main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA YO JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sol_Jedi, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    The Chinese isn't doing this because they're having a private screening for Power 106, but it's gonna be at the Arclight. Any takers? I'm getting my ticket Thursday

2. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Sorry we are out already have tickets for HPIMAX at the Bridge for Thursday!!!

3. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm glad you changed this to Saturday. It was fun and so was the movie.

4. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Yes, although this movie lacked some vital JOE aspects, overall it was fun, enjoyable and didn't have racist robots getting in your face and forcing bad jokes on you.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Transformers 2 was far superior to this film in every respect. If you compare effects, it's not even close, despite GI Joe costing a lot of money too.

But sheesh, I thought I had seen some BAD dialogue in my days. The more I sit here and think about this film, the more I hate it and everyone who made it. The screenwriting was horrible, if that's what passes for good blockbuster screenwriting, then really ANYONE should be able to break into this business. It makes no sense that it'd be so difficult to make it when you have something that bad that goes to theaters. The dialogue was among the absolute worst I've ever seen, including the worst indie films by amateurs. Even those had more charm in their dialogue. These characters were pathetic, there wasn't a real character in the bunch. Every basic screenwriting book on developing characters or plot was obviously not a concern of these writers. I wish it said something like "Screenwriting By (insert executive)" because then I could at least forgive it and figure, eh, they knew they'd make money. But it's not that tough to put in some good lines, it really isn't.

At least in Transformers, I mean the first in this case, there were some funny one liners, and the characters seemed like real people. The dialogue was still overall pretty bad, pretty corny, in both Transformers films, but it still didn't approach the sheer putridity of GI Joe.

If my first feature film was anything close to as awful as GI Joe, despite my budgeting being more than 1,000 times smaller, I would hang myself by my own intestines. It was just awful. The story was ****, but the worst part was just watching these useless characters and the predictable events that unfold. Would it be asking too much for at least one semi-plot twist? At least with Transformers 2 I didn't see much of that film coming because the plot was so ludicrously incomprehensible that it was completely unpredictable, hahaha, which isn't a good thing either, but it was at least more amusing. I wasn't entertained by GI Joe at all, despite the wall-to-wall action and effects. I can safely say that was a terrible, terrible film. And honestly, I'm usually the guy who supports blockbusters and says, hey, that was stupid, but it was fun.

But this wasn't fun. The acting was terrible. Sienna Miller is gorgeous, but she can't act, and she was one of the better actors among the main people. Mr. Wayans salvaged some parts of the film, some, but besides that it was just pretty awful. The lead, good god, who is this guy? He can't act his way out of a wet papersack. I don't think any of my friends would have cast him in a student film let alone in a major blockbuster. I guess he must be a "hunk" or something because that has to explain how that guy has made it. It's a complete injustice against actually good actors.

EDIT: Can't say those words

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.