main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Spider-Man is Better Than Star Wars: Take it for What it is

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by ST-TPM-ASF-TNE, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RETURN_OF_THE_SITH

RETURN_OF_THE_SITH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    think about this, if he go web powers why would he have web come from his hands? wouldn't come from his a$$ like a real spider? it makes better story if he made himself web shooters. Sorry but having have no web shooters is a insult to someone who reads the comics

2. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Your my hero [face_blush]

3. PLO--KOON

PLO--KOON Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2001
    I think it took advantage of the negative backlash of TPM. Having commercials with good reviews and getting the "good" word out to the people and as Griffz stated before the people believed it oh well I liked Attack Of the Clones way better than spider man so that's all I care about.

4. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    EXACTLY!

Now he has to foil all future thoughts with more brute strength than problem solving, cause if all of a sudden he becomes a genius in the sequels....it comes out of nowhere!

and then the spidey gushers will say WELL YOUR SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT HES A GENIUS, IT SAYS SO IN THE COMICS...well then my friends, then dont say the movie is a completely separate entity from the comics and admit that they messed something big up.

5. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    NO webshooters? WTF!? i used to love it in the comics when mid battle the cartridges would run dry.That sucks!

pffft! :(

6. Darth_Yorrick

Darth_Yorrick Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    yes, Danny Elfman is getting lazy...

i didnt like his work on spiderman (where was the theme: spiderman, spiderman,...?)

7. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    Elfman didnt do JP3....Don Davis did...but as a Danny Elfman fan...he really really really F'd up Spiderman....here he was given the opportunity to create a score for a huge comic sensation and he did nothing for it...it was a half a$$ lazy effort

8. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    YOTS, of course you scared him away. He's a troll who can't back up what he says.

9. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    indeed he is....I dont know why oh why he hasnt gotten banned. Whenever he goes to any thread all he does is bash bash bash. Wasting his time to bash Star Wars in a Star Wars forum.

10. nidiwan

nidiwan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2002
    I hated Spiderman! i think holiwood used it to try to kill starwars.. starwars is awesome and these stupid critics should stop critizing it for being a great movie..

11. ShiftyJedi

ShiftyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    First of all: Rupert get out of here. Go to some Spiderman board were they pay homage to a second rate movie.

As for the Matrix: I was a fresh story with classic concepts and imbraced new camera angles, fighting techniques, 21st Century effects. They used these effects to their advantage because no feature film used them before. Is it going to reach Star Wars magnitude, No. I loved the Matrix and can't wait for the next two to come out. I'm glad we have The Matrix whetear or not it will stand up in the future is not for me to decide. This is the same way I feel about Lord of the Rings.

As for Spider-Man: I was a fun film. I never felt that I got ripped off paying 7.25 to see this film. Where does it stand in Cinamatic Histroy, right behind Batman. There was nothing original about the film, The Green Goblin was a Two-Face rip-off (from Batman Forever), The transformation of the Norman to Green Goblin was an X-Man rip-off, the love story was a rehash version of every love story in hollywood since the sixties, and the costumes were straight from Power Rangers.
    Some things I had to cringe at, the opening title screen come on couldn't they have used the Bank robbery scene as the title screen. I would make a great pre-embelm to the story. The CG stunk, it wasn't even 1997 CG (The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, and Wing Commander all had better CG) it was just awful it distracted from what Sam Raimi does best-the Camera Angles. Please don't compare this film to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the first and second TMNT film's were very kiddy with some adult humor, but they were fun and much more true to the roots (minus Be-Bop, Rocksteady, and Crane).

I want to leave Spiderman alone, really I do. I want tell people that I like ATOC alot better, but at the same time keep both films at the same plateu so people will see both and decide for themselves. Unfortunalty, yellow journalism done by a bunch of Starbucks dwellers can't let it go!

12. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well, in defence of the film, the organic web shooters are more believable than mechanical ones. I mean they already have us believing in all his other powers, adding web shooters isn't going to strain our suspension of disbelief. But to have us believe that he could make these mechanical things that shoot out unlimited webbing that can stick to anything and hold the weight of a cable car, I don't think so. The organic shooters were a good move.

It was still only a slightly better than average comic book movie though.

13. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    the organic shooters dont bother me as much as the fact that GG was rediculous as was the second half of the movie with minimal and second rate action which lasted 2 mins.

the movie was good....but it was a VERY VERY VERY big disappointment

14. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    does Spiderman have a scene as intense as the tusken slaughter or as dramatic as Anakins confession? or does it have a scene as crowd pleasing as Yoda Vs Dooku? i know it doesn't.it's your Formulaic, lets mess up a good comic book, bog standard superhero film.probably.

