main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[YJCC] Moderator Coverage

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark_Lady_Jada, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Say, you wouldn't be available to fill those gaps, would you?

2. The_Scarlet_Woman

The_Scarlet_Woman Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2005
    Ignant, you seem to be very knowledgeable about how things work around here. Were you ever a Mod?

How would Dark_Lady_Jada become a Mod?

I still don't think an extra Mod is necessary based on all the points that have been raised by others who feel the same way.

3. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I bypassed mod and went straight to King of the JC, back when it was a monarchy.

DLJ, or anyone else for that matter, would become a mod by being selected by the MS. Self promotion is looked down upon. Promotion by other members is looked down upon.

4. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Thank you, Ignant.

5. alt0233

alt0233 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 4, 2002
    Jada-

One thing you might do in order to emphasize the fact that there's a gap in coverage and that it's causing problems is to PM the mods whenever something happens and no one's on to take care of it. That way, not only do you know that they'll see it when they get on and take care of it, but there will also be a PM record of dates and times that it was an actual issue. Having that kind of ammunition would really emphasize what you're trying to say, I think, because until then, there's no real record as to whether it's a problem or not.

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    But there are times like this when another mod would be handy.

There are always times when another mod would be handy. But if there was another mod, there's no guarantee that that person would be on either. So would we then be arguing that the JCC needs a sixth mod? What if that mod also wasn't around? Would we start a movement for a seventh just to be absolutely sure a small parody thread or a slightly redundant thread is locked immediately instead of in an hour or two?

We worked well when it was myself, dashy, kate and nashira - and that was four mods (or was it three?).

That's another thing. With too many mods it's easy for one or two to just sort of sit back playing with their colors while all problems are taken care of due to the coverage by the others.

I don't understand *why* anyone would complain about a non-JCC mod removing something obvious from the JCC. Anything borderline can be removed, and the mod who does can clearly state "I'm removing this, but if I'm wrong a JCC mod can rectify the mistake when they arrive".

My only problem with that is that the decision is never overturned. Anything borderline should be reported in the JCC MS thread, assuming it still exists, and a JCC should handle it when available.

In addition, I agree with everything Kate said, because she's smarter than all of us.

Amazing.

7. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    The_Scarlet_Woman posted on 9/15/05 3:03pm
    Don't the moderators have the Shadow Sith Army helping them?

I did read the first post of the Shadow Sith Army thread and their mission statement.

Surely with this formidable army started by a YJCC Moderator, we don't need any more mods.

Mods from other forums have already offered their assistance when there are gaps in coverage.

I'm not sure there is a problem here. But, as usual, I could be wrong. [hr][/blockquote]

This is totally off-topic to the subject, but I wanted to address it here since it was raised.

Scarlet, 1) the SSA [i]assists[/i], whenever possible, the Mods of the JCC, and other forums when it is approsriate, by notifying them of violations. First and foremost, though, we try to help by making users better overall posters on the boards. 2)"Started by a YJCC Moderator" is incorrect. I helped found the group, started by Jedi_Satimber, DarkLadyJada, Cobranaconda and Master-Mishima. I was actually the last of the 5 'founding' Council Masters to be brought in. Since being promoted to JCC Mod, I have stepped aside from my Council position, and act as an Advisor to the group now, so there is no conflict of interest. That was voluntary on my part.

As for the gaps, I understand where some might assume there is need for another Mod. However, as has been said, covering a forum 24/7, even with 5, is nigh on impossible. Remember that, aside from the 4 listed in the header, Malkie is an 'honorary' JCC Mod, and stands in often when someone is MIA, so to speak. I would hope that, once KW is back to 'full strength on posting, fewer gaps will be noticeable in the JCC. But I would wait until we are back to our full Mod coverage to see where we stand then.

EDIT: Markup

8. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    alt0233, excellent idea. Thank you. :)

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    One thing you might do in order to emphasize the fact that there's a gap in coverage and that it's causing problems is to PM the mods whenever something happens and no one's on to take care of it. That way, not only do you know that they'll see it when they get on and take care of it, but there will also be a PM record of dates and times that it was an actual issue. Having that kind of ammunition would really emphasize what you're trying to say, I think, because until then, there's no real record as to whether it's a problem or not.

Absolutely. I've seen it happen more than enough times, and a PM record to the JCC mods would make it a bit more clear to them how much slips through the cracks. Heck, we should probably all be PMing them if it's going to be the only way to make the point.

Honestly, this is only one of a whole handful of issues I feel need to be resolved with the current JCC team... but this probably isn't the time or place to go on griping about all of them, and I think most people who like to listen to such things have already heard my opinions a time or ten anyway.

10. alt0233

Apr 4, 2002
    You should just make Beth and I mods again. We'd straighten it right up.

11. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    My only problem with that is that the decision is never overturned.

Actually, I have unedited edits Dantanna made, and unlocked threads an RSA locked before. It does happen sometimes!

12. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Well, there is the answer to who is available and qualified. :D

And I know I've seen that on occasion. I've also seen non-YJCC mods say "I'm locking this until a YJCC mod can get online and deem whether it is appropriate for the forum or not."

13. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Over the past few months, I've tended to see no coverage of JCC whilst I lurk in the evenings my time (around midnight PST). As an example, right now, there are no JCC mods online, and there are only 2-3 mods total online. Since Kavic logged out anhour ago, no one's been online. Some nights, the gap in coverage extends over 3-4 hours (I'm not saying all the time). Exciting things don't tend to happen around midnight, true, but when something does, there's often not a JCC mod there to cover it.

And I know I've seen that on occasion. I've also seen non-YJCC mods say "I'm locking this until a YJCC mod can get online and deem whether it is appropriate for the forum or not."

I've seen that a bit too.

I_F

14. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    DLJ, or anyone else for that matter, would become a mod by being selected by the MS. Self promotion is looked down upon. Promotion by other members is looked down upon.

I don't think DLJ or anyone for that matter is using this thread as a way to elevate themselves to a mod. I believe that she started this thread with a valued point, one that people have different views on, and is trying to start a discussion, so the problem can be fixed.

Exciting things don't tend to happen around midnight, true, but when something does, there's often not a JCC mod there to cover it.

Not on a regular basis, no. But you never know. And the fact that there is a several hour gap- I'm not saying that Kavic or anyone else should stay up all night just to mod the boards. But I believe during the very early morning hours in the US is when most lulls are. And if I wanted to start trouble, I'd do it then because of the fact that there's a good chance it will be several hours until a mod gets back on.

Honestly, this is only one of a whole handful of issues I feel need to be resolved with the current JCC team... but this probably isn't the time or place to go on griping about all of them, and I think most people who like to listen to such things have already heard my opinions a time or ten anyway.

Now I am curious...

15. The_Scarlet_Woman

Jul 23, 2005
    Thank you for explaining.

But I really don't care anymore.

Which is probably a good thing. :)

16. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Ah, this explains alot...

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If all these mods that are being brought in aren't available, then boy, something's awry with the mod selection process.

18. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    If all these mods that are being brought in aren't available, then boy, something's awry with the mod selection process.

Hmm...

I have a question. How does the mod squad decide on a candidate? We know that the mods all vote on the best choice. But how does one get to the voting round, so to speak? Are things like times available and average amount of time on the boards something taken into account? Or is it something entirely different?

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Yes, things like availibitly are a qualifier for an empty MOD position. I always thought that Users nominate candidates for MS to review.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Times at which they post, their general manner, quality of contribution to the forum they might end up modding, knows the forum through experience, knows the rules of the JC. The MS often arrives at it's own choice of candidates, but should a 'vacancy' arise, it is becoming more and more common for regular users to PM their own suggestions. Final decision rests with the MS though.

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    ^ what he said.

Although it's important to promote someone who regularly posts on the time zone we need covered, we wouldn't promote someone based solely on that criteria. It's sometimes hard to find quality posters at certain times, and when that's happened we've actually held off promoting anyone (rather than promote a subpar candidate).

Often people's online times change and hence we actually do have the right people for the right time - however sadly the converse happens too, which is why we lost Quix recently.

22. alt0233

Apr 4, 2002
    So if you're a moderately reasonable mod candidate living in a high-competition timezone, would you say that moving to Australia or Europe would increase your chances of being named moderator?

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yes. I think Bangladesh in particular might be a good place to go since it's roughly halfway between those two places. Get packing, sockie. ;)

The MS often arrives at it's own choice of candidates, but should a 'vacancy' arise, it is becoming more and more common for regular users to PM their own suggestions. Final decision rests with the MS though.

See, that's part of what I don't like about the current system. {Commence griping again.} The membership only sometimes has input in the decision, and regardless, the final decision always rests with the MS? To me, it seems totally preposterous that people who moderate forums like Costuming & Props and might not even visit the JCC get to have more say on who mods there than JCCers do. Most mod votes are decided by people who don't even know anything about the candidates other than the information they're able to cull from a quick skim over the user's profile and latest posts. That being the case, I think the MS has absolutely no grounds for claiming that the regular users can't handle having more input in the decision when most of the mods themselves aren't even qualified.

And come to think of it, how does the MS even get away with claiming that they're somehow more mature or better able to make good choices than the membership? There have been times in the past when that may have been true, but frankly, I see little innate difference nowadays. I'm not going to call anyone out by name, but I do have to be frank here - there are some current mods I don't quite see as exemplars of diplomacy, intelligence, and good taste.

24. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003

I agree with what you're saying, Beth, the fact that mods who've never even seen the JCC much less posted there or have any idea what's best for the forum can decide who'll be the next moderator is a problem. But what are you supposed to do? Not allow any mods who don't post regularly in the JCC to vote on a new JCC mod? Doesn't seem like a great plan to me. And yeah, some of the users in the JCC probably could and would make good choices on new mods. But we all know that letting the regular users vote isn't plausible(in terms of logistics alone, not even considering that the chances of a vote by the masses actually picking a candidate who's best for the job is slim to none). The system in place isn't perfect, but there's not really a plausible alternative. The forum mods generally know what candidate is the best for their forum, and if mods who aren't familiar with that forum follow the forum mods' suggestion, then the system will work well. And that's how it should be, IMHO.

25. alt0233

Apr 4, 2002
    If we need someone from India, I'd like to nominate Kyp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.