main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Luke marry mara jade?

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by jedi_kiss_rock_, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    What's wrong with Luke? He's a noble, brave and loyal guy. He may not be a former scoundrel like Han, but I don't think people will find a more loyal friend than Luke. Any guy that will face the Emperor alone for a one in a million shot to redeem someone, is guy worth admiration to me. I don't get how so many people can be down on Luke, yet like Star Wars. Afterall, until Episodes I-III, it really did feel to me like it was mostly Luke's story. I thought he was the title character in "Return of the Jedi." Now I think it's Anakin's redemption that is the basis of the title.

As for not liking the EU, I'll never understand that. I think people that completely discount it haven't found the good aspects, or are unwilling to accept anything outside the small window of the movies. Twelve to sixteen hours of film isn't enough of the Star Wars universe to me. I think the ships look aged for a reason, and characters like Dexter make reference to their past to allude to greater things beyond what we see. If you don't like things, don't accept them, but don't shut out the entire EU because of a few rotten apples. Afterall, even Lucas screwed up some things for me, like with the midiclorians (don't know the spelling, don't like it enough to find out) and with Anakin acting so... hyper. I wasn't crazy about Ewoks taking out "a legion of my best men" either. But that didn't stop me from enjoying the gold among the pyrite.

Dwayne

2. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Some fanfiction is better in content and writing than EU, and even I've had my own ideas outside of the Classic Trilogy for what happened, but the point isn't that the classic trilogy is the only true Star Wars in the universe--the point is that the stuff on the shelves these days don't go with the same flow. It's not the same story anymore. The characters aren't even evolving like they ought to. I expect exciting surprise, but not embarassment over the surprises in the new stories. Anyway, I don't think Mara ever redeemed Luke. But the original question was "Why did Luke and Mara marry?" My reply would be "the author married them."

3. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I don't really think Mara redeemed Luke either, but then I was never of the opinion he needed redemption since I never bought into that Dark Horse comic where he went to the dark side. Though, I did buy into the notion of Fett returning since I thought he died stupidly. Your point about the author marrying them is a good one. It's the way I look at Chewie. Why did Chewie die? It's not because <cause of death left blank for those still wanting to read Vector Prime>, it's because Del Ray killed him. As for the characters not evolving, I kind of get that sense too. It's like authors are afraid to move forward them, with the exception of having all the new characters come along to tell Luke he's: A) a whiner, B) wrong, C) too soft, D) misinformed, E) a relic, F) not as cool as Corran (wait, that's Stackpole that implies that), G) All of the above. It seems to me often that the authors are trying to write about characters that have their personalities stuck in a moment. Lando is still a swindler (and I think that Lando became responsible after realizing turning in Han was wrong), Han is a trouble maker, Leia will never learn the Force. Meanwhile all of the EU characters change. I've thought about writing fanfic, but I think to avoid offending people, or being stuck in a mold, I would write about my own characters. I'm not sure how many fanfic people do this, but I'd avoid the FCs altogether. I would have to say that my two biggest complaints about the EU are the treatment of Luke, and that the galactic Senate often seems one dimensional. I think someone with common sense would be in there. In times of war or conflict, even our congress tends to agree about the big issues. I mean, they see the YV wipe out one planet, poison another and take out one of the republic's flagships plus a flight of the newest fighters and their response, "There's no invasion, it's over..." And then they go back to accusing all the Jedi of being bad for the galaxy even though it's one or two bad eggs. I should have broken this paragraph about fifteen sentences ago. Anyway, if you read the Rogue or Wraith books (particularly the Wraith ones, or Starfighters of Adamar) you don't have to deal with the main characters. Some of them appear, but they're not the focus. And I think that Wedge, Wes and Hobbie actually do evolve, granted they would have to considering Wedge has the most lines in the films, and that's less than ten.

Dwayne

4. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
  5. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    First of all, I don't dislike Luke. Look at my icon. Second, the word I probably should have used, was that Mara cleared a few things up for Luke. He knew something was wrong but couldn't put his finger on it. Like, Duane, I need more than what the movies offer and like Marcy, I agree that some of the characters need a little more development. It depends on the author. They all have their own priorities and characters they prefer. Mike Stackpole likes Corran Horn, Aaron Allston likes the Wraiths and Wedge, Tim Zahn is into the Mara character. I like some better than others. I think Lucas is becoming a little more accepting of the EU because they are putting a push on continuity in the books. He has actually stolen some ideas from the EU. I just enjoy anything written Star Wars.
    As for fanfiction, I am entertained by most of it but do not like AU stories that totally distort the characters of SW. I have seen too many that turn Luke bad and his entertainment is beating the crap out of Han. I have written some fanfiction. I use the current characters but prefer to fill in gaps that are lacking in the EU. For example, how Tycho and Winter finally get together and Han and Leia's wedding and their first year. Whatever!!!!!!

6. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I think, in the end, to me, it all comes down to the fact that the EU is not the films. They don't, and really shouldn't carry the same weight as the films. To me, I have to treat them as professional fanfiction rather than canon because there is so much shabby character treatment/evolution. There is not author that I can truly say captured the feel of Star Wars in all its facets.

Granted, to do that is difficult, but I hate watching my fave fandom get butchered in the attempt. And I have to say that even Mara got jipped too, as she has lost her feisty-ness in NJO and seems to have become colorless at times. I read the Zahn trilogy, and I have to say she was a great character with great potential. I don't believe that now, though. She's been treated just as shabbily as the other major characters, despite becoming a fixture through Shannon Baksa.

In the end, I don't think the EU does justice to our characters, and they are hardly fulfilling, at least to me. They just continually irritate. The Mara/Luke is just one of many things that irritate me about the EU.

Again, though, everyone's opinion is valid on this issue! In the end, we are all right and all wrong. And I think it's fabulous that we all view this issue from such differing angles--it adds spice to life!

I remembered that Saturday night at a party when I extolled the virtues of Leia/Carrie over Padme/Natalie, not realizing one in the group was a staunch Natalie lover. I recanted my ignorance, apologized for offending her, stated that it's all "to each, his own" anyway, and life is good. :)

So, Mara-lovers/EU-lovers, I commend you. And Mara-haters/EU-haters, I commend you, too. It's all good!

7. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    ... please don't hit me...

8. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    I think you summed it all up. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.