main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Spider-Man is Better Than Star Wars: Take it for What it is

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    You know, I think RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK was a better directed and written movie than the first Star Wars. It's also scene for scene more exciting than the first. It was the biggest blockbuster of '81 as in the top twenty moneymaking movies of all time and is still a big favorite. Ask most people about Raiders and they'll say it's a great film and one of their favorites, but it still did not make nearly as much as the least favorite Star Wars movie. There are a couple Indiana Jones websites compared to like hundreds of Star Wars ones on the Web. Star Wars is more than just a movie.

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    To the guy who keeps defending Spiderman's dodgy effects because a CG Spidey is supposedly "more complicated to animate and render", here's a little reality check for you: Since Spiderman was the film's primary effect with little else to get in the way, they should have been able to do a better job because they should have been able to concentrate their energies on that one character. Compare this was Attack Of The Clones which his probably 1000x more effect work and about the only effect people can criticize is Anakin on the shaak, or whatever that ugly ass thing is called.

In other words, Spiderman blew its primary effect while Attack Of The Clones nailed about 99% of its effects work across the board.

3. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    the NY people save Spiderman?

i didn't know that. like i said, we haven't seen it yet in England.i thought there might be a typical, uplifting 'NY post 9/11' moment in it though.

i don't know how i feel about that.if it's anything like the Presidents speech in ID4, i may puke.

4. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Maybe if Lucas had started portraying Yoda as a NY city icon after the 9-11 this film would've done better. Then the New Yorkers could've saved him from Dooku and said "he's one of us"

5. Rupert_Pupkin

Rupert_Pupkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2002
    Yoda,

Don't be stupid. I was a long time Spider-Man and I can honestly say the changes were excellent. People who dont know jack**** about Spider-Man keep bringing up the name Gwen Stacey. You guys try and pretend you know something. Every comic book fan knows how goddamn retarded and pointless Gwen Stacey was. She was a stupid, boring, and a blonde bimbo. Why the hell would you introduce her in this movie just to kill her off? Then go through all the trouble again of reintroducing Mary Jane in the next? Peter being in love with Mary Jane was wonderful. Toby was the perfect Peter Parker. The scene where Peter catches Mary Jane's food and then she tells him that he has beautiful blue eyes, I love it. Peter doesn't say anything, he just smiles. That scene always brings a smile to my face.

6. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
  7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "I'm talking about Danny Elfman's musical score for Spider-Man. It's great. It seriously puts the AOTC score to shame. "

Give me the crack. It's bad for you.

AOTC is deeper than Spider-Man on about 10 different levels. I just can't help but believe that anyone who thinks that Spider-Man was a better film just didn't get AOTC or closed their mind to it.

8. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    the day you leave these forums will bring a bigger smile to my face.

9. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    ((In other words, Spiderman blew its primary effect while Attack Of The Clones nailed about 99% of its effects work across the board. ))

I disagree. Spider-Man did the same job on the same type of effect as AOTC did. Out of any special effect, people will always whine about humans being rendered because you cannot fool the human eye into thinking a fake human is real. While I was never fooled into thinking it was "real" I think the rendering, shadowing, lighting and tweening was fantastic.

When you see people complaining about how fake New York or the balloons looked, you'd have a point.

10. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Allright guys, cool it.

11. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    If the John Williams score was left untouched, then maybe I would think its better than Spider-man's score. Since Lucas destroyed it... i dont.

12. RETURN_OF_THE_SITH

RETURN_OF_THE_SITH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    bads of spider man
    -no web-shooters! what the hell!
    - green goblin suit! nuff said
    - spidey needs to be more wity! he only insulted his enemys like twice and never to green goblin! He has more insult in one comic than he did in the movie!why?

bads about starwars
    - the romance was bad(all the non starwars or spiderman fans i have asked said that the romance in it was really bad)
    - No jabba!!! couldn't we see him at east once. he was like the best part of epesode 1
    - I know I will probly be kicked out of the forem for this but I thought anikin was a bit winy.
    Good about spider man
    - the characters where portraid very good i thoght(definetly J johnah Jameson)
    - good last fight.
    - fun to watch
    Star wars
    - the characters where portraid very good i thoght (definatly mace windu)
    - good last fight.
    - fun to watch
    As you can see you can pick apart each of them pretty good but somethings are just plane true

13. Whorton99

Whorton99 Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2001
    I have to agree, the Spider-Man score was lackluster to say the least. It made no effective use of themes, and I consider that key to getting an emotional response during an action film.

The music in AOTC (and all Star Wars films) truly works as another tool in telling the story.

14. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Allright guys, cool it.

I've said that about five times already. [face_laugh]

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I wish there was a way to ban certain people from my thread ;)

ST

16. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    WOW!!!

17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    It won't do any good for me to say this, but what the heck. Let's get back on topic. :)

St

18. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    As for the comics - Spider-Man the movie matched the feel of the original comics much more than the recent comics do! Venom, Carnage, etc. are all "fanboy service" creations that, while at times interesting, do not match the original tone of the book.

As for the scores, I liked Elfman's Spider-Man score quite a bit (although I like AOTC's score more). I laugh when people say "it doesn't have a memorable theme!" - I recognize the various themes immediately when I hear them. They're a bit more complex than Batman's, and are not as intrusive as Batman, Superman or AOTC due to Spider-Man being a more understated character in general, and the dialogue and emotions not needing the extra push that they needed at times in the aforementioned movies.

19. Rupert_Pupkin

Mar 10, 2002
    No webshooters for Spidey was good. The spider bite changed Peter's body. Gave him strength, ability to climb walls, spidey senses. It makes perfect sense that he also gets Spider webbing! It was plain unbelieve that he would created webshooters. Plain retarded.

20. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Rupert and abmccray-a match made in heaven.

21. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Spidey's FX wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for ANH. i know SFX existed, but let's face it ILM opened the door for the modern day FX houses.Right?

22. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    YodaoftheSith...ST...

please tell me something to make me think that I am not alone in my gripes! :D

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

Jun 27, 2001
    Which gripes would that be? ;)

ST

24. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    That spiderman was a lackluster movie...

25. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    YodaoftheSith just told you hard RP...

I love it when people get whats coming to them..and then try to back up their beliefs with no facts and get told also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.