main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does ROTS' opening pretend Palpatine is not Sidious?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by -maynard-, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    i dont get it. in anakin/obi-wan vs. dooku, the camera cuts to palpatine cheering the Jedi like he's at a baseball game

dooku obviously knows who he is-the whole thing was staged.

who in the audience doesnt know who palpatine is? excluding the OT, the guy under the hood is clearly Palpatine. why else would this palpatine guy be plastered all over the movies if he was completely innocent?

its painfully obvious who he was, that his cheering was an insult to anyone's intelligence

somebody? anybody?

2. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    they left it that way for all the kiddies that don't know

3. Darth_Fruit_Fly

Darth_Fruit_Fly Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2005
    If Palpatine would have revealed himself at THIS juncture, Anakin and Obi-Wan would have killed him. It's as simple as that.

4. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I guess to anybody who has not read the novel, it would appear that Dooku does not know that Palps/Sid's are the same Person.

5. -maynard-

Jun 1, 2005
    i hate it!:mad:

6. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    My 7 year old son didn't realize that Sidious and Palpatine were the same person
    until Anakin turned. This is the same moment my son realized that OT Darth Vader
    was Anakin. It was an awesome moment of discovery to experience with my child.
    It was, really, the only way to recreate the ESB surprise of my childhood.

Kudos to GL for crafting the tale that way. It was a fanatastic parent/child
    moment.

7. -maynard-

Jun 1, 2005
    he doesnt have to reveal himself. he just doesnt have to cheer like Manny Ramirez just parked one

8. -maynard-

Jun 1, 2005
    ok. but what about when dooku tells obi-wan in AOTC that a dark lord of the sith has control of the republic and hundred of senators on under that lord's influence?

he didnt know who that person was?

9. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Well, I think Dooku was just playing on Obi Wan's attachment to Qui Gon and
    desire to save the Republic. It was the "join me, and together" moment of
    AOTC akin to ESB. I think Dooku absolutely knew who and what Palpatine was,
    especially since he was not latched to Coruscant and blinded by the darkside
    in the manner of the Jedi council.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not everyone figured out Palpatine was Sidious. Some foolishly believed that there was a twist. A clone, a twin or genetic freak. Something. But for storytelling purposes, Lucas treats the PT as if it's someone's first time watching the Saga in order. Or for someone who has seen the clues planted and are making the connection. Palpatine must continue with his charade until the time has come, which is does when he reveals himself to Anakin. This sequence is designed to make the audience start to realize, if they haven't already, that Palpatine is not the benevolent figure that he seems to be.

And Dooku does know that Palpatine is Sidious, even without the books to help you. His shocked look is one of betrayal. Not to mention that he never once makes an advance on killing Palpatine, during the duel, would be a huge clue. His whole speech to Obi-wan was a double front. First, to get Obi-wan to join the Sith so that they could grow in rank and file. Second, if that failed, to confuse the Jedi and sow the seeds of their eventual destruction. They'll figure it out sooner or later and come knocking on Palpatine's door. Only he'll be ready for it and will use it to sanction "Order 66." Third, Dooku's unaware that he's setting up his own demise.

11. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    good point,but all he say's is :

OBI-WAN: The truth?

COUNT DOOKU: The truth. What if I told you that the
    Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lords of the
    Sith?

OBI-WAN: No, that's not possible. The Jedi would be aware
    of it.

COUNT DOOKU: The dark side of the Force has clouded their
    vision, my friend. Hundreds of Senators are now under the
    influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious.

OBI-WAN: I don't believe you.

This does not suggest that he know's Sideous/Palpatine's true identity

12. ObiWanIsTheOne

ObiWanIsTheOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    What are you people talking about? He didn't do the little cheer to confuse the audiance. The Jedi were holding their own against Dooku. He wasn't "faking" anything. He had no further use for Dooku. He wanted Dooku to lose. He was cheering Anakin on.

13. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    This does not suggest that he know's Sideous/Palpatine's true identity

Actually, it does. He basically tells Obi-Wan the whole truth, he just leaves out the words "Supreme", "Chancellor" and "Palpatine".

BTW: It's not obvious to everyone that Palpatine is Sidious. Let it go.

This kind of anger is so unnecessary
    /LM

14. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    I have tons of friends who arent into star wars have no clue at all that palpatine was sidious

15. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    A lot of people who are not really SW fans but casual viewers weren't aware of the Palps=Sidious identity. Perhaps even the majority of the "normal" viewers weren't aware, I guess. I even know people who call themselves fans and weren't aware until ROTS.

16. sithjoe

sithjoe Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 13, 2002
    I read the book before going to see the movie, and I never got the impression that DT didn't know about Palps being Sids????

Sids was meant to help him if things got out of hand anyway.

As for the pretense, well he needed Anakin to repeat his failure at the Tusken camp, and murder again. Yes, it was a fair fight and all that, but he chose to murder DT.

When the time was right, Yoda away saving Wookies, Jedi council spread far and wide, then Palps played his trump card and 'everything proceeded as I have predicted..."

As far as the movie goes, believe it or not, there were some people who actually didn't know that Palps = Sids.

I for one am glad of this, as it makes ROTS watchable as a stand alone movie to the non-fan, as well as the third chapter in the series for us fans.

17. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    What are you people talking about? He didn't do the little cheer to confuse the audiance. The Jedi were holding their own against Dooku. He wasn't "faking" anything. He had no further use for Dooku. He wanted Dooku to lose. He was cheering Anakin on.

I agree. He didn't even want Dooku to win!

18. 3_Foot_Jedi

3_Foot_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Also, I've not seen TPM for a while but I seem to remember that at the end when Qui-Gonn's body is burning the camara focuses in on Palpatine while they are dicussing whether or not they had killed the Master or the Apprentice, which is the first time I became aware of it.

19. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Sidious acts like a coward because it is what's needed to turn Anakin, and to contrast Return of the Jedi's climax, plain and simple.
    I actually thought it was cool how they pretended like we didn't know who Palpitine really was -Lucas knows 90% of people watching realised it already anyway. It's like a comedy, almost. The Opening crawl is also from character POV rather than audience POV, describing Dooku as the Sith Lord, and the situation as a kidnapping.
    If you don't agree that there is a ROTJ link at all, read the Revenge of the Sith/Return of The Jedi thread on the Saga forum before you start with the flames =P~

20. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I noticed that just last week, it had been a long time since I watched TPM, and it was the first time I noticed it as well, nice foreshadowing by GL.

I agree as well. It looked to me like he was rooting for the more promising apprentice, Anakin.

21. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    I figured out Palpatine was Sidious at the end of Epiosde I when the camera pans to his side after Yoda and Mace talk.
    Dooku knew the truth as did Maul.
    The only inner-circle bad guys who didn't know were Jango and GG.
    And it was probably done for the kids.
    Which I can appriciate. It's sort of like a mystery that parents and older kids realize but the little one's do not and so when he reveals himself they are like "coooool!"
    (I was too, even though I knew, that was such a nice job by Ian)

22. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Dude, Palpatine has a multi-personality dis-order in which HE can control. He is in his Chancellor mindset during the whole begening, with some of his true self seeping through. Sidious is like God, dude. Grow up and get saved!

23. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    How is it that after the movie, the book, the rumors,some people just don't get it??

24. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Are you reffering to me, Sidios T?

I don't know what you are talking about if you are.

I don't personally like the character of Sidous at all. I love Palpatine but as Sidous I hate him. Hated him since 83. What a cheesy villan. His first scene in ROTJ cracks me up everytime and thats not GOOOD. Ruined ROTJ IMO.

Hahahahahahahaha!

What a joke....

25. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    It's all about illusion for the uninitiated. GL just took his time setting up the remainder of the story for the audience. It's also got a lot to do with the internal consistency of the storyline. The characters do not yet know that P=S and therefore the storyteller cannot pretend otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.