main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why does WNU still exist?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete_Seyk

Pete_Seyk Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2004
    I don't understand this debate... why are people wanting to take away a board that isn't hurting anyone?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    When a board has served its purpose or is unnecessary, it is closed. See...

http://boards.theforce.net/inactive_forums_jedi_council/c10090

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "Episode IV: No Spoilers Allowed - Discuss and speculate about the upcoming sequel to Revenge of the Sith." [face_laugh]

Random Comments likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think that one was part of an April Fool joke, if I recall correctly..:p

5. Pete_Seyk

Oct 2, 2004
    Regardless, the WNU will have a purpose after the move and it's not hurting anyone now through its existence.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that was an April Fool's joke. Wish it had stayed open, though.

7. Pete_Seyk

Oct 2, 2004
    Not wanting to rehash an old topic, but I was wondering is there's been any discussion on consolidating some forums and condensing the JCC as a whole after the move?

Considering the low amounts of activity on many boards, it wouldn't hurt to force members closer together by limiting the number of boards.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, actually. Pages and pages of discussion, and still going.

9. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I am with Amazing and think the "Greetings New Users" is a fine idea. You people have something against Gnus? Or is in New User prejudice I detect? Leave the column be and move on, there is nothing for you to discuss about it. ::Waves hand::[face_shame_on_you]

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ah, yes, the 'accuse people of bad motives' technique.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    ^hippocrite

12. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Except a lot of people never venture past that forum, WNU should be an informational thread, not a place where newbies can stick their heads in the clouds for the duration of their time here. But whatever, Care Bears and lollipops

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    STOP LIVING IN A DREAM AND START LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD.

a.k.a. the JCC

14. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I remember that forum, I hung out there for about a day. Full on 'Nerdvanna!' So many folks invited me to join role playing games, choose a 'squadron' and such.

Then I went to the 3SA forum and got my virtual @$$ handed to me. I then decided to become a complete prick on the boards and it has worked out pretty good so far.

I then found like minded individuals and the rest is history! ;)

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    WNU suddenly got a lot more relevant. ;)

16. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    And it's being used again. So there's that.

Random Comments likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I've had this discussion with Kate a decent amount recently, so I'll just bring it in here. WNU makes a lot more sense than a *lot* of the rest of this site, especially now that we have 1,000 newbs a day joining and spamming the server into submission. Even if it served no higher purpose, it would still be no less vexing as to why the same handful of people have so little to accomplish in their lives that this consistently is such a pressing issue with them. You don't have to go in there. Most of you do not go in there. I hate Fanforce:New Zealand, because it doesn't benefit my life. I don't know why such a forum exists. New Zealand does nothing for me, aside from spitting out overly long LOTR films.

Here is what WNU is NOT: WNU is much less an 'information kiosk' for people who "don't know how to post on teh interwebzez" and far more of a "shallow end" of this pool for people who don't feel quite ready or willing to go be drowned by all of you amazingly insightful and chatty cool kids who are so inspiringly graceful while swimming in the deep end. I post in there a lot to help steer it toward getting people ready to try the rest of the site and away from pillow fighting... and the vast majority of the JCers who opt to begin there tend to stick around and always check back in for their first 2-3 months, even if they are posting everywhere else. We have several who have been posting consistently in WNU for over a year, simply because they have just as much of a right to post on these boards as the rest of us self-rigtheous people with clearly too much time at our disposal... they simply like the pace to be a little more sheltered, sometimes.

I'm sorry that not everyone who signs up is blessed with the same award-winning personalities or outlook as us and so they don't want to get emotionally trampled in JCC while attempting to adapt to the boards. WNU isn't what you think it is. Clearly most of you haven't put much thought at all into 'what' it actually is. Or who it benefits. Because there a good group of kids in there who love the hell out of having a security blanket to fall back under at the end of their day on here. It isn't pillow fights. It serves as a more sheltered version of the rest of the boards for people who want to be here but don't need to be reading aimless vitriol like this thread and all of our superwonderful politics.

The analogy I gave Kate is this: If the JC is a giant, rampaging game of tag, the WNU serves as the street sign or tree or whatever that is used as "base". There will ALWAYS be those kids who say they want to play but then just hover around base because they aren't ready to keep up with everyone else, quite yet. Is it the same as actually being involved? Of course not. But, when they're ready, they will get in the actual game. If you really want to wreck the JC experience for kids who may be shyer or a little less socially gifted or simply just may need a simpler pace than the rest of us... well that is why we have this pointless thread.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Nice post, Mike.

19. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Have masters started signing up padawans yet? lol

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Guess what, there is no Fan Force New Zealand forum. It was deemed a waste of time and closed (threads can be tagged FF:NZ within the main Oceania forum).

Does WNU have an analogies 101 discussion you can go play in?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Sorry that it took so long for me to formulate a response, but I had to go have a good cry in the shower after suffering such a brutal semantics/signifier-based ownage. I don't know if your unparalleled discernment skills picked up on the context of my use of a non-existent entity as my choice of analogy in the 19 days available to so masterfully anaylze my post, but to interpret for the reading impaired: I name-checked a section of the boards that I wouldn't know the status of... because I do not waste my time checking up (or chiming in) on the relative necessity of things that I would love for others to believe are of little to no concern to me. But, thankfully, you were here to set me straight for my failed attempt to defend the people who use, invest in, and (to an extent) depend on a section of the boards that is evidently worth your overabundance of time to bait and derail a discussion over. I will feverishly await your amateurish retort about my lack of spellcheck skills or, perhaps, my grammar. Based on the length of time required to concoct a 2 sentence assault on my limited intellect, I'll check back the week before Christmas. Happy Thanksgiving. Also, this exchange does little to detract from my belief that you still maintain the best innuendo-laden avatar on this site. For the record.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Niiiiiice.

DarthTunick likes this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Good Lord, do you know how much I love you, jaypeethirty? Hope you and the fam had a nice turkey day.

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    So this discussion's kinda done, irrelevant, and derailing, so I'm gonna lock.

halibut, s65horsey and DarthBoba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.