main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who Doesn't Hate Jar Jar anymore?..

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightsaver, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Though I love bashing Jar Jar, I'm only joking when I do. He never bothered me, and I thought he was pretty funny sometimes.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Hating Jar Jar is so 1999.

LOL!!!!

Ok, let's take the Jake Lloyd debate to a Jake Lloyd related thread.

3. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    lol, i think more people hate Jake Lloyd, for one reason or another, than they hate Jar Jar.

4. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i still think jar jar is a wet blanket

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Jar Jar is the best! After my first screening, I thought he didn't fit in. Then, I got used to having him there and I realised how much I loved him.
    He's not like the other characters and that's the point. It makes it easier for me to identify with him.

BTW, lightsaver: I agree with you about Jar Jar's rant in the bongo. It's really funny!

Star Wars is six, two and one
    /LM

6. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Though I love bashing Jar Jar, I'm only joking when I do. He never bothered me, and I thought he was pretty funny sometimes.

That's exactly how it is for me ^_^

7. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    i do feel, that in some cases..it is little bit hard to watch TPM, though..excluding J.J.

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I got a kick out of Jar-Jar the first time I saw TPM and I've liked him ever since. I mean, come on, he's a humanoid platypus and he says stuff like "Huge O'Teeth!". Any character that has that much going for him can't be all bad.

9. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't know a single person that can stand watching TPM. Everyone I know hates Jar Jar and have never forgiven Lucas for this abomination.

10. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I pity them. So full of useless hate. I mean, HATE a fictional character?
    Get a life.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - may you rest in peace @};-
    /LM

11. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I never disliked Jar Jar. In fact, I found him one of the film's more colorful and sympathetic characters. After the Jedi geet to Theed, we really don't get much from him until the end. I know some people don't think he's funny, but I've never understood the massive hatred he inspires. If someone could succinctly explain it, I'd read.

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I believe it has to do with the fact that the new movies inherently change our view of Star Wars. Because the OT had been out for so long, most of us had a pretty clear picture of what we thought Star Wars is and should be.
    When TPM came, it changed all of that, because in many ways, it didn't fit into that picture. How could it? It was a brand new episode. It had to bring something new, otherwise it would be useless.
    Jar Jar was the extreme of that. He was unlike all the other characters in Star Wars. He looked funny, he walked funny, he talked funny. He was(and still is) unique in the saga. Because he was so different, it's understandable that many fans would have a hard time accepting his presence. He was simply not Star Wars to them.
    That's why they resent the fact that he got so much screentime in TPM. He's not a main character, but he's still a major character because he's a sidekick.

So, while I do not agree with the Jar Jar bashing, I understand why it erupted.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - may you rest in peace @};-
    /LM

13. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think Han Solo is the character we wish we were but we aren't, while Jar-Jar is the character we wish we weren't, but we are.

I think once one accepts their inner Jar-Jar, then Binks is a lot easier to handle in the films.

14. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    I never hated Jar Jar in the first place.

I posted something on this board last summer about how I thought Jar Jar was important to the story line and ended up getting flamed a few times. Yes he is funny- comedic relief, but he does serve a purpose in the Star Wars universe.

15. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree, he is an important character.

I don't really agree with Go-Mer, though. I think many Star Wars fans are like Han - cynical. Maybe not in other kinds of situations, but when it comes to Star Wars, they have developed a cynisism that forbids them to accept stuff like Jar Jar.
    Me, I don't want to be like Han. I'm like Jar Jar and I'm damn proud of it.

Xeltek, 1981-2005 - rest in peace @};-
    /LM

16. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    I have become apathetic to Jar Jar over the years and really don't mind watching TPM when it comes on TV.

17. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "I think Han Solo is the character we wish we were but we aren't, while Jar-Jar is the character we wish we weren't, but we are."

I agree with this 100%.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I've always been fond of Jar Jar, but then I may be a bit biased as my family has a dog who looks (and acts like) Jar Jar, so I really couldn't hate him. He's also someone I can sympathize with as all he wanted to do was to help people and wound up getting shafted.

As for why he's hated and villified by so many, I feel that he doesn't reflect what people want to see in Star Wars. As has been stated earlier in this thread, a lot of people had this idea of Star Wars being with good guys fighting bad guys, cool aliens and space battles. The thought that there are aliens who are different from the mold (and aimed at more of a youthful audience) defies this view and so they'll do everything they can do to stop it, whether it be wishing death upon him or just tuning him out despite the fact that he played a pivotal role in the story. Also, Jar Jar and young Anakin denote the innocence in the film and that the true corruption is still in the peripheral view and not the direct view as it is in the later films and this is tough to deal with for those who are so used to the villany being in the direct view.

