main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [X-men] -- Normal

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lilith Demodae, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    This is set in the indeterminant future, at least a generation after the movies.

X-men is sooo not mine. I'm just playing in the sandbox. :)

Normal
    ______

"Hi everybody. My name's Melody, and I'm not a mutant."

"Hi, Melody," everyone chorused back to her as she rubbed her thumb against the edge of the faux wooden podium. Her fair skin stood out against the dark grain, making her seem even more pale than usual.

"I've been out of denial for about two years now." The young woman, who barely stood tall enough to see over the podium at her audience, paused for the brief spatter of applause. "It wasn't easy, recognizing the truth. My twin sister can fly and my little brother can affect plant growth. I felt certain that I had a mutant ability of some sort, I only needed to find it."

Heads nodded around the auditorium as people recognized a familiar pattern. Many of them had denied their normalcy for a very long time. Some had even faked abilities they didn't have in order to fit in.

"I tried so hard, time and time again, to awaken my abilities." Melody hung her head, not even looking as high as her trembling hands on the podium, but at the floor beside her battered tennies. "I even accused my mother, who is a censor, of blocking my ability so that she could brag about having a normal child for the sympathy."

A murmur of sighs hissed forth, recognizing the deep pain that still lay at the woman's heart. They understood. That was why they were all there tonight.

"I think I finally hit bottom when I decided that I could fly like my twin. I tried to awaken it by throwing myself from the thirty-first floor balcony of the Hilton Plaza." A few gasps echoed back in response to her statement, but Melody hurried on. "Luckily an off-duty fireman saw me and managed to slow my descent enough that the impact didn't kill me. I only broke both my legs and cracked a rib."

Tears welled in her eyes and her voice choked, but she continued on doggedly. "When I first stopped denying there were some really bad days where I wished that man hadn't helped me. When I wished that I'd died rather than live as a plain old regular person.

"They said that evolution would continue, that someday we would all become Homo Superior, but that day is not yet. There are still others out there like us, who deny what they are, and live in fear of being found out. Thankfully their fear is groundless. There is still a place for us in this society."

Melody looked up and finally met the eyes that stared up at her with approval and support, reaching out to her with their hearts and accepting her as she was. After all, they were the same.

"Not a day goes by now, that I don't thank whatever higher power there might be that the Xavier Foundation had the foresight to set up this program for us, so that we could have the support and help that we need to understand and accept what we are.

"We're normal."

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oooh, great start! Can't wait to see where this goes!

3. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Minana -- Thanks, but that's all there is. A snippet of an AA meeting, X-men style.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Bust. :(

But in that case, that was really cool. Turning the tables around for when we get to a time when almost everyone has powers and the normal people feel isolated. Nicely done. Would be awesome if it was a full story. ;)

5. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Excellent work there. I've yet to see an X-men fic where the opposite was true till now. Very nice setting it up like that, fits perfect as a one shot.

6. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    Wow.

I'm shocked that for as long as I've been an X-men fan, I've never considered this possibility.

You've written a wonderful, intriguing glimpse of a possible world.

Brilliantly done! =D=

7. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Normal people in X-men! aWesome!

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Nice twist! :D This reminded me of a line from "The Incredibles": calling everyone "special" is just another way of saying that no one's special. Maybe Melody should be glad she's not considered "special"?

9. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Lilith!! Never telling me when you post stuff!! Arrrrg!!

Great one-shot. I would have expected nothing less than "Normal" in your own version of X-Men world. ;) Super work!

Trikes

10. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    That's a really interesting twist-- the mutation becoming so widespread that the "normal" people become the freaks. Excellent job with this =D=

11. Lilith Demodae

Oct 1, 1999
    Miana - There's lots of stuff I'd love to turn into a full-length story, if only I had a plot...

Neon Star - Thank you very much. You'll find I tend to choose the path less taken as often as I can. For one thing, it's much easier to surprise your readers that way. ;)

Karebear214 - Thank you. It's an intriguing thought, isn't it?

SilSolo - Thanks!

JadeSolo - Well, she is considered 'special' in this world, but it's in a 'short bus' sort of way.

Trika - I didn't want to spam you, or sound shamelessly self-promoting over in the Nest. I'll tell you next time, if you like. [face_blush] And thanks.

Myriad_Daydreams - Thank you very much.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to drop in and read this. Extra thanks to those who responded, writers always appreciate feedback, no matter what sort.

12. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Lilith, I'd hardly call notice of your work "spam." It's a joy to read anything you write. Thank you!

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wow, fascinating take there. I feel bad for Melody, who wouldn't want to have super powers. :(

14. L0B0

L0B0 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2008
    Now there's something you don't see everyday - the extraordinary becomes the norm, and what was normal is now the minority.

Talk about keeping things in perspective :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.