main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania yet another ozhaggis rant : sharks!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    The ability to repel sharks with electronic devices exists. You can find an example here.

That's our alternative. It's available and viable.
    The same technology should be used to protect the popular beaches in QLD and NSW, instead of the netting system currently used that not only kills Sharks, but Dolphins, Tutles and Whales as well.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't think of vegetarianism without think of Sil's sig.

E_S

3. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    You know what they should do?

1. Shark kills/mauls/bites someone.
    2. Authorities get angry, and the media gets involved.
    3. Authorities decide a plan must be taken (a mature and socially responsible one)
    4. They decide to bite the sharks back, to teach them a lesson.
    5. The plan is scrapped; instead, Naomi Robson and Ray Martin are fed to the sharks.
    6. We live in a utopian society, where humans and shark coexist in peaceful fruition.

4. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I've never heard of anyone being attacked by a Fraser Island dingo that wasn't on Fraser Island, THEIR environment.

I know it's risky to swim, boat, scuba, surf, snorkel, fish etc, but the ocean is part of our environment, not just theirs. They happen to live in the ocean, a dingo happens to live on land. People use the ocean as well as the land, where's the difference if someone is killed on land or on the ocean? They are both as dead as each other, yet only the land based animal is punished.

5. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Sharks are cool. Without sharks honestly, do you think speilberg would have made Jaws? No. And without Jaws, there would proberly be no E.T., or Jurassic Park, or Indiana Jones in its current form. Common, sharks are part of the reason we've gotten some cool flicks. As for the risk of swimming at beaches, which is uber low, I wouldn't start worrying until something like this happens :

[image=http://www.sharksswimming.com/web%20photos/helicopter%20shark.jpg]

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

7. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002

FAKE! That looks so INCREDIBLY FAKE!!

I can say that because the tail wheel actually sits higher than that. That's a very fake helicopter.

8. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Of course its fake. Im pretty sure the helicoptor is real, tho I may be mistaken.

9. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    ...did you read my post?
    :oops:

[face_laugh]

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Sharkboy and Larva Girl.

I'm sure we could feed Robert Rodriguez and his idiot kids to a white pointer.

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Actually dude, that chopper is real ;)
    Dunno whats with the rear wheel but I've actually seen the footage of this training sequence.
    Obviously minus the poorly composited shark. ;)

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    makes for an exciting shot though!

13. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Not just hardcore, sharks are... THE MOST EXTREME!!!11one

As for sharks... I can't believe it's taken this long to bring up Bat-Shark Repellant. Seriously, all we need is to get Batman to mass produce the stuff and everything will be peachy keen.

Lastly, re: dogs/dingos/stupid people. Put 'em all down. If I had my way I'd be putting things to sleep left, right and centre. Shark attacks are not usually fatal from the shark actually tearing the victim apart - blood loss, shock and hypothermia are usually the main culprits for actual cause of death.

Probably 9 times out of 10, we don't need to hunt the shark down and kill it. But every now and again, you'll get a man-hunter and that's going to make things unsafe. As for the Fraser Island incident... I don't think the dingos should have been put down. The family that takes a 12 year old boy to an island of dingos surrounded by "shark-infested" waters (ok, Fraser Island's waters do actually have a lot of sharks. There are signs just about everywhere informing visitors of this and you'd be an idiot to head out for a surf, even though the island gets some awesome swell along it's eastern coast. In fact, now that I think about it, there are pretty much a bazillion signs warning about dingos too...) should be put down. As for dogs though, I'd have to say the any dog that, unprovoked, attacks a human needs to be put down.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Nothing is wrong with the rear wheel. It's a perfect functional Sea Hawk.

E_S

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    But every now and again, you'll get a man-hunter and that's going to make things unsafe.

I aint shooting you down or anything like that, or yelling PPOR, but are there an solid examples of this happening?

16. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Well, I guess what he's really saying is that most of the time they eat women, instead of men. Or they snack on little children, or...

17. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I heard there was a grandma-eating shark once.

18. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Yeah, Spielberg did a whole series of documentaries on them...

Ok, I'm no scientist, or doctor, or sharkologist or whatever so I don't have stats on shark attacks, or patterns of attack or whatever.

But through the powers of inference, since the media only reports on man-hunting/man-eating sharks we can pretty safely guess that there's a whole lot of sharks out there that don't do that kind of thing.

19. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    There's no such thing as a manhunting shark. There's just lots of nasty, tricksy people going out in the ocean, disguising themselves as seals to our friends from the deep. They create an enticing silhouette to lure innocent sharks up from below and next thing you know ptooey! poor sharky is spitting out bones and polyester resin and thinking to itself where is my big juicy blubbery seal meal?

And I think that 'punishing' an animal that has been cruising the oceans for 330 million years is a little ambitious. If they haven't worked it out by now that those tough, stringy bipeds they've been sharing the planet with for a few tens of thousands of years are not only not terribly tasty but also mercilessly vindictive, they're never going to. One thing they have worked out, though, is that when someone else has nicked all their grub, it's best to take what you can when you find it.

20. Scoot

Scoot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Fish (and people?) are Friends. Not Food!

21. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Okay for those who missed it (surprisingly there were a few of you), I was making a joke.

Yes the shark was added to the pic. Everyone knows that. So I said "fake", meaning you'd think I meant the shark, hence me saying the chopper as a joke.

:_|

22. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    I want someone to catch the shark that keeps snacking on people in S.A. and put it in a really big tank. Then they can catch that croc that keeps snacking on people in the N.T. and put it in the tank with the shark. Then they can take bets on who's going to win the shark/croc battle of the century.

23. Foxi

Foxi Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    That's an awesome idea! They can fight for the 'Most Extreme!' crown and ribbon.

24. Loopster

Sep 26, 2000
    Actually, I've another idea. They can have two tanks, side by side with the shark in one and the croc in the other. Then we get to throw members of JI into each tank and take bets on which one will manage to swim to the other side without becoming a dirty little terrorist coward shark/croc snack.

25. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Hey hey hey! let's not feed out prehisotric friends junk food!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.