main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why does Han Solo have to see Jabba in person to pay him back?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by J_Girl, Oct 10, 2012.

1. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Why couldn't Han send the payment a different way? I know he wanted to basically talk Jabba into lifting the bounty, but greedy seedy Jabba world revolved around his money and power. An exhorbitant amount of credits would have made the example of Solo he was looking for and paid him off as well. Solo had time to accumulate the money.

2. jawajunk

jawajunk Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2012
    I don't think Solo trusted Jabba's "Twerps", as it was evident when Greedo wanted to take the money in exchange for forgetting he had found Solo.

3. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree with that most definitely. But how about some sort of electronic means? I realize Jabba's deals were all an underground operation, but there was no way it was all face-to-face business anyway. So I'm thinking there was at least one way [probably more] his business transactions from afar, right?

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in Marvel SW (or the newspaper comics?) there's a scene where Han does send Jabba the money- and Jabba's reply is along the lines of "Tell Han 'thanks'- but as for calling off the bounty- fat chance!"

5. jawajunk

jawajunk Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2012
    What did Jabba accept as well?, the ROTJ just stated amounts, never what.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novels- the spice was worth 12,000 credits.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Jabba accepted certified bank transfer payments, and major credit cards if the payer would pay a fee to cover the transaction costs. He looked into PayPal but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

8. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I've looked it up and apparently the scene I mentioned wasn't Marvel or the newspaper comics- it was in The Rebel Thief.

10. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Jabba is more of a face to face type of guy.

11. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    This wasn't a case of Jabba wanting his money only. This was about Han undermining him and in a sense being summoned. He knew he had to try to appease Jabba's injured ego and get out from under his bounty. If he had just said, here you go, here's your money in a "telegram", iIt would have probably angered Jabba further because Han couldn't bother to come face him himself after all the trouble he'd put him through. Plus, they probably figured Han going away from Hoth to do so was less risky than sending out a payment and perhaps flagging where the base was to the Empire. Yes Han could be captured and tortured into giving that information but given his reputation it was probably felt to be the lesser of the two risks.

12. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for looking that up. I had all the Marvels and I didn't remember that, but then again when 900 years old you reach..."

I would think if Han was going to send payment he wouldn't do it from Hoth for a couple of reasons. One, no banks on Hoth. Two, he is smart enough to know not to do anything that would lead anyone back to the Rebel base which is part of the reason he decides to leave. He is afraid of putting Leia in danger if on missions with him or somehow somebody following him back. So, he could go to a system with the necessary ability to 'wire' the transaction and somewhere that couldn't be linked to the Alliance as well. We can give him that much credit can't we? He's a reasonably smart man that made a living of being a smuggler and that takes some know-how in these sorts of matters, I would imagine.

I think you make a good point of wanting to appease Jabba's ego, but I'm beginning to wonder if he felt more like he needed to go personally to make sure it was settled one way or another and keep the issue away from ever coming back to bite him or Leia or anybody else he cared about.

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What, no galaxy wide "pay pal"?

J_Girl likes this.
  14. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    12,000 credits or so? What's to stop the middlemen from taking the money and running?

17. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    i'm sure Jabba had ways of accepting and making payments other than using middlemen. I doubt, he could do much off-world business otherwise. I don't know, maybe I'm just over-thinking this and it was just a plot device to keep Solo from officially joining the Rebellion while giving him an obstacle to overcome as a hero.

It just bugs me though. Other criminals and those 'flying under the Imperial radar' -including the Alliance- had to have ways of handling transactions without constant in-person meetings, Han and Leia had to be aware of those channels. Pay the slimy Hutt his money with a little extra to soothe his sensitivities and then see where it lands. At that point, Jabba may decide he doesn't want to pay out the bounty and that Han isn't worth the trouble. It's not as if Han & Chewie had continued to smuggle for other crimeworld magnets besides the Alliance. So he wasn't exactly out there snubbing his nose at Jabba and still working away as if he got away with something. For all intents and purposes, Jabba knew Solo was off the smuggling grid and laying low... very low. Han went from Jabba's top smuggler/spice runner to Bantha poodoo in that time. It had been approximately 3 standard years. That in itself stood as an example to other smugglers not to cross Jabba. Did Jabba really think it still worth his precious credits? Even when Chewie is brought in, there is bargaining about how much he is willing to pay. I thought the bounty amount was supposedly advertised, so what is with asking Boushh how much 'he' wanted for Chewie?

18. Andrelious

Andrelious Jedi Knight

Sep 26, 2012
    What's the stated reason for Han not simply paying Jabba back between ANH and ESB?

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I believe it was in the Marvel Comics series that pirates stole the reward money, leaving Han empty-handed.

I was always under the impression that he never got the money back after that incident and was avoiding the inevitable until it got to be too much - not only was the price on his head endangering himself and Chewie, but others as well (namely, Leia and Luke; again this is all going from the Marvel Comics series). To me, he was going to see Jabba in person to try and smooth things over since he didn't have the money in hand and maybe even talk his way out of owing it altogether. That was sure to be a death sentence (and Leia knew this judging by her reaction to him leaving in ESB), but he was determined to pull it off to protect his friends.

Then again, that's if you follow the EU and accept it as part of the storyline.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  20. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a lot of good info! Now, if you didn't have that to go with and say one didn't follow/accept the EU, what do you think?

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If you just watch the movies I have no idea how you can justify it. Unless you don't know about the 3 year jump between ANH and ESB. If you watch it you could assume the move happened rather quickly.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which is ironic, given that PayPal is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

eht13 likes this.
  23. Wish I Were Aayla

Wish I Were Aayla Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2012
    HA, I LOVE this question! I suppose it is a great way to humble the scruffy-looking nerf-herder!

24. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Well, despite the argument in ANH, it may be that Jabba wanted to discuss in large of the issue and the context as to know exactly why Han dropped the shipment into space after being spotted by the an Imperial ship. And as to why as his employee, Han didn't come back...

25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I thought the Rebel Alliance paid enough to Han for him to pay off Jabba in ANH?