main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You know what I missed in PT, no "Wedge type" character

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DAR, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Good old Wedge, you could always count on him. Whether helping Luke in ANH or helping to destroy the second Death Star in ROTJ, Wedge was always there. As strange as this sounds, I missed that there wasn't this type of character in the Prequel Trilogy. Or were there any attempts to make a character like Wedge and I missed it.

2. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Ric Olie [face_laugh]

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Well, Wedge is Wedge. His place is in the OT.

4. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I suppose if Captain Panaka was in all the prequels,he would sort of be like Wedge. Sorta.

5. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Hello what about Plo Koon!!!

6. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I have to agree here.

7. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Matt-trooper posted on 5/13/05 3:17am
    I suppose if Captain Panaka was in all the prequels,he would sort of be like Wedge. Sorta.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Yeah, that was probably the original plan. It makes sense.

8. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    If only there had been a "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" guy in the PT to really tie the two trilogies together...missed opportunities, Georgie Boy, missed opportunities!

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I've thought about this too. They should've given the role of the Queen's pilot (but maybe someone better t han Ric Olie) a small role in all three films.

10. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Why do people keep stating that the PT should have possessed the same elements as the OT in order to be just as good? Why does the PT have to be like the OT?

It's ridiculous. The PT is an entirely different story, set in a different kind of era that serves as a background or prelude to the OT. I would have been disappointed if Lucas had simply made the PT a replica of the OT. That would have smacked of a lack or originality. Perhaps the lack of originality is prized among the moviegoers.

11. Sweetcurse

Sweetcurse Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2004
    You know what I love about the PT? No lame attempts to copy OT "character types."
    I say that because I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out and it had the "Han Solo" type with Dash Rendar. I thought that was really lame. I mean, there's only one Han and to try to copy it in the PT with a "character type" would have been insulting to the character.

In this case, Dash was such a horrible attempt at replacing Han that it almost made me puke when reading SOTE. Now, the story wasn't bad, but that bit really bothered me.

When the PT came out, I was fearing they would do the same again and have OT "Character types" as lame as Dash. But thank goodness they didn't, instead, we only get the characters we need, and if one seems to resemble an OT character, it is merely the product of the story, not a premeditated attempt to include "types" to please fans.

Another one I feared was Chewbacca. Chewbacca is waaaay cool and I wouldn't have wanted a "Chewbacca Type" in the PT. I'm so happy Jar Jar was the far removed from resembling Chewie.

Here's hoping the same goes for ROTS!

Strilo edit: This is a parody thread of the Wedge one.

I disagree with the lockdown of my thread as I feel my view is opposite to this thread. Nevertheless, I will comply with the will of the mods and post here instead.

Also, I MADE TTS!!!

12. Obi1_Shinobi

Obi1_Shinobi Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    One of the major problems people seem to have with the PT is what they call "a lack of charm", I think this basically means a lack of Han Solo. Now don't get me wrong Han is one of my favourite Star Wars characters (second only to Yoda in fact), but trying to emulate him in the prequels would not have worked. The characters (well jedi characters) are not supposed to be charming or endearing. This helps us to understand Anakin's lack of respect for, and eventual turn from the jedi order, which seems to demand inhuman perfection and a lack of emotional attachment to anyone. Unfortunately a lot of people see these Jedi as "dull" when in fact they are simply working by the book.

I've said this time and time again, the PT is not the OT, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

13. KyleKatarn96

KyleKatarn96 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2004

Why do people keep stating that the PT should have possessed the same elements as the OT in order to be just as good? Why does the PT have to be like the OT?

It's ridiculous. The PT is an entirely different story, set in a different kind of era that serves as a background or prelude to the OT. I would have been disappointed if Lucas had simply made the PT a replica of the OT. That would have smacked of a lack or originality. Perhaps the lack of originality is prized among the moviegoers.

-i agree these movies are supposed to be different. They are telling a COMPLETELY different story then the OT

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I have to agree with I believe the last three or two posters on this. The PT dose not need a Han type character. This is a different time in the PT.

I don't want a remake of the OT I want six different movies all with different story with one main story running in all six. I also want to see as many planets as we can. I also want to see as many humans, alines, and driods. I have got that in ever movie. The Star Wars galaxy is big. :)

15. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    What about Bail Antilless? Would he... sort of... count as a Wedge esque PT character?

16. demented_gungan

demented_gungan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    Bail Antillies isnt even seen on screen in any of the PT.

Plo Koon (cool as he is!) gets very little screen time in eps 1 and 2.

I'd have to agree with the Panaka/Typho character being the closest to the "Wedge" character

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.