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    People who complain about the PT not having every aspect similar to the OT bother me. So the only way to tell a good followup story is to regurgitate the original plot, eh? How restrictive can you get with your imagination? Jar Jar is different from any other character in the saga, and I think because he personified that utter turn around from the style of the OT to quite a degree, people focused their hatred on him. Personally, I like Jar Jar. I think he encapsulates all the qualities the OT characters had - kind hearted, humorous, well-meaning, flawed. Even if he's not the most courageous character in the series, he always tries to do the right thing, often with the expectation that it will (and often does) blow up in his face. He is every bit a part of the Star Wars cast. He's just radically different in appearance and form from what was seen before. (And it makes sense. The prequels take place in a galaxy where an chauvanist, speciest empire isn't in control.)

20. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    I've never hated him.

21. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    Jar Jar reminds of the kid in school that people didn't really like but eventually people took pity upon and gave him an important task, only to have him wreck everything that you held near and dear to your heart.

Let's not forget that it was through Jar Jar's stupidity that brought to the floor of the Senate the motion to give Palpy emergency powers and thus lift Palpy to Emperor.

Don't have sympathy for the idiot of the saga. How many died because of Jar Jar's stupidity?

22. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Oh for goodness sake...how many people died because the Jedi were so arrogant in the belief of their omniscient power that a Sith Lord rose up right beneath their noses? How many people died when Yoda brought the armies to Geonosis and started the Clone Wars? How many people died when Yoda chose to save Anakin and Obi Wan rather than stop Dooku? How many died when Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side? Don't be unfair. If the greatest Jedi Master of the PT was fooled by Palpatine, then there was little hope for anyone to do better. What Jar Jar did *was* right to many at face value, without the knowledge of Palpatine's true intention. There are alot of individuals who would have taken similar action. Jar Jar is just one of many who were tricked and ultimately victimized by Palpatine. Besides, Jar Jar merely proposed the movement - it was the Senate that had to ratify it. Don't they have blame then, too, considering how many senators allowed corruption and fear to direct their vote?

There are alot of people directly and indirectly responsible for Palpatine's rise; the person whose hands are the most bloodied is Palpatine himself. Blaming Jar Jar alone for something that ultimately likely would have happened anyway isn't much proof toward villainy on the character's part.

23. lightsaver

Jan 8, 2005
    =D=

well put ,Chaotic_Serenity, i was about to say that myself.

24. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    qui gon appreciated jar jar. all you need is love

25. TrueJedi

Jun 22, 2000
    how many people died because the Jedi were so arrogant in the belief of their omniscient power that a Sith Lord rose up right beneath their noses?

Yeah, right, let's all blame it on the Jedi. :p

The reality is that the Jedi could not see the rise of the Sith simply because that's what it says in the script. The Jedi didn't do anything wrong; it's just that the Sith did everything right.

How many people died when Yoda brought the armies to Geonosis and started the Clone Wars?

Yoda did not start the Clone Wars. The Separatists started the war and Yoda sent in an army to rescue the trapped Jedi. How is that bad? Since when is saving your friends wrong? Come on.

How many people died when Yoda chose to save Anakin and Obi Wan rather than stop Dooku?

Again, saving the Chosen One from death was the right thing to do. If Yoda had not saved Anakin and Obi-Wan, then the Sith would have won and all hope would have been lost.

How many died when Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side? Don't be unfair.

I'm not being unfair. You're not really paying attention and you're making me have to explain what should be obvious. Anakin turning to the darkside was bad but the Sith controlling the galaxy was worse and that was made possible by Jar Jar.

If the greatest Jedi Master of the PT was fooled by Palpatine, then there was little hope for anyone to do better.

It's one thing to be fooled but it's another thing to be a vital tool in his plans for galactic control.

What Jar Jar did *was* right to many at face value, without the knowledge of Palpatine's true intention. There are alot of individuals who would have taken similar action.

Since when is surrendering your rights a good thing? There was nothing right about it and no one but Jar Jar was stupid enough to make such a proposal.

Jar Jar is just one of many who were tricked and ultimately victimized by Palpatine. Besides, Jar Jar merely proposed the movement - it was the Senate that had to ratify it. Don't they have blame then, too, considering how many senators allowed corruption and fear to direct their vote?

But no one was willing to make the motion. Even though Palpy had alot of control, he couldn't get anyone else to make the motion except for Jar Jar.

There are alot of people directly and indirectly responsible for Palpatine's rise; the person whose hands are the most bloodied is Palpatine himself. Blaming Jar Jar alone for something that ultimately likely would have happened anyway isn't much proof toward villainy on the character's part.

The only one responsible for making the motion to grant the Chancellor emergency powers was Jar Jar. And for that, he should be forever spit upon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.