main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Why all the EU Hatred?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JediMJS, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't dislike the EU, a lot of it is well done.

But stuff like the Galaxy Gun & the Sun Crusher just copied the whole "Empire builds a superweapon and the Rebels destroy it" thing from the movies and bringing back the Emperor was unoriginal. Doesn't matter who thought of it, it was dumb.
    Even the Legacy stuff had an Empire ruled by a Sith Lord to be destroyed by a guy called Skywalker (where have I seen that before I wonder?).
    I don't deny some of it is readable and well-written, but original it aint.

More original EU like NJO or video game stuff like KOTOR needs to be made. Or more of the X-Wing and Death Troopers type of stuff.

2. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Quin'sal'nuruodo Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Well to answer your question yes while I believe this is a great opportunity to get people interested with the books, I do admit that it isn't fair to those who are to lazy to exorcism there imaginations and READ something god it ain't that hard. Also did you have a great understanding nature as to the event in OT, I don't think so like i've said before you don't need to give an abundance of information but remember that every great main character has a past that at first were not sure of until the time is right to unveil it.

3. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    Ok i'm sick of this crap what exactly makes the post RotJ so bad. Explain to me why. They gave birth to a new Jedi order that in my personal opinion are stronger and more put together the the old republic Jedi.

4. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The NJO seems to be a source of much of the EU hatred! I hated Death Troopers (because I don't care too much for Sci-Fi/Horror crossovers, probably), but I agree that more of the X-Wing type of stories would be good reads -- we have already had the Crosscurrent/Riptide duology, Scourge and Mercy Kill.

Personally, I would really like a follow on to the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight videogame series.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think the NJO is well written and it went on far too long, but at least it was a different story idea. And the Vong were cool I thought, plus Boba & the Mandalorians were badass

6. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Force blocking sloths!

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Which, to be fair, feature in only a small minority of the books -- and there is a need for Jedi to show that they can think their way through a disadvantageous situation, rather than being "Supermen of the Force" all the time.

8. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    Your bias hate for the EU is a foolish thought considering your lack of knowledge. The fact that you have not read at least the Thrawn Trilogy seals the fact that you are not the fan you say you are, because if you had read them you would understand the depth of effort Timothy Zahn put in to make them have the same appeal and taste as OT. While I will agree that not all things EU are great like the Dark empire series however the novels overall have taken those of us who are ok with change and expanding our knowledge of Star Wars on a journey that gave us a better picture of the characters we adored. So to all of those that look down on the EU remember that while you were twiddling your thumbs waiting for more movies we the true fans kept the legacy of Star Wars alive. Your opinion I will hear but my respect only goes to those who understand what they dislike.

9. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    But still force blocking sloth! Considering the Force is meant to flow all living things. A force blocking amulet or some other decent focus. Even if Thrawn had learned some kind of bad ass meditation , in which non force users could block the force!

10. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Not a real fan? Anyone who has a passion for the movies (Most of them anyway) IMO is a real fan!

eht13 and Mystery_Roach like this.
  11. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    A new Jedi order would have been formed without pulp novels anyway. That is the reason Ben Kenobi and Yoda train up Luke Skywalker!

eht13 likes this.
  12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Techniclly they use the Force. They just mess with Force Users connection as a defense mechanism against their main Predators Vonkyrs that can Use the Force as well

So no they don't totally block it. Hell they use it too

13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hundred Deaths of Darh Maul

14. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    But sloths man! What next force messing sea monkey's?

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's really that bothersome to you?

16. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Well as much as really bad idea do then yes, yes it does! Maybe the next super weapon, could be a massive space squirrel, floating through space, undetected by the force, hiding the remnants of the Imperial fleet!

17. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    Have you read I, Jedi or the X-wing series cause if you have SHUT UP

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Hey I like EU but Kyp and Corran are kinda eh...
    This is the same franchise that gave us Ewoks, Gungans and the Glove of Darth Vader. If you want to complain, complain about this and get the **** over a fictional animal capable of blocking fictional peoples connection to a fictional energy field

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Where in my post do I indicate a biased hate for the EU? All I said was that I consider it separate from the movies and that I'd rather believe either Lucas's version of what happens after ROTJ or my own than some random authors'. Incidentally though, as it happens I am reading the Thrawn trilogy right now, and although I will see it through to the end with an open mind, so far I can't say I'm impressed.

eht13 likes this.
  20. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    As a fan of the EU I beg you to please chill out. You are really giving us a bad name here. At least try and show some respect. Not everyone needs to like the things you do.

Artoo-Dion , Mystery_Roach and Esg like this.
  21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So much this

22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I have. Corran Horn is an uninteresting Mary-Sue of a character.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So telling other posters to "SHUT UP" is OK now?

24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Didn't help a certain hot-headed young Jedi :p

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. Han Shot First

Nov 29, 2012
    Wow man, take a chill pill! Telling people to shut up etc is just not sporting at all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.