main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPG Wizards of the Coast to drop the Star Wars license

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jan 28, 2010.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven?t had definitive answers to give you. After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We?ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We?ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We?ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It?s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

source

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    When you quote a an article, you are expected to follow up with with some thought or discussion to get the topic going.. Just copying/pasting does not work, this isn't the YJCC.

I'm wary. I'm thinking that they just ran out of books to publish, wait a year or two, come out with a new edition and re-package everything as the "new must to get rpg."

Although, I'm jaded, I think they did that with d20 -> Saga. But it worked.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I wonder who else could get the license. I wouldn't mind people like Green Ronin getting it but sounds unlikely.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I agree, people are speculating on who will have the license next but they are forgetting that:

a) it's far too early for any speculations to have any sort of merit, try in a few years or so
    and b) Wizards can just pick it up again as they have before.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Hey, maybe WEG can get the license back...

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Ran out of books?

How about a finished NJO sourcebook? Legacy of the Force? Dark Side Sourcebook?

I'm glad they've dropped it because I haven't been that into Saga, as you can tell my posting in here has disappeared as I've just got less and less interested.

What I'd do for some new WEG content :(

7. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Our gaming group has enjoyed Saga and playing SWMinis. The writing has been on the wall for a while now, this just makes it official. I kinda doubt anyone will pick up the game, honestly, with the economy, but that's just my opinion.

8. Alewolf

Alewolf Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2010
    I fear that we will see a new STW game with all the additional costs associated with said game.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was just browsing these sourcebooks today. I like the format and art.

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I love the Saga line and will miss them.

There is a Legacy era book, just no real NJO/NR/GA/Vong War era stuff.

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    You need a little conversion and a LOT of homebrew to have an NJO era campaign, but it can be done.

And I agree Montie, the books really are nice looking. Almost too nice to have on a gaming table, my Core book is battered about the edges from so much travel, it's been to Sydney twice!

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    There is a Legacy (Cade, Syn, Blue) book, but no Legacy of the Force (Caedus, Dead Mara, Mandos) book.

I hope this Unknown Regions book they're releasing contains details on species other than the Chiss and the Vagaari.

13. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    WEG has been quiet lately, but just before the went 'off the air' so to speak they open licensed the D6 mechanic system, so someone could pick up the license and and print D6 rules. But I don't think WEG is up to it at this point.

14. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    On further thought, 2 things become clear:

1: the bottom will probablly fall out of the market, so we'll be able to pick up figures cheeply on eBay and the local comix/hobby stores

2: I waited too long to sell the Rare & Very rare figures I've got

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    The bottom has already fallen out of the market for the most part. I tried to put some figs online for a gaming store only to discover that even the big money pieces aren't going for crap :(

16. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Well, it certainly explains Hasbro including card game pieces with each figure starting in August... just the natural evolution as Hasbro owned WotC back during Celebration II and included a WotC RPG with the Geonosis Arena back in 2002. How well it goes over remains to be seen, but I expect no one to issue a new game for at least the next 12-15 months except Hasbro.

17. KudosDas

KudosDas Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    At least now I'll have some time to get caught up with some of the minis sets...

I haven't been that impressed with what WotC has been putting out in regards to Saga. Maybe I'm just getting old and have played too many systems that have been let go and faded away into the history books (oh Star Wars CCG, how I miss you...). Maybe I'm just jaded at the amount of cash I DON'T have to spend on gaming right now. Either way, I've felt for the majority of Saga that WotC has just thrown source books at us and expected players and GMs to eat them up without question. I can't remember the last time there was any buildup on the WotC website for Star Wars, or when I really felt like a release was something to look forward to and get excited about.

Will WotC pick the system back up? I honestly don't care at this point. Either way it would mean a new or revised version of the game and new source books that we'd be expected to buy. WEG players, I think I finally understand how you feel...

18. inkpenavenger

inkpenavenger Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
  19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    There are some rumors floating around that the company who makes Flames of War is going to pick up the miniatures line. Anyone heard about that?

20. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    IT is on their (Battlefront) website, as a possible-- however the post was dated April 1st, so who knows. I think it would be very cool to have a Flames of Star Wars.

21. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Well, looks like it's dead and gone now - the wars stuff is missing from the WotC page and the game books are now (mostly) unavailable on Amazon (save for secondary sellers). Grab it while the grabbing is good, I guess.

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I'm still making minis (mostly R2s R3s R4s and R5s) from the WotC and WEG molds. I figure with the minis I have, I can mold most of what I need for RPG purposes.
    As for the gaming material... Well... There's enough between the books I have and source material made up by the fans that I'll never want. Only thing missing is "canon" artwork.

Maybe the next people will make R2s common minis so I don't have to make my own.

23. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    They said the info that was in the site should be available on their forums for a long time. But you have to weed through all the crap to find the info you want.

24. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I've never liked the forums there it's not even remotely organized

25. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This is most (all?) of the free stuff WOTC had on their Star Wars site: http://swrpgrc.com/files/?dir=Saga%20Edition%20Resources