main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you name your kid...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by A-New-Hope, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I want to name my kid Orr'UrRuuR'R. :D

2. Leia_Solo

Leia_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2002

Hmm. I can name my daughter after me of course. ;)
    I would name my son for sure, Ben Lucas, if I have one that is. :p
    I like it, it's good. Or is Obi-Wan Lucas better? [face_laugh]

3. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    My first name is Ben and in elementary screwl I had a friend named Lucas (and he went by "Lucas" not "Luke"). I haven't seen him in over a decade.

4. dungeonmaster

dungeonmaster Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2002
    I know someone that named their kid Sky Walker...lastname

I laughed really, really hard.

5. Aurra_Glow

Aurra_Glow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2001
    Naming your kids after SW characters is like sending them to school with a sign taped on their backs saying "please beat me up!" Well, most of them anyway. There are a few normal ones that you could probably get away with, but to be on the safe side just stick to naming your pets stupid names. They don't know the difference. My friend named her parakeet "Asswipe"(pronounced aas-weep-ay).

6. AOTCStarwchic

AOTCStarwchic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2002
    I would.Only the human names (not Jedi of coarse)though, such as Padme,Anakin,Luke,Leia,Han,Lando.

7. Kirney_Slane

Kirney_Slane Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Elan Sleazebaggano, anybody? Or how about Sidious or Maul? "Maul, stop calling your brother Hideous Sidious!"

8. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    No way would I do that to my child. That is like giving them a sentance to be made fun of for all their schooling. Now maybe some you can get away with (ex: Luke, Ben, etc) but after that you really have to draw a line.

9. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    I think Ewok and Muppet are good names for a dog.

10. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    My friend named his son Luke, which I found out because he is the saint of medicine or something like that (my friend's a physician. Now, he can really tell him, "Luke, I am your father." :D

Corde' is a good name too.

11. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    If i ever decided to give my kid a star wars name it would be something completely obsecure. I would never want it to be something an average SW fan would notice. i wouldn't want my kids to get any crap from other kids growing up, it's unfair to them. i am always stunned when i meet people with BIZARRE names bcause i think "what were their parents THINKING when they decided to name their kid this???"

Now pets on the other hand. ANY pet i have will be named soemthing BLATANTLY Star Wars :p

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think that Ben's probably the only SW name that you could name your kid with without other people knowing why your kid was named so. It's a bit obvious for other SW names, although I think that the EU names don't sound so "obvious".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I want my first daughter to be named Gaeriel from the EU....that is more obscure than most....

14. Thalia_of_the_Graces

Thalia_of_the_Graces Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2002
    "Jabba, eat your vegetables!"

"I SAID VEGETABLES, NOT THE TABLECLOTH!"

-- Screams as she's dropped into the rancor pit by 4 month old --

15. A-New-Hope

A-New-Hope Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 2002
    LOL :D

"Jedi mindtricks don't work on me, mom. You are not bantha fodder!"

16. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    I study the meanings, origins and relations of names for fun. Naming kids after movie characters has been going on forever, so it's not like it's that weird. Hell, some people name their kids after soap opera characters. The only SW names that strike me as ones that I would possibly give my kids are Anakin and Leia. Leia is actually my middle name (I was born in '79), although I pronounce it, as someone else said, like Tarkin- LEE-a. Both are SW-specific but sound enough like Earth-bound names to pass. Anakin is a name beautiful enough to survive independent of its origins, but the problem with it as a boy's name (and I actually do know someone who named her son that) is that it seems like it might be related to the family of feminine names that includes Anika and Annakiya. So I suspect it'd do better as a girls' name. Luke, Owen, Ben, Gavin and Mara are all nice names, but I don't really particularly consider them SW-specific, since they got plenty of use in real life well before SW.

17. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Anakin means one without family? In what language?

18. AUNTIE_JEDI

AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    My next dog gets name Anakin.

I can imagine myself shouting after him 'Anakin, Anakin....noooo' ;)

19. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    as a fan, most of my friends know me as being obsessed with sw (which is very valid) but i don't think i would go as far to name my kids after sw character. dogs, maybe.

if i had a harry, shaggy dog - chewbacca
    or a fat pug, jabba
    a dog with really pointed ears - yoda
    (but that's a major if, since i really don't like dogs)

20. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    A guy friend of mine told me his kids had just gotten two dogs, black and brown, which they named Vader and Chewbacca. I thought that was pretty cool until he informed me the dogs were chi... chiua... Aw, hell. You know, those little Taco Bell dogs. Then it was just funny.

21. JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS

JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    I would definitely give consideration to calling my son Anakin if I ever have one. i think it's a cool name.

Who the hell is this Gavin guy people have been saying?

And the guy who said Yarael Poof, that made me laugh!

22. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    Well no you could get away with Luke, Ben Gavin, Owen, Mara and I even saw "Leia" in a book on names as a normal variant of "Leah." Nothing wrong with that except that I for one don't care for any of the names that much. Well Luke and Leia are OK but I could do better. Gavin, Mara, Owen are also great but meh. And Ben? I really don't like that name. (No offense anyone.) It just bugs me. Makes you sound too much like a mountain from Scotland.
    Of course then there's naming your son "Ben Arthur" after the mountain near Edinburgh. 8-}

23. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    i would prbly name a son Anakin or Jacen and a daughter, leia or padme...

24. Master_Maroon

Master_Maroon Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 2002
    Jeez, I'm surprised no one has said Wedge yet... although it'd be fun to ruin a kid's life with the name "Porkins"

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Wes would be about as far as I'd go. Mara for a girl. In other words, real world names that just happen to appear in Star Wars. I've always liked the name Gavin, even before he was a SW character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.