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Here's something positive yet negative about Spider-Man.

I think it's the best comic book tale since the original Batman. But AOTC and the rest of Star Wars are vastly superior to it.

There :D

ST

16. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    My personal answer to this thread: a lot of people have gotten tired of the SW saga. (I still enjoy it)

Spider-Man is something different for a change. It takes place right here on Earth with issues that teens really care about today. Lots of teenage boys can relate to the quiet, socially withdrawn Peter Parker who has a crush on the girl next door and he finally gets the opportunity to get close to her. But he won't allow himself to. That's partly what made the movie so popular.

'Better' is AMOP

17. JBFett

Feb 15, 2002
    I must go as well...time for a 3pm lunch!

Take it easy!

18. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    *bangs head against thread*

RAAAAAR! Why does Star Wars have to be compared to EVERYTHING! Can't anybody just ENJOY it?!

This is ridiculous.

Rant over.

TVB.

19. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The question is, which base creates the bigger Spider-Man vs AOTC conflict? The fan bases, or the critic bases?

ST

20. Ded-Man

Ded-Man Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2002
    I enjoyed Spiderman, but you know, it's not mythic. It is all style, with very little substance. It's not telling me anything about the human condition. I mean, with great power comes great responsibility, sure, but that's about the only theme the film had. Of course, many would argue AOTC was the movie that had no substance. But they would be stupid.

I think Spiderman was good for what it was. I really enjoyed the web swinging sequences. I use to dream about doing that myself as a kid. Tobey and Kristen were fine. I need to see it again, really. I can live with the organic webshooters, but the Green Goblin's costume was HORRIBLE. I think we can all agree about that. I mean, Willem Dafoe LOOKS LIKE A GOBLIN. Why cover that face up with that ridiculous metal mask?

And anyone who says Gwen Stacy wasn't important to Peter's life ... I mean, come on. When she died, that was one of the most emotional sequences in comic history. I was once very big on comics myself.

I think these articles are getting a bit absurd, though they are raising some eye brows I think, and people are sort of noticing the anti-SW media.

21. YodaMaster

YodaMaster Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Based on this thread? Fan-base, no question. The entertainment biz matches movies up for the weekend all the time in terms of box office. They got the ball rolling because its their job. Some fans feel the need to pick it up and never let go. In case no one has noticed, Spidey and Star Wars is only the beginning for 2002. This is a crowded summer season and comparisons will run rampant. Right now, some analysts are saying that Sum of All Fears could take this weekend over SW. Of course, I think people in this thread should save their energy for the mind-blowing CGI of Scooby Doo and its inevitable label as a franchise classic to rival Star Wars. (Insert sarcastic tone here.)

22. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, this thread has certainly degenerated quickly.

Spiderman was an above-average film. It wasn't great, but it was above average. It focused on the developement of the main characters, a refreshing change in today's all action, no character blockbuster world.

AotC is also above average, but not as above average as Spiderman. AotC is at times painful to sit through. It simply has too many flaws to be truly great.

As far as the love story comparison goes: While Spiderman's may seem formulaic, at least it achieves what it is trying to achieve. AotC's love story is an embarassment to all love stories everywhere, with what is quite possibly the worst-told love story I've seen. It had the potential to be great, but thatnks to horrendous dialogue, and the fact that Padme's love for Anakin never really makes sense, it falls flat on its face.

23. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Ded man: Spider-Man had about 8 different themes going on at once. AOTC had a few as well - but most movies have quite a few different underlying themes. You'd be hard pressed to find any movie or literary expert who would tell you that AOTC is somehow "deeper" than Spider-Man.

The comparison comes into how well both movies handled their themes and issues, and Spider-Man has been taunted as superior by critics and the box office seems to support it (although it can be interpreted many different ways as well). And that is where the argument comes in - how well the movie did at exploring the themes and such in it.

I personally found the "action" in Spider-Man to be "better." The final fight between Peter and Norman was hard hitting and directed better than the final lightsaber fight in AOTC, which was probably the weakest lightsaber battle I've seen in SW (mostly due to an underdeveloped villain and such). At least Maul made up for his lack of chracter with choreography.

24. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    # of times I've seen Spider-Man: 1
    # of times I',ve seen AOTC: 3

Nuff said. I really didn't find anything spectacular about Spider-Man (the action left alot to be desired) whereas AOTC to me was a brilliant film. I enjoyed both but I do not beleive Spider-Man can tough AOTC.

Darth_Tyrannous The canadian signature

25. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    It's simple Spiderman is "flavour of the month", Star wars is the venerable old warhorse. simple as that.

same as in music, times change, fashions and tastes change,not always for the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.