main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will "Clone Wars" be considered canon or EU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gungan_Sith_Lord, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    How about we just call it 1/2 Canon & 1/2 EU?

That reminds me of those old Reece's Peanut Butter Cups commercials . .

"You got your non-canonical Dark Jedi in my wholly canonical Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones!"

"No, you got your wholly canonical Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones in my EU Dark Jedi universe!"

Can't we just agree that it's all fiction and there's enough to go around? ;)

-Otis

2. Gungan_Sith_Lord

Gungan_Sith_Lord Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2002
    Wow. Mention EU and canon in the same sentence and watch the postcount fly!

I realize their are going to be the hardliners who disregard everything not seen in the current version of the movies as EU. I was curious as to what people were thinking, closer to Canon than EU or pure EU.

I personally think its as close to canon as can happen and not be one of the six episodes, but others can and do disagree.

3. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Here my two cents on this :

The diference between this CW cartoon and tradicional Eu is the media .
    See i colected this data about the Cartoon Network :

Cartoon Network
    Launch date: October 1, 1992
    Cartoon Network, currently seen in 71.3 million U.S. homes and 145 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s 24-hour, ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment. Drawing from the world's largest cartoon library, Cartoon Network also showcases unique original series such as The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Johnny Bravo, Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, Mike, Lu & Og, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Cow and Chicken and Cartoon Cartoons. Since its launch in 1992, Cartoon Network has remained one of the highest-rated networks on ad-supported cable.
    http://CartoonNetwork.com
    Cartoon Network Europe
    Launch date: September 17, 1993
    Cartoon Network in Europe is TBS, Inc.'s first multi-lingual, all-cartoon channel, airing the world's favorite cartoon characters everyday. The network broadcasts in English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Swedish.
    http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/international/
    Cartoon Network Japan
    Launch date: September 1, 1997
    Cartoon Network Japan is Japan's first 24-hour animation network and the first country-specific cartoon network created for the Asia-Pacific region. The network is a joint venture between Turner Entertainment Networks Japan, Inc., a subsidiary of Turner Broadcasting System Inc., ITOCHU Corporation and Time Warner Entertainment Japan. The service showcases Japanese and Western animation, including cartoons from the Time Warner-owned animation library.
    http://www.cartoonnetwork.co.jp/

Cartoon Network Latin America
    Launch date: April 30, 1993
    Cartoon Network Latin America is Turner Broadcasting System Inc.'s customized, multi-lingual feed of the company's 24-hour, all-animation service in Spanish, Portuguese, or English.
    http://cartoonnetworkla.com/
    TNT & Cartoon Network in Asia Pacific
    Launch Date: October 6, 1994
    TNT & Cartoon Network in Asia Pacific is the region's first 24-hour cartoon and movie service, offering 14 hours of cartoons daily, followed by 10 hours of movies. With technical facilities located in Hong Kong, the service is delivered to viewers throughout the Asia Pacific region in English with certain day-parts of Cartoon Network dubbed in Mandarin and Thai, and two prime time movies per day subtitled in other major Asian languages.

So my point is tradicional EU is material very restricted to the die hard fan ? the novelizations, the comics and even the books .
    It's appeal only to a part of of the Star Wars fans ? or else we would not have this EU versus canon debate.

But now showing it in the world most notorious cable channel ? think that in a single day more peoplehave watched this channel around the world than the entire number of people who actually have gone to the cinema to watch AOTC .
    The public that will see the show will extrapolate in millions even the numbers of true SW star wars fans.

So i believe that the things showed there cannot be contraditory to the things showed in the next movie.

I mean you ( Lucas ) can get away with the fact that some obscure long time ago comic said that Jango was Boba's brother?
    Lucas can get away with some old ( about 20 years old ) novelization states that Owen was Obi1's brother .
    Lucas can get away that Ki Adi Mundi was married to 5 womem in comic books before he ( Lucas ) made up the non attachment rule to the jedi in AOTC.

The PT backslash is not based in little contradictions like these.

But now LFL is making visible to a hell lot of people the concept of a dark jedi so if they contradict that in Ep3 then trouble will be huge.

The rest of credibility of both Lucas and LFL will be serious doubt if , for example, one jedi master ( say Plo Koon ) dies in the cartoon but appears in the Ep3, because it simply it would be magnifying one bad thing, the rift between canon puris

4. CRIMSON-JACK

CRIMSON-JACK Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    [edited]

YJ edit: That whole rant had nothing to do with the canon discussion.

5. CRIMSON-JACK

CRIMSON-JACK Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Double post !!!!

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Stay on topic, please.

7. Veztar

Veztar Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2002
    Star Wars is a mythology. Mythology is not exactly known for being perfectly consistant or clear. It is debatable what "really happens" and what counts. That's what makes this stuff so interesting. There's too much data for anyone to know everything.

I'm committing a little heresy here but I challenge the absolute accuracy of the movies. There could be flaws. For instance, in TPM when they talk about Midi-Chloriens. Small things.

Whether the cartoons are "real" or not depends on how they come out. When they do there's going to be a thread here on whether they are or not, and they'll have all their quotes from movies technical guides and EU as to why. That's what distinguishes Star Wars from the other Sci Fi out there. We can do this, and there will never be a winner, because it's a form of mythology and can have several interpretations/versions no one is completely "right."

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000

So even if the cartoon is considered EU , still it will have to portrait things as they must be shown in Ep3

Psst! So does the EU. ;) Part of the fun of the EU is that it does tie into the movies, and it does hold true. For example, Dooku appeared in the EU novels months before AOTC was released. In this, the cartoon will be no different from the rest of the EU.

As for size of the potential fan base affecting the status of the shows as EU, Yoda said it best: "Size matters not."

9. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    EU or not EU, it's most likely going to be a fun event. We've all proven over the last few years how immature we are as a community when it comes to discussing EU. The less we say about the "c" word, the happier EVERYONE can be.

10. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    What Otis Frampton said.

To me, it's all canon and even if tomorrow George Lucas says that to him, nothing in the EU ever happened, that wouldn't matter-because I still get enjoyment from it.

11. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    To me, it's all canon and even if tomorrow George Lucas says that to him, nothing in the EU ever happened, that wouldn't matter-because I still get enjoyment from it.

Thanks for the support! :D

And it's funny you should put it that way, because that's exactly how I see it. To me, nothing in the EU ever did happen. To me, it's all alternate universe stuff. This allows me to enjoy some of the dreck out there in the EU, while not allowing it to affect the film universe at all.

Works pretty well, too.

-Otis

12. OwenSkywalker3

OwenSkywalker3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 23, 2002
    I agree with Otis. Finally, a voice in the desert, crying out "Make straight the path!"

Personally, EVERYTHING that I didn't see in a theater is EU. That's right, EVERYTHING... even my beloved VS. HAH! SO THERE! That way, I can enjoy all the dreckmedia that is produced by LUCASCORP.

I long for the days when the people on these boards arguing the whole "canon/EU" bit were otherwise occupied...

... with more theological issues, like whether Kirk or Picard was the better Captain [face_devil] ...

LET THE FLAMING COMMENCE!

13. NiktoJedi9

NiktoJedi9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    This whole "canon/non-canon" thing is curious to me.

It's all fiction. What does it matter? In my mind, the movies are the movies and everything else is, well, everything else.

But that's just me.

If you want to disregard some book, or comic or television show, that's your choice. If you want to incorporate it into the larger story in your mind, that's fine too. Heck, you could even incorporate fan fiction, if you wanted to! In the end, it's still all just fiction.

You don't need the OS to validate your imagination.

Finally someone puts into words what I've felt all along.

:D

14. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Gandolf is correct concerning the EU and the PT; those of you who don't follow it currently may not know this, but Lucas let the licensing division look at the script for AotC well in advance, so even the novels before The Approaching Storm had Episode 2 references in them (Cloak of Deception, a pre-TPM novel on the timeline, has various future Separatist guilds and representatives as fairly prominent characters).

15. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Here is my take on it.
    Any bridge stuff set during the time period the current movies are set, between TPM and Episode III should probably be taken as slightly closer to canon than other stuff. The reason is is that Lucasfilm will probably closely monitor this stuff so they don't contradict the current films. One of the reasons for all the Clone Wars, books, comics and animation, besides bringing in revenue, is to fill in the gap between AOTC and Episode III. I think all this stuff is trying to set the stage for the last film so that us hardcore types won't be asking ourselves a million questions when Episode III opens up with the final battle of the Clone Wars. One thing I am noticing in the comics being released is that the Clone Wars are dividing the Jedi ideologically. This makes sense to me. what better way to defeat them than to divide and conquer. A jedi working for Tyrannus may think they are on the side that will do the most good. It doesn't mean they are breaking the Sith rule of only two.

16. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    According to LFL, everything is canon. Everything not the films is EU, but the EU is canon, so that dosen't matter.

But you can take it or leave it, I guess. Its your party.

17. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'd hoped not to get a lot of EU/canon arguing in this forum but if it must be done, let's keep it in this topic at least.

I figure anything other than the six theatrical films is EU. Whether or not it's canon, I dunno, fight that issue among yourselves. I personally don't think so but that's just my opinion.

I think the Clone Wars show is unique in that it's probably watched very closely by Lucas, right about the time that he's writing Episode III. So I don't think there will be many contradictions between it and the final film and some plot points in the show might actually give hints to what happens in E3.

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Well put Padme. EU is anything that is not a Star Wars movie. Clone Wars is a series of shorts and not on the big screen. By default, it's EU.

19. Goo_Child

Goo_Child Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Well I think it's EU that doesn't mean it isn't canon. This is a touchy subject with some people.

20. DARTH-LUCCHESI

DARTH-LUCCHESI Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    i agree with utility-belt the cartoon will be considered canon....the perfect example would be the novel approching storm....it takes place on anasion which mace windu in atoc said something to the effect that obi-wan and friends just returned from a mission there. also the double bladed light saber was i read somewhere was taken from one of the sw comics from dark horse.

21. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    This show is not one of the movies ? it expands off of the movies ? so it is EU. The official site supports this idea, putting it up as an EU feature. The EU is the official continuation of the story of the movies (excepting the parts of the EU that are Infinities). This show ties into the existing EU. So, this show is part of the official continuation of the story of Star Wars. That is undeniable.
    True, in a fashion, but the NPR radio dramas are nominally considered to be "secondary canon," thanks to the involvement of many of the film-production personnel with it. It might also come to be seen that the animated series falls under this rubric, too...just recently heard that Hayden Christensen is set to voice Anakin on the show, so this is a good sign that Lucas's side of things (the films, the actors, etc.) is synching up with LFL and making this as close to the films as possible.

22. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    Canon or not, it really doesn't matter. You'll either love it or hate it.

23. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I've always thought that the EU is canon.

24. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    Then you thought wrong, the EU is not canon. By definition, by Lucasfilm's official word and as God as its judge, it is not canon. Don't cry though, whitey, you can still pretend that they are real - in your own little dream world. Just funning!

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, Lucasfilm's official (and most recently stated) policy, as published in SW Gamer magazine a year or two ago, is that everything is considered canon, except for items with an Infinities logo.

The films, however, are true canon and their events take presidence over any contradictions (which are usually just contained to the novelizations and video game adaptations).

It's only in these forums, where the rules change, for discussion purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.