main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph You have the ability to inspire great fear: The Sinestro Corps War!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Soontir-Fel, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Picked up Green Lantern #21 today. Wasn't bad, I have to admit, Kyle is scary, but: I want Kyle and Hal's rolls reversed. The Sinestro Corps themselves are darn neat.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    But if the roles were reversed it wouldn't be nearly as meaningful. Since Kyle beating up Paralax already happened, and he's the Corps golden boy it would just be run of the mill. Hal being taken over wouldn't mean as much as Kyle, because Hal's already been taken like that. Kyle was the only one who could fight it off. With this it shows just how ****** the universe is. And if their roles were reversed then Kyle would be the one who leads to Corps to victory, which with him being the Torchbearer it's pretty much expected. Hal's the disgraced boy, he is the lantern who failed. Now it's his chance to redeem himself.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Also, with Kyle being Ion, he was considered to be the good version of Parallax. Now that he's Parallax, matters are worse.

BTW, Newsarama just posted a preview of two upcoming Sinestro Corps specials. One about the Anti-Monitor and one about the Cyborg.

TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: CYBORG SUPERMAN #1
    Written by Alan Burnett
    Art by Patrick Blaine & Jay Leisten
    Cover by Ethan Van Sciver
    Who is Hank Henshaw? What made him the Cyborg Superman, and what does he hope the Sinestro Corp can give him? Alan Burnett (SUPERMAN/BATMAN, Batman: The Animated Series) peels away the mysterious layers of the mechanical monster as the new JLA Watchtower?s defenses are put to the test against him and the Sinestro Corps!
    On sale October 17 ? 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Oct07/TSC_CSM_Cv1_solicit.jpg]

TALES OF THE SINESTRO CORPS PRESENTS: THE ANTI-MONITOR #1
    Written by Geoff Johns & Sterling Gates
    Art by Pete Woods & Jerry Ordway
    He nearly destroyed the universe. He has a bloody track record with the Flash family. And he frightens even Superman. He is the Anti-Monitor, the most powerful evil in the DC Universe, and this special one-shot reveals what his future holds! Plus, witness another horrifying Tale of the Sinestro Corps: ?Fear is a Baby's Cry?!
    On sale October 24 ? 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

[image=http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Oct07/TSC_AMR_Cv1_solicit.jpg]

While I don't mind Burnett writing the Cyborg one-shot, I wish it was Dan Jurgens himself doing it.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    bump

Green Lantern #22 is due next week, which features Hal v. Parallax Kyle. So far, everything SCW related has been gold so hopefully that trend continues. (Betcha DC wishes they'd have hyped this to the moon instead of Amazons Attack) :p

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Amazons Attack has been awful. The only good scene I've found in anything even tying in to the story has been the Tim/Cassie kiss. Seriously.

Which brings up what is, for me, a better issue: why does DC suck so badly so often?

DC has, in my opinion, far better characters than Marvel. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, all the Green Lanterns, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, the Question, and so many others. Some plots work very, very well. Looks at Rebirth, Sinestro Corps, the animated series, recent Detective Comics Batman, the current series of Teen Titans (before Crisis hit), and to some extent the Crisis itself.

But: they keep on throwing out crap. Crap art, and worse, crap writing. DC Heroes are the best conceived and worst delivered characters in comics. And then: DC puts out hardcovers, and no trades. How Vertigo and DC can be run by the same people, I don't know.

6. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Someone, I believe it Paul O'Brien who writes the wonderful X-Axis reviews, explained it in a very good way once. Basically, while both companies are event driven right now, Marvel varies theirs a lot more. DC essentially has all their eggs in one basket, and have really been on one long story since Identity Crisis. Marvel does more to have varied events, like Annhiliation and World War Hulk, while DC is on a constant countdown to such and such crisis of the week. I agree that DC has more compelling characters, and I think we're seeing here with SCW how great they can be if done right. But overall, DC is slipping on presenting their characters in a great light.

I like how they are handling SCW though. Besides a couple specials, it's largely contained within only two books. I don't need a "Checklist" to keep track of 78 tie in issues, I can get the entire story with titles I'd normally buy anyway.

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    You don't normally buy GLC.

Because you are the worst Green Lantern fan.

8. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I've bought it before! I just had to save some money for a while...

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    /makes whip noise

I'm sure you had to go...shopping.

did you pick up a pretty dress while you at it?

For you to wear while you pretend to be the prettiest princess?

10. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I don't care what this has to do with anything I just feel it is needed.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/WeaponX2032/Lantern.jpg]

11. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    That has nothing to do with Sinestro. :(

:p

12. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I've now read the first issues of this and wow are things looking bad for the GLC. I have to admit I wish Superboy Prime had stayed in his cage for a longer period of time, but staying in there for over a year is pretty long by comics bad guy standards I suppose. I just feel like the epic Big Bads are more effective when they don't show up very often. Then, when they do, there's more impact.

I'm reserving judgment on the Anti-Monitor returning, but I'm skeptical.

I do agree that this is Hal's chance to redeem himself in the eyes of the Corps. Hal, of all people, being the one the GLC need to unite them, leads to more interesting and stressed character dynamics. Or so I hope. :)

13. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    GL 22 was glorious.

" Despised? Maybe. But abandoned?

The Green Lantern Corps don't do that."

14. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I just love the fact that so much has gone down already and our main baddies haven't even done much yet, besides Parallax. This story is ratching up the epic to new levels of awesomeness.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But it has to do with Parallax. Note that Hal has the white in his hair, which was back when he was coming under the influence of the Parallax entity. So it is a bit relavant, though not by much.

16. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    My god. Sinister figured it out.

'Tian, Katy is the Parralax entity.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

17. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Naturally, my girlfriend is an evil parasitic entity. :p

ps: Katy is not Parallax.

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Aren't they all?

19. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I caught up on this too. Did they release Superboy-Prime? He's been absent.

20. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Yeah, he's out, and last seen calling Earth "stupid." He gets his own Tales of the Sinestro Corps Special, so that should be fun. Incidentally, Green Lantern #23 this week; next week Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax comes out.

21. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Oh I remember that scene, had no idea that was him [face_blush]

22. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Superman Prime now bitches.

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Art imitates life

24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    Word.

25. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    i think in either the next GLC or GL SM-P is going to do something really big. because up until now he's just been sorta sitting around moping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.