main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Will you read the EU now?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthIshyZ, May 15, 2005.

?

Will you read the EU now?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. No. Never have, never will

14.3%
  2. No. I lost them after _____ (state era)

35.7%
  3. Yes. Going to start now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. I'm already pretty far into ____ (state era)

35.7%
  5. WTF does the European Union have to do with Star Wars??

14.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
  2. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Christa and I are in the NJO series at this point. Christa's admittedly farther along than I am, but that may change someday. :)

I'm just curious how many of you will look for something else from Skywalker Ranch since the Saga is complete.

3. Darth_Minx

Darth_Minx Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2003
    Don't forget, there's still the TV shows. And where's the maybe option? I've actually considered it, but haven't decided yet :p

4. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I tried before. Didn't work out. My personal opinion: sometimes you just have to leave things alone.

5. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Yeah, I agree, there's no maybe option. I'm still a maybe on them. A couple of times I tried to read Zahn's Heir to the Empire and I hated it so much I gave up on any EU reading. There are some books (at least a couple) set in Vader/Emperor time period so I might read those. I can't help it, I just have little interest in a Star Wars with no Vader in it. And Thrawn doesn't impress me at all.

6. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I have no interest in reading the books. I'll read fan fiction before I go and buy a EU book.

Plus if I'm going to be doing any heavy reading, I'll be reading my textbooks for college. :p

7. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    EU = love. Read it since I was a little punk, will keep reading it. (Hence the username and all that other jazz.)

8. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, what does the European union have to do with Star Wars?

9. PinkYaddle

PinkYaddle Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    I read it and I love it. Right now I am two or three books from finishing the NJO. OK but not the best EU I've read.

There are a few duds out there tho -- The Bounty Hunter Wars series blows chunks.

I recommend the "Tales from" series for those just starting EU. Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina or Tales from Jabba's Palace. Those are sort of intertwined with the movies. What they do is take the characters that are in those scenes (like the Cantina for example) and give some backstory on what happens before they come to the cantina (what brings them there at that moment) and how being there when the scene takes place affects them later.

Have a great day!

Christa

10. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    If push were to come to shove I have been meaning to read Shadows of the Empire.

I am planning to go find the graphic novel Crimson Empire that is only because it's filled with IRG's actually doing something besides stand around and look pretty for the empire for a change. lol

11. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    SotE is good because Xizor and Guri rock. O_O Dash Render is a big dork. But Xizor and Guri are cool. Booohahah~

See, I'm also an everything-EU nerd, like video games and stuff too. Because thanks to the X-box, I can't have the Star Wars universe without Republic Commando, KOTOR/KOTOR II & Battlefront now. <3

12. Darth_Twilight

Darth_Twilight Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 14, 2005
    Oh boy I'm a Battlefront junkie. "Hmm, should I cross stitch? Nah. Should I bead? Nah. Should I go to bed finally? Nah, Battlefront. Yippee ok." LOL

Wendy, what's my battle cry again? "Die Rebels die!" ;)

13. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Good girl Chrissy, you'll be a trooper yet if I have any say! lol

Battlefront........god I am sooooooo happy I have that game, the best SW game EVER!! You can kill ewoks, I love killing ewoks, then I skin them, season their with sage, and roast them in the oven.......

Oppps, that was alittle off topic wasn't it!?! lol

14. The_Crazy_Old_Wizard

The_Crazy_Old_Wizard Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Shadows of the Empire and the Young Han Solo series are some of the best. The Zahn books are OK, a little uneven, but OK.

I think I read through the Truce at Bakura before I quit reading the books.

TCOW

15. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    I've been into the EU since 91 with the Zahn trilogy, so yes. :p

16. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I agree with the Bounty Hunter Wars review. Kuat Kuat Kuat Kuat Kuat! Sounds like my can coughing up hairballs.

And Barve! EVERYONE is saying BARVE for some reason! Ugh...

17. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Shadows of the Empire? Isn't that the one by the lead singer of Journey?

It annoyed me. Insecure Vader and even worse, they let C3PO fly the Falcon. If Han EVER found that out, it'd be curtains for Leia. Hey, wait......

18. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    "they let C3PO fly the Falcon"

Ok this is why I don't like EU. That and they killed off Chewie! WTF!?!

19. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Everyone has to die some time...

Some of the EU is pretty good, some is really bad. My favorites are the ones that don't deal with main characters (like Luke/Han/Leia) like the X-wing series.

20. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    the EU was the catalyst for me to actually read books.

more than 10 years, I have been reading them...and I won't stop now.

21. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    Well from what I understand quite alot of people die in EU, but why did it have to be the big walking carpet!?!

The one good thing I can say about EU.... Boba Fett lives!!!

22. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    They lost me with the NJO.

As far as I see it, the Yuuzan Vong are just sort of carrying a sign around that says "plot device," and being a bit Mary-Suish about it, too.

I like the pre-saga stuff though, and up till NJO they definetely had me. NJO is just... certain things should not be decided by committee.

23. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Read ALL the novels, some of the graphic novels, I need to get more of them now while I'm waiting for more books to come out

Sarah

24. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Well from what I understand quite alot of people die in EU, but why did it have to be the big walking carpet!?!

not really.

Chewie and Ackbar and Mon Mothma are the only movie characters that might be main characters that die in the books.

EU characters have died in the books...and some quite honorably mind you.

25. Maleficant

Jun 16, 2002
    That's what I'm talking about, Ani Solo died, I don't understand how that makes for writing future books.

I did hear that there is a period in the Solo kid's lives that Lucas will not let anyone write about. Is this true? I'm curious that if it is, why since there are no more movies and the TV Series is going to take place between EPIII & EPIV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.