main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Who da man? Yoda man!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LaurenFett, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaurenFett

LaurenFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Has anyone else seen this Yoda commercial for the Star Wars DVD? Every time I see it I groan in disgust and embarrasment. Does Lucas really have to use Ebonics to sell movies?

2. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    This has bothered me to no end, and I just mute the commercial when it comes on now.

3. Boraccio

Boraccio Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2001
    I can not say how much this bugs me. Every time I see it, I envision this grey-haired old white man saying it. The least they could have done is get, maybe, Sam Jackson or James Earl Jones to say it...... or even better, come up with a decent ad campaign.

4. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    "or even better, come up with a decent ad campaign"
    Let's not set our standards unrealistically high.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    At least they could have used the scene from Empire Strikes Back and some slogan like " 'Wars not make one great' my eye! "

6. jedimotion

jedimotion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 12, 2002
    Actually, from an advirtising stand point the commercial is excellent. It draws new people to possibly view the DVD. I personally think it is the worst thing for a die-hard SW fan to see and have to suffer through to get to the next 10 min. of Seinfeld, but to all the people who think SW is for Sci-Fi nerds, they may have just been given the open door to a better world in a way that they are more able to appreciate, or at the very least tolereate. My friend hates Sci-Fi and wouldn't even give Ep II a chance, until he lauged out loud at Yoda doing his thing.
    Sometimes you have to use a different approach to recieve maximum exposure.
    (by the way, if you can't tell, I study lots of advirtising and marketing, so I am a little bias)

7. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Corrin, profanity isn't allowed, so don't pull that again.

Jedimotion, I can certainly appreciate your points about the Lucasfilm advertising machine, but I still shudder at the present campaign.

8. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Perhaps he was referring to his Donkey, who was made great through war.

9. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    "And in the morning, I'm makin' waffles!"
    Sorry, the donkey comment reminded me of Shrek.

It's true that the ad campaign might attract certain people to viewing the DVD, but it also might scare some people away. For instance, one of my roommates saw the commercial, laughed hysterically, and then exclaimed, "You're a fan of THAT?!"

It was a sad, sad day.

10. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    *bows head in a moment of silence*

11. Tori_Dakk

Tori_Dakk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    I guess I must not be watching TV enough... I missed it DARN!

12. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    George Lucas is all about the money. I felt like the movie got that across even more than the silly commercials for the DVD.

13. Insanitys_Crescendo

Insanitys_Crescendo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Alas, the new movies are but a shadow of the grandeur of the original trilogy, or perhaps I should say the Holy Trinity?

14. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I actually thought the Yoda da man commercial was pretty funny.

I'll admit that I haven't really sat down and /watched/ it, but I've glanced at the tv, saw it on, and watched from there.

What's the big deal? I think it's a hillarious commercial, especially with the screen splitting into little yodas.

I think we forget that "commercials do not a franchise make"... they simply bring others to the holiness of star wars.

15. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    There are radio commercials too :(

16. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    I haven't experienced the radio commercials. Are they just as embarrassing?

17. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    If it's not exactly the same as the TV commercials, its close. Same voice, same shamelessness. . .and i think that its just greed on lucasfilms' part, star wars is a huge franchise, and i think that they need to cater to the enormous fan base they already have rather than gain a few more with 'hip' commercials. but ive never taken a business class or an economics class, so my opinion matters little.

18. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm so grateful I haven't seen this commercial.

What, exactly, happens in it?

Dana

19. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Basically, a 60s-style gold-colored font flashes across the screen at the same time a deep voice says "WHO DA MAN?" And then the text changes to "YODA MAN!" as the deep voice says it (and it sounds absolutely ridiculous coming from the voice of a middle-aged man, might I add). Then they show. Yoda and his bad self flashing his saber. They go into different civilians with their testimonials on how great the movie is. Then at the end the midlife crises voice returns, saying "WHO DA MAN? YODA DA MAN!"

If you're going to use Ebonics, why don't we have an African American say the lines at least, to make them authentic? The poor cracka who had to say "Yoda da man" sounds like he's trying to impress his rebellious teenage kid by talking like him.

20. Jedi_Jase

Jedi_Jase Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2002
    I haven't seen this commercial yet, but I'm sure I will sooner or later. It sounds humorous, but I agree with you guys.

21. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Saw the commercial again yesterday. I made my roomies change the channel while it was on, so I didn't have to bear it.

22. Jedi_Cougar

Jedi_Cougar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    you can say black

23. LaurenFett

Mar 12, 2002
    Actually, I can't say "black." In Delaware you'd get shot if you called someone "black." It surprising to me how many people out here just fling around racial terms like they're normal words. And it seems that out here people are surprised that I don't use those terms. Curious...curious...

24. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    It's not like saying someone is black is being racist... it's like saying someone's tall, short, skinny etc...

25. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    "it's like saying someone's tall, ... skinny..."

RACIST!!!!

Seriously, Spoo is right. Black shouldn't be a word people take offense at. Neither should "White." As long as you don't throw around those terms with demeaning connotations, I don't see the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.