main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Will POTTER beat TITANIC?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by m0rpheus, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000

Whether it can approach the $601 million of domestic box-office champ "Titanic" remains to be seen.

Warner reported that "Harry Potter" continues to draw solid return customers, but it will have a hard time approaching the repeat business of "Titanic." Teen-age girls saw "Titanic" over and over because of heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio.

Damn you Kurgan for seeing TITANIC soooo many times!!!

2. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Actually the way he explained to me was that, not only was he president of the Billy Zane fan club but vice-president of the Bill Pullman fan club as well. This whole Leo thing was just luck, but as Kurgan says "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart."

3. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Don't forget co-founder of the Ted Danson peace brigade. And the treasurer of the Macaulay Culkin look-alike club. ;)

4. super_hyper_melanie

super_hyper_melanie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    ug i regret seeing titanic 3 times but i don't regret seeing hp 4 times.

5. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    the last film i saw at northpark [[insert moment of silence here]] was titanic, and for that i will always look foundly on that film and that theater.

6. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    At the risk of sounding really negative, imo Harry Potter is now a dead issue...at least until the video release and marketing campaign for the sequel hits...

7. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Yea, after this Wednesday, no one will remember who Harry Potter is. ;)

:cool:

8. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    "...after this Wednesday, no one will remember who Harry Potter is."

I don't know about that, there's been some rumbling in Hollywood about the angle the marketing folks took for LOR. Maybe it's a home run, or maybe a strike out, but they're not expecting something in between. I myself, personally, hope LOR does extremely well, but there is an ill wind blowing ( and it has nothing to do with chili I had for dinner either). Harry Potter has already earned half a billion dollars, no troubles there. No kiddie brigade this time for LOR. Parents might have let little 10 year old Kurgan, see HP 3 or 4 times, but LOR is definitely more intense than Hogwarts-Boy. Not exactly a chick-flick either, so take them out of the equation. No T&A so that leaves out your average teenager. Doesn't leave much left over except D&D psychos, middle-earth nerds, and internet geeks.

Stay tuned

9. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    What Old Jedi has said, plus the 3-hours-plus running time will of course cut down the number of showings and possibly repeat viewers.

Numbers-wise, the LOTR premiere in London had a substantially smaller turnout of fans than the Harry Potter premiere.

I'm roughly guessing about $300-$400 million U.S. take for this one; the weekend'll probably be about $60 million (Wed-Sun). Any more would surprise me.

10. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm not implying that LOTR will make more money that HP. The way the Movie industry works today, pumping out films so fast and pushing them through the theaters with very little "staying power", is going to be the shadow that slows HP to a crawl. The same thing is most likely going to happen with ATOC next year when Spiderman opens a month afterwards. Titanic was the exception because people brought their friends and was marketed to all ages. You won't see that with HP, LOTR or ATOC. The LOTR opening just going to over shadow HP and the only people who are going to end up seeing it again, after tomorrow, are going to be the kids that kick and scream to get their parents to take them again.

:cool:

11. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    "...after this Wednesday, no one will remember who Harry Potter is."

heh heh heh...yah sure...we all know i'll never forget cause i never forget anything....ha ha ha ha, a blond who actually remembers things....for crying outloud, like i'm gonna forget, i've got a costume that hangs in my closet....anyways LotR is gonna be awesome and i get to go see it tomorrow after my last mid-term exam! yeh!...i believe that most likely in the US LotR will beat out hp on opening weekend numbers, but it will probably not beat out opening day numbers...and i don't think the opening day number will be broken again until ep.II .... either way i'll probably end up seeing the movie a few times, as i've obviously done with hp cuase it's gonna be awesome, and i have the will to watch things more than once and 3 hours to kill quite frequently, but that may soon change, but for now it remains the same, but anyway i've rambled on too much for even my liking now so i will just shut up.

12. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    something better beat Titanic soon I really don't care what it is

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Personally, as long as they come out with all three rings movies and they make their budget back, I'll be fine with that. I'd like to see them do well, but I think these movies are going to end up being a staple of cinema history.

As far as Harry Potter, it will probably end up around 300 million, which is pretty good for anything. I'm not sure if it's top ten of all time, but at least the top fifteen. Not too bad.

And Harry Potter is going nowhere. Don't forget that the DVD and fifth book come out next summer, and the movie sequel comes out next Thanksgiving.

Titanic? Don't expect it to go anywhere for a while. Making 600 million is damned near impossible, and I doubt ANYTHING will ever beat it internationally (2 billion). I don't think you can predict when a movie will make more. I'm sure something will eventually, but it'll be a surprise to all of us when it does, I'm sure.

14. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    i think it will start with a strong fan-boi crowd, but word of mouth will cause it fo steadily increase the same way matrix did.

15. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    I could live with that.

16. Skippy_The_Klingon

Skippy_The_Klingon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Unfortunatly, I think you have to keep in mind that fantasy films in general do not fare well at the box office (Harry Potter the exception) I don't recall any fantasy movie being a major hit. While LOTR does have a built in fan base, I'm not sure that it's going to be enough of a draw. Plus the existing competition might hurt it. With a five day opening it will get the number one spot, but I don't think it will stay there next week...

17. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, the reason most fantasy movies do so badly is that 99% of them just plain suck or are too complicated for audiences to understand.

LotRs is going to do very well. I'd say it will break at least 150 million domestically. It's coming out right around Christmas, which means it will have months after New Years with nothing to compete with it. I think word of mouth will be very good for this film, and a lot of people are going to see it eventually.

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens. I think, however, that the second and third films will do better than this first one, simply from word of mouth.

18. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    yeh it comes out today! just 7 hours and 30 minutes till i actually get to see it.... blasted school and exams!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.