main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why do you think GL removed this from AOTC?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Raskolnikov, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2003
    For the End Titles on the OST for AOTC - at the conclusion of a beautiful (and haunting) rendition of "Across the Stars" - Anakin's Theme can clearly be heard wrapping up the piece with intermittent hints of the Imperial March. Not only does this piece of the music act as a harbinger of things to come, but it is a beautiful piece of music!

Why in the world did GL remove this from the End Movie?

I for one would like to have this reinserted into the final DVD release of AOTC, whenever it comes out (I am one of those people who will sit through the end credits!).

2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Apparently because the track length didn't match up with the length of the credits. Not a very good reason, but there you go...

3. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    I thought I remembered somebody saying that it did fit the end credits. But even if it didn't, why not alter the speed of the credits slightly, or just edit the music a little ?[face_plain]

4. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    From the JWFan complete score analysis:

Insult o­n top of injury. After his slaughter of the score in the film, George Lucas neglected to preserve Williams' original end credits -- again, for no apparent reason. Williams originally composed for the credits: (a) the traditional main Star Wars theme (possibly the TPM recording in the film), (b) an arrangement of the love theme very similar to his concert suite "Across the Stars" (Track 2 o­n the CD), with some very significant alterations. To start with: in "Across the Stars," the final movement features a harp solo. In the end credits, it's a harpsichord. Then, instead of a conventional ending, we get an exquisite quote of Anakin's theme from a solo horn. It's an incredibly powerful moment ... it feels like an elegy, a reminder of something that has now been lost. The final subdued passage insidiously weaves together the love theme and the Imperial March. A perfect ending, o­ne that sums up the whole undercurrent of the film. And Lucas simply cut it out. No conflicting special effects, no time requirements ... we can o­nly assume that he didn't like it. That's not a point in his favor.

I never could understand this one myself. ?[face_plain]

5. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    I played the album cue against the credits once and the credits lasted about 30 seconds longer than the music.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I have no explanation for this that doesn't violate the TOS in a number of ways. I HATE what Lucas/Burtt did to the brilliant end credits music that Williams composed.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "or just edit the music a little"

Yes! By all means, edit the AOTC soundtrack more!

8. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Basically it should have been planned alot better. What's even worse is that while they elongated the credits, the cast list still looked retarded. I mean they had Dipika O'Neill Joti as playing Depa Billaba for the stock footage they showed of the back of her head in a council scene, yet Christopher Truswell who did the voice of San Hill as well as others was not even mentioned. Or if they like having background Jedi in the credits, how about adding Mary Oyaya as Luminara Unduli or Nalini Krishan as Barriss Offee. Which leads me to believe whoever did that cast list at the end of the credits really didn't do their job at all. I won't even get into them crediting Alan Ruscoe as playing "Lott Dod" when the man under the mask was David Healey and the voice was altered by a computer. Or having Susie Porter credited as playing Hermione Bagwa but not the voice of WA-7.

Christopher Truswell, Mary Oyaya, Nalini Krishan, Jesse Jensen, Liam Neeson, David Healey, Graeme Blundell, Trisha Noble, Claudia Karvan, Kiera Wingate, Hayley Mooy, Sandi Finlay, Amy Allen, Nicole Fentl, Zuraya Hamilton, Hilton Howson, John McEvoy, Orli Shoshan, Lily Nyamwasa, Mimi Daraphet, Tux Akindoyeni, Leonard Thomas, all should have made it to the credits. Even if their characters were cut and or had no lines.

It just made absolutely no sense. So the music being edited to elongate other parts of the credits, yet seeing the tragedy that was the final cast list, leads me to believe someone was a complete bafoon. :p

9. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Sithman, I said "edit the music a little", because even as a last resort, this still would have been far preferable to what actually happened: ripping the track out altogether and replacing it with the concert suite.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Stranger to sarcasm?

Anyways, personally, I could care less about what they did with the friggin' last 10 seconds of the end credits. For one, I never watch the credits all the way through. Secondly, if I do want to listen to the end credits, I'm not going to pop in my DVD, I'll just listen to my soundtrack.

Honestly, guys, it's not that big of a deal. Hardly anyone watches the end credits anyways.

Now, if it had been in the movie and you loved it, but not on the soundtrack, then I can understand. But the other way around... I just don't understand the whining.

11. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Stranger to sarcasm?

:_| It's true...

Now, if it had been in the movie and you loved it, but not on the soundtrack, then I can understand. But the other way around... I just don't understand the whining.

I think that for a lot of people, it pretty much symbolises Lucas' apparent disregard for the music. The end credits music didn't even need to be edited and it was anyway.

12. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Honestly, guys, it's not that big of a deal. Hardly anyone watches the end credits anyways.

I do.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    So do I.

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I don't.

My reasoning skills are far beyond yours.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I will usually stay for the credits in the theater once or twice for SW films (out of the approx. 14 times I saw TPM & AOTC in the theater). Once in awhile for others, but not often.

At home, the credits always play.

I've usually fallen asleep on the couch.

OK, even if I haven't, I'll often leave them play while I get up and do a few things about the house.

16. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002

I always watch the end credits of a movie - except for AotC, for the evident reason.

17. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I always watch the end credits of a movie - except for AotC, for the evident reason.

Same here.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I do the same thing our General does - except for falling asleep

19. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Speaking of butchered credits music, that's yet another reason to prefer the O-OT over the SEs.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Really, the question is WHY we think he removed this. The answer is either he's deaf or he needed more time in the credits. Personally I think there was a way to get more time but leave the end credits with the same ending.

21. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Could it be possible that Williams actually wrote this with only the album in mind? I don't see how the length of the credits could have changed so dramatically from when Williams wrote the music to when post-production wrapped.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot imagine that Williams would have intended the horribly bad edit in the end credits that currently links the TPM end titles beginning to the concert arrangement of Across the Stars. Somehow I think he has better taste than that.

23. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Personally I think there was a way to get more time but leave the end credits with the same ending.

I agree.

24. Dani1138

Nov 20, 2002
    Somehow I think he has better taste than that.

I'd like to think so too... But then I remember how Williams never wrote anything at all for the Geonosis battle, and we ended up with Phantom Menace: The Remixes. :(

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Also Lucas/Burtt and not Williams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.