main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Moments in TV & Movie Fantasy History

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yep. Haven't seen the sequel yet, though.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Just for the record, the straight-to-DVD sequel to D & D was much better than the first one. Much truer to the game, more sinister in tone and more action-packed. Plus it has a Lich as its main villain, so how could it possibly go wrong??

3. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes, the DVD sequel was better. 100 times better.
    100 x 0 is still 0, though.
    "How could it go wrong?" Oh, so many ways. I, personally, find it very annoying when sword fights are filmed so that you can't see the sword work. And that's in the first 10 minutes. Even the bonus audio track, with D&D characters commenting on the movie instead of actors & directors like most movies, sounds better as an idea than the execution.
    "So, what drove your brother mad on that Expedition to the Barier Peaks(TM)?"
    "He was with me when we sacked The Ghost Tower of Inverness(TM)."

The pick-your-path dvd was better, even as a cgi cartoon: "Scourge of Worlds"

4. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    "Do you mean the American/Tangerine Dream soundtrack or the European/Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack? Because both of them are so fused into my brain that I have a hard time imagining some other, supposedly "better" score. TD's "The Dance" in particular is a beautiful composition."

Both. It's just my opinion, but I really disliked the score and think it really dates the movie. It was made at the height of the whole "let's use synthesizers to score our movie instead of hiring an orchestra" era, and I just don't think it's held up. Blade Runner is another good flick with a synth score, but for some reason it seems to work better for me...Maybe cuase it's set in the future or something, I don't know that I can rationalize it, but it's different.

Score is very important to a flick, as we all know, and sometimes when you decide to use something gimmicky or music from only a particular era, it can result in locking that movie to a particular time.

Example:

Let's begin with SW, shall we. The score is a classic orchestral arrangement. This helps to keep the film timeless, even if the haircuts and Lando's bell bottoms don't.

If it were to have music by Starship or the Bee Gees or something, It would be very difficult to not associate that movie with the 70s and 80s.

Anyway, I love Legend, I just think the score is really lame and that song at the very end that says something along the lines of "Blah Blah for goodness sake" is just absolutely awful. To the point that I can't even watch the end with the volume up. But that's just me.

So anyway, back on-topic.

uhhhhhh.... Drawing a blank.

D_M_S_L

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The Goldsmith score is orchestral. Scott had TD rescore the film weeks before its American release, after the test audiences laughed at its old-world gravitas, which was heightened by the symphonic music.

6. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Let's not forget Kull the Conqueror with its heavy base guitar riffs.

I liked one arguement about rock music in fantasy & historical movies: "Is it really that much less appropriate to use music 850 years out of date than 810 years?" Think that was the defence used for Ladyhawk.

7. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    But I wouldn't go so far as to call Ladyhawk's music gay, as it clearly is in Legend. Just listen to the song at the ending credits, it's awful.

That's not to say that Ladyhawk's music was not corny.

And I assure you, if you were to go back and re-score Legend with John Williams, James Horner, or even Danny Elfman, it' would greatly improve the quality of the flick.

D_M_S_L

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    D_M_S_L, I keep mentioning that Jerry Goldsmith provided an orchestral score for Legend, which survives in the European version now available on DVD as the "Director's Cut". I happen to own the Goldsmith score on vinyl, and I can avow that it's terrific. I recommend it to you earnestly, since you've decided the New Age-y score provided by Tangerine Dream is "gay".

9. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    If something is good enough to be good, its good enough as is.

10. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Mar 11, 2004
    I have the director's cut. I know, I've heard it, it's not much of an improvement, but it's something. I just hoped for something more epic and grand. But that's ok. I do appreciate your willingness to steer me toward a better version though. Still love the flick.

D_M_S_L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.