepages/anakin2/anakin2_body4.jpg

you can reload the os enough times until you see the whole picture, or you can just go that url and see the bottom part with the lightsaber. it's annikans and it looks white

3. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    ryan try making your black light saber with a lighter core. who cares if it don't look excatly like a black light

4. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I'm pretty sure ALAMdv has a black sabre option. I'm not sure, it looked kind of dumb to me, but one was black core w/ purple glow and one was purple core w/ black glow.

~Neszis~

5. Arkalius

Arkalius Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    What is that white lightsaber picture from? I know for a fact that the first time a lightsaber is turned on (by Luke in ANH), it's a light blue. I don't recall every seeing anything like that in any of the SW movies.

6. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    its one of the new backgrounds on the official site, reload enough times until you get to the anakin background. go to the bottom of the picture and you'll see his saber is white. i just posted the part of the pic with the white saber

7. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
  8. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    also odd, count dooku has a purple saber... supposed to be red it is
    (as yoda would say)

9. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    About Dooku's ~ isn't he on a blue background? Wouldn't a red saber show up purple over a blue? Just a thought.

~DK~

10. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    ahh yes, and as in most cases, the newbie w/ the homer simpson icon is wrong

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    The saber colors are off because the entire image had it's hue balanced. In the Dooku shot it was tipped toward blue. Red + Blue = Purple.

Similar weirdness is happening with Anakin and Obi-Wan in those picts.

12. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    I just saw Ryan's flamesaber and i wanted to see what it would look like so i did a little video test real quick. Hope you dont mind me doing this Ryan.

Here it is

13. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Hmm. The red part isn't very noticeable...
    But this style is still a work in progress. :)

The distortion is an interesting touch...

14. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with the red, i origionally did it, adding a bit more red to it but it looked bad, Im gonna keep fooling with it though and see what happens.

15. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Right on.

16. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    That's quite interesting RiskBreaker. I can't decide whether I think it's cool, or just plain wrong :) I think I'm going to go for cool though, it certainly adds a new dimension to the saber, what will happen when it moves fast, will there he a 'lag' on one side (the one furthest away from the direction of movement ) like with a real flame? that could look very interesting...

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Dooku was rumored to have a flame saber. I guess that didn't happen, but it woulda been cool.

I'm reserving judgement on lightsabers and their appearance in Episode II until I see the film, to be honest. WE all know how easy it is to change a saber's color in the computer, especially in a good compositing program, ILM may just have been saving it in the trailers.

I'm probably wrong and it'll look exactly the same, but we'll see.

M. Scott

18. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    on the topic of lightsabers, in epi 3 obi-wan vs. annikan/vader will it be blue saber vs. blue saber

19. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    What makes you so sure?

20. agentgonzo

agentgonzo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2001
    Just a few points:

1) Anikin vs Obi-Wan won't be blue on blue, as it would just be too confusing for the audience to see what's going on in a fast battle.

2) Ultra-Violet (or as the yanks prefer to use, the oximoron "black-light") isn't purple, it's outside the visible spectrum of the human eye (OK, for the geeks out there, human anatomy has evolved, and new children now are able to see slightly into the UV spectrum). The purple (or actually violet) that you see is just the tail-end of the visible spectrum - it also gives you cateracts if you look into a UV tube/bulb, so don't do it!

3) The glow of the lightsabres is an additional light source, and light passes from the background through the outer glow of the lightsabre. Thus, the resutling render of the lightsabre is always brighter than the original background (unless you have roto'd badly, which has happened in fanfilms before, and it looks awful!), thus if you want a black lightsabre, the resulting render would not increase the luminance of the background, and the outerglow of the lightsabre would not appear visible.

Further techie ramblings now follow, so if you've been bored by point 3 above, then stop reading.

There is also the problem with moving of the lightsabre. With the standard lightsabre, it has a bright white core, and when moving the lightsabre in a fast twirl/stroke/whatever you fancy, the entire streak of the core in a single frame of the video is pure white, making an almost triangle shape.

If you use a normal stick and move it fast, and look at a frame of the video, the stick is (obviously blurred, but also) very transparent over the background, as the light going into the camera in the (for film) 24th of a second for the arc of the blade is primarily made up of the background, and then slightly from the moving blade. With the lightsabres, this area is pure white because the core of the lightsabre is so bright that it saturates then entire arc of the blade with white light. IE - the blade of the lightsabre is orders of magniture brighter than then "pure white" on the film itself.

Now if we think of the black lightsabre, the darkest that you can get is pure black (ie no light - there is no bounds for how bright something can be). Thus when you swing the lightsabre, you will still get the background of the scene being printed onto the film for that frame - you will also get the transparent and blurred black blade, but it will not be able to "black-out" the area of the swing as the white saturated it, as the light has already gone past the blade and into the camera. Therefore, when you start swinging the blade, it will become very faint and hard to see.

Sorry for the long and technical post!

21. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    Well, it would make chronological sence that they both had blue sabers, as Anakin's saber, the one Ben gives to Luke was blue, and his own saber is also blue in Ep IV, therfore it would be safe to assume that they fight blue on blue. but... then again Yoda didn't train Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon did. leave it to Lucas to sort out.

Thayne.

22. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    that's all well and good agentgonzo, but you still spelled saber wrong.

23. Fixer808

Fixer808 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    Umm, actually both ways are correct. Sabre is the British spelling.

24. citizen-austin

May 1, 2002
    ah yes, saved by british spelling

when writing a school paper entitled 'Archeology (i think thats spelled wrong): Our window to early civiliztion from paleolithic man to the emergence of european powers' my teacher told me i had spelled the title to my 29 page paper incorrectly,i realised that i spelled it the british way and hapily noted this to my teacher

25. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    Nope, Sabre is the incorrect spelling, in the united kingdom, when refering to the weapon from Star Wars, it is spelt Saber. In the original script drafts, comics, books, toy's etc... it is spelt Saber.

Thayne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.