main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yoda's stupidest move...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Eminent_Being, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eminent_Being

Eminent_Being Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2007
    When Yoda fights Dooku on Geonosis, Dooku causes a pillar to fall on Obi and Ani. Yoda stops and lifts the pillar off them while Dooku escapes. Why did Yoda not just pull them out from under the falling pillar and then caught Dooku?

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Because Dooku needed to escape to be a villain in the next film. :p Even if Yoda had just pulled Obi-Wan and Anakin out from underneath the pillar he would have needed to make sure that it didn't roll on top of the them. They way he did it, he controlled the pillar's fall and was able to stop its motion. Either way, Dooku probably would have had time to jump in his ship and blast off.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Another poster wondered why he didn't just force push it away. Like DJK said, Dooku needed to survive to be in the next film. Plus Yoda holding a giant piller just about half a meter away from our fallen jedi heroes, looks alot better visually then just yanking their lifeless bodies away.

4. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    I think it would have taken more time to pull them out of there, and the pillar would be ontop of them by then. I don't think he could have just yanked them out of the way, the force takes some concentration and by the time he would have started moving them, the pillar would be on them wouldn't it? Besides he could have injured them more by moving them that fast, I'd think. Concentrating on the pillar would make more sense to me I guess. Dooku could be dealt with later. I'll have to watch it again to see just how fast that pillar is coming down. I just think to Yoda, the price of losing two jedi wasn't worth getting Dooku. He could be dealt with later...

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [face_thinking]

Training Dooku to be a Jedi.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda's first reaction was to grab the crane. It's just pure instinct at work here. You go with the first thing that comes to mind and for Yoda, it was that.

7. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Indeed.

I think that Dooku was the daft one on this occasion, as he could have slain Yoda VERY EASILY when the fatigued Jedi Master was helping Obi-wan.

Well, in theory (a more realistic theory than Yoda pulling Obi-wan away from the falling pillar).

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    You should never move an unconscious person without getting some form of medical clearance first :p

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Whats always kind of bothered me about that scene, is that Obi-Wan is looking up at the pillar while it starts to fall. Why couldnt he have forced pushed it or himself and Anakin away ? Sure hes got a minor cut on his arm and leg, but that shouldnt have decreased his force powers that much. After its all over a few minutes later, he has the power to stand himself up and also to help Anakin get up.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In the PT it almost seems like Yoda is unusual in his ability to Force levitate large objects.
    Because we don't see anyone else do it.

It reminds me of a passage from LOE, about the mag-lev: "They would need Yoda. Maybe five Yodas."
    (something like that)

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Obi-wan and Anakin were originally scripted as trying to stop the crane, but cannot and Yoda is forced to add his power to their's. However, in the final film, Anakin is unconscious and we see a close up of Obi-wan as it comes close to hitting him. However, in every Star Wars film, whenever a Jedi or Sith is injured, they're automatically out of the fight. In capable of doing much of anything. Luke could've easily tried something with the Force after losing his hand and the same way with Vader, who could've done a Force shove on Luke. Dooku pretty much surrenders after losing both hands. Mace can barely deflect the lightning. It seems to me that pain prevents a Jedi and Sith from using the Force properly. That they cannot concentrate on the Force. Note that when Luke is hit the first time by debris, he's unable to do much to stop the onslaught. Part of it is his inexperience, but perhaps it is also because the pain makes it difficult to focus. There does seem to be a presedence (sp).

12. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    IMO, pushing, pulling, Obi-Wan doing something other than just lying there wouldn't not have changed Dooku succeeding with what he intended...escape. Dooku needed a diversion and it seems Dooku knew what Yoda's reaction would be.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I agree Sinister. With all the talk about focus/concentration throughout the entire saga, the pain endured by each character served as a major distraction. The only one who seemed oblivious was Palpatine. The sicko almost seemed to enjoy it, when he was getting fried by own lightning.

14. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I disagree with Yoda's stupidest move being with that pillar. His stupidest move was with Anakin. Instead of treating him like any other Padawan; Yoda should have taken the boy and himself to some deserted planet and trained him himself. Little Ani was unlike any other Padawan and needed special attention.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    If training Dooku wasn't his "stupidest-move" then letting an unseasoned Kenobi train Anakin, was.

16. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    It is a bit unrealistic that Obiwan train Anakin. But if Lucas wanted too, he could have made Obiwan a Master on the Council in TPM. I guess he wanted to add another element to why Anakin turned. Yoda granting Obiwan Anakin as his apprentice, when Obiwan was just days before made a Knight and Anakin is already much older than a regular youngling and has the highest midichlorian count in recorded history is maybe not the best choice looking back on it. But, IMHO, Anakin as Vader was going to happen if Palpatine was allowed to do everything he did, no matter who Anakin's master was.

17. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    BY FAR his stupidest move was not taking Obi Wan with him to fight the Emperor. Why split up? Kenobi and Yoda vs Palpatine. Let's just say Obi Wan bites it and Yoda kills Palpatine. Then it's Yoda vs. Anakin. That's not even a contest. And better yet, how about Yoda not being in Mace's Posse? WT* is that?

Mace: "Yoda, I'm taking 3 other guys to arrest the DARK LORD OF THE SITH."

Yoda: "NO. Wait for me. I'll be there in a few hours. Get Mundi, Fisto, Kenobi, and Anakin. We're all going over there, and we're going to bring him to justice."

Instead, Yoda's chopping off the heads of a couple tree troopers. Real good.

That's the council's, if not Yoda's, stupidest move.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    So you would agree that Anakin is not more powerful than Yoda by the time of ROTS?

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Edit: Oh, I agree with that Fenn. Yoda woulda kicked AnaVader's impatient ass all over the place.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with that post.

On a much lighter and non-SW note, Thandie Newton is so blazing hawt, that's almost worth putting up with TC in MI-2. That woman might be flawless. I just happened to flip the channel, man I'm grateful for tivo.:p

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It doesn't matter if Obi-wan is a freshly minted Knight or an experienced Master, Anakin would still fall. Jedi aren't perfect when it comes to training and keeping their students from falling. Look at Yoda and Dooku. Need I say more? What gummed up the works was Palpatine. Name one Jedi during Yoda's time that had a Sith Lord dictating things, almost from the start.

As to the pain, it's all there. I mean, if I shot you in the leg, I gurantee you aren't going to be able to concentrate on an algerbra test. Now, imagine getting into a fight and having a limb cut off. You ain't going to be doing jack with the Force. Palpatine, yeah, he's a sadistic freak.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I mean, if I shot you in the leg, I gurantee you aren't going to be able to concentrate on an algerbra test.

LMAO!! Now that was what I call funny!

As for Kenobi... I agree Anakin was gonna fall no matter what, but giving a brand new Jedi Knight a late-starting Padawan with that much potential hardly looks like the smartest move.

22. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Yoda's stupidest move is found on the EpIII easter egg. Any hip-hop-choroegrapher knows that.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, Anakin would turn and help Palpatine kill all of them. That's a real smart move.

24. Eminent_Being

Eminent_Being Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2007
    Um, I don't think so. Yoda almost had Sidious by himself, and Obi Wan finished Anakin by himself. Let alone having Mace, Ki Adi Mundi, and Kit Fisto there. Between the five of them, the Sith wouldn't have a chance.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    If Anakin felt the Jedi would do anything to get in the way of him learning the so-called secrets from Palpatine... then he would switch sides on the spot and cut them down from behind. Those other three posse members count for nothing against Sidious. Yoda and Mace would have died in the same place if your proposed scenario came to pass. Kenobi was on Utapau and not in the picture. Its one thing to mess with Anakin's friends and comrades... but nothing flipped his biscuit quite like the thought of losing Padme.

In close-quartered combat, the Sith have the advantage because they aren't concerned about collateral damage. The Jedi would be mindful of where the others were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.