main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X2: X-Men United Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pogey, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Ah, my favorite superhero movie ever (Yes better then Spider-Man 2)

Wiki plot synopsis:

The film is loosely based on the 1982 X-Men graphic novel God Loves, Man Kills. In the film, William Stryker is a high-ranking army colonel who leads an assault into Professor Xavier's school to build his own version of Xavier's mutant-tracking computer Cerebro in order to destroy every mutant on Earth. The X-Men are forced to ally with Magneto and Mystique to defeat Stryker.

This film built upon the first and brought so much more Alan Cumming's Nightcrawler owned most of the scenes in which he appeared. The mutant's powers were used more awesomely and it followed the norm of sci-fi 2nd films by killing off a beloved character, surprisingly dramaticly, though the final scene gives away her return. You could tell that they had alot of fun making it and Patrick Stewart, Alan Cumming, Ian McKellan and Brian Cox gave standout performances. It's one of several superhero movie sequels that has proved ot be better than the original, though the X-Men trilogy suffered a curse that affected The Godtfather the Star Wars OT, Back to the Future, and others with the first being good the 2nd building upon it and making it truly awesome, then the third disappointing.

Well here we shall discuss the 2nd film telling the stories of Xavier and his students:

2. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Well[face_plain] The x-men trilogy is good but there are superherofilms that are far superior IMO like Batman begins, Superman the movie and spider-man 1-2. X-men is good tough and among the better comic book films. I saw the third and your right, it was the worst and the charecters were treated like **** gough cyclops gough. But it had some realy cool action scenes and the leads kind of saved it from being a complete trash so there ya go.

3. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Despite how awfully treated the characters are (Cyclops, the leader of the X-Men getting about 5 minutes of screen time and the mutant bad boy Wolverine being turned into the role model lead character of the trilogy) I do like the trilogy.

Made me hate Wolverine though. The worlds most overrated character by far.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though Cylops gets the short end of the stick in X2 (his one scene in the prison was killer though)- X2 is, far and away, the best comic book movie to date. It just got the feel of X-Men perfectly. It's a shame that everything this movie built up was ruined by X3, otherwise the X-trilogy as a whole may have been even higher ranked than it now in it's more diminished end result.

5. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Oddly enough, X3 has made a significant amount more than X2.

6. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i loved that they included Nightcrawler in this. however i wish more characters were expanded on. especially cyclops and colossus

7. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Here's what I think of the characters and how they were treated:

Wolverine: It bugged me that they didn't focus on his anti-hero side as much and it really felt like he was a do-gooder noble X-Man, which is OOC.

Storm: Still miscast as Halle Berry, but at least her hair wasn't as distracting. Nice use of her powers in the x-jet dogfight

Jean Grey: Famke Jammsen delivered a great performance that is overshadowed by her 2-D performance of Dark Phoenix in X#. I loved how her powers began to evolve.

Cyclops: Talk about cheaped out. A lack of character development led to him coming off as a by the book not cool person in X1. I hoped they would mend this in X2 but he drops out after act 1 and doesn't reappear till' the end. James Marsden does a great performance after Jean's death without the benefit of eyes. He's only in 2 scenes in X3 so he's a charcater that really get's the raw deal throughout the trilogy.

Nightcrawler: Great character. Great performance. I loved how he tatooes himself every time he sins. Favorite character and performance in the whole trilogy.

Professor X: Although not as bad as Cyclops, the good prof. always seemed a little underused. Though I liked how theyr brought him more into the main plot. In the end though. Professor X is always standing (sorry, sitting) on the sidelines

Magneto: Great. 2nd favorite. Ian McKellan is swell in any movie he's in. Magneto's breakout is one of my favorite scenes.

Mystique: I liked how Rebecca Romijn-Stamos tried to infuse some character this time around. She's OOC in X3 though especially helping out the humans.

Pyro: not Australian

Colossus: not Russian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.