main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    ...you know how to get the accent over the e in Padmé and various other Naboo related names.

Very guilty! Try explaining how you learned that trick to your staff members/sponsor on the yearly annual!

Your favorites/bookmarked sites are mostly fanfictions, or somehow fanfiction related.

Truly, deeply guilty. That's all I have.

...your mom calls you and asks what you're doing, and you say, "I'm checking my email." "Reading" is also another good excuse.

Uh huh. Except I also tell that to my grandmother (who's very nosy) and nephew.

I just usually kind of give a vague "I write a lot" since I still haven't managed to explain Fan Fic to my family despite them all having read some of mine.

Yeah, same here.

...when you watch movies and wonder how you can use the plot in your fiction.

...when you talk about 'flaming' to other people.

...when you can't sleep because a fic is going to be updated tomorrow morning (for me, Anakin's death scene in The Paths of Fate)

...when you know the html for italics and bold by heart.

Apologies if anyone else covered these, I was skimming.

JS

2. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    ...your sister, when talking about a kid she works with, says, "Kip is useless", and you take offense and start listing all the useful things about Kyp Durron, and why you think he's perfect for Jaina Solo.

(Which could also work for "you know you're a Kyp fangirl when..." or "you know you're a K/J shipper when..)

...when you know what a K/J shipper (or J/J, or A/A, etc.) is.

...when you wake up at 4am for work thinking, "What if Jaina saved Kyp's life instead of Jag's in Rebel Dream?"

...when you spend insane amounts of time online with your friend in Germany, completely disregarding time zones and the need for sleep, scripting out the scenes to base your SW character's live journals on.

...when you have a live journal for a Star Wars character.

...when you have an AIM screen name for said SW character.

~Abby~

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004

[face_mischief]

And when you constantly refer to them as a separate person, who tells you what to write...

4. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    Man...and I thought I was the only one who did that! :eek: :p

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Come on now, show of hands, who here has ever uttered the phrases, "[Insert Character Name here] just wrote that [his/her]. I don't know where it came from. How does [he/she] *do* that?"

Because your characters, OC and Canon, completely live in your head....?

We're sad

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    woah.... soooo guilty of these. :p

You give your younger cousins those little six-dollar lightsabers and call them your padawans :p

You make said cousins fight so you can coreograph a fight scene :p

You let said cousins wreck your bedroom coreographing said fight scene. :p

come on, I know you've done it.

7. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Come on now, show of hands, who here has ever uttered the phrases, "[Insert Character Name here] just wrote that [his/her]. I don't know where it came from. How does [he/she] *do* that?"

::raises hand:: I am so glad I'm not the only one who's a complete schitzo (please excuse my horrible spelling) ;)

8. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    God, I do so many of those.... I dream SW every night. Like last night, actually. And I always get plot bunnies from dreams. :)

...you've taken the toy lightsaber and forced a cousin to chuck ping-pong balls at you as you try to deflect them.

...you write angsty poetry during math and then realize it all applies to your favorite OC.

...You ask all your friends whether a .45 caliber handgun would put a hole in your head or make your head explode like a watermelon...and one of them knows.

...You read the Han Solo Adventure books and spend the whole time wondering what would happen if Han Solo and Bria Tharen had a kid, and promptly start a fanfic about it, only to realize the idea is idiotic and leave it to wallow in the depths of your hard drive.

...You write entire stories in your head while swimming, walking, attending math class, showering, lying in bed, listening to music, etc, and currently have about five fanfictions going in your head that will probably never get written down.

9. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

...you think there's nothing wrong with going to school wearing your Darth Vader necklace, even if that involves hearing people make mechanical breathing noises down the hall when you pass...

10. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    ...You ask all your friends whether a .45 caliber handgun would put a hole in your head or make your head explode like a watermelon...and one of them knows.

I don't know your friends, but they scare me.
    But that sounds like something that would happen in my class, if I asked my friends something like that... >>;

...when your list of books that you NEED to read to remind yourself of necessary background info for a fic is about a mile long.

11. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003

*raises her hand* Me! Most definitely me!

:Targeter:

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm constantly asking my husband what various injuries would do to the human body. He used to work in the emergency room and has pretty much seen it all. I ask how much blood, how likely to survive, what it would look like, etc. He just answers and then shakes his head, looking at me sadly. He's probably wondering if this insanity is hereditary and if our children will get it. Too late, one already has it and writes fan fiction! HA HA HA~

13. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    Hahahahaha!!!!!

According to my dad, Insanity is hereditary and you can get it from your kids...

You realize that one of your main reviewers is your math teacher... and it's a good thing.

You argue the authenticity of sibling relationships in the EU and then write your own fic to better reflect real siblings.

14. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Just thought of another one:

...You KNOW what's going to happen in your next post, but are avoiding writing it because you don't WANT it to happen. And the idea of writing something else has not even crossed your mind.

Believe me, djcati, my friends scare me too.

15. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Oops, sorry I have a double post. :*

16. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    ..50% of your wadrobe consists of Star Wars clothing you most likely bought from ebay.

..you can explain the background of every character in the movies.

..you wear a Vader t-shirt to school, nobody has a clue who he is, and you are forced to explain just becuase it annoys you too much to leave them in the dark.

Okay, that's all I have. I haven't read any of the others (yet) so if I repeated any I am very sorry. This thread just caught my eye. :)

17. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I have a Millenium Falcon necklace. :D The charm came with a bookmark (heehee, Han was on it [face_blush] ), and one of my friends said it would make a good necklace. So I took it off, looped a cord through it, and presto!

And then people at work made fun of me when I showed it to them. But that's more a geek thing than a writer thing. :p

A writer: when you buy Pepsi Blue just so you can drink it and pretend you're Obi-Wan at the Outlander, thus getting yourself into the zone for writing him.

18. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    When you're sitting in your first Naval Science/NJROTC class and you think 'oh so [insert character name] has been standing at attention wrong'...

19. Babi_Tahiri

Babi_Tahiri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2003
    And when you constantly refer to them as a separate person, who tells you what to write...

LMAO!!

...when you spend insane amounts of time online with your friend in Germany, completely disregarding time zones and the need for sleep, scripting out the scenes to base your SW character's live journals on.

OMG!! I laughed so hard because that's ME she's talking about!!

Yup. Got that covered. LOL

20. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004

...and when you are perfectly comfortable signing onto the AIM screen name for said SW character, even though you're the opposite sex.

...when you have certain fonts and colors to represent your OCs, and set those as the defaults for your AIM screen names.

21. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    ...and when you are perfectly comfortable signing onto the AIM screen name for said SW character, even though you're the opposite sex.

It's very amusing at times, ne...

22. Vongchild

Apr 2, 2004
    You know whats going to happen in your next chapter but won't write it because you don't want it to happen. And writing something different hasn't occured to you GUILTY!!!!!!

I have a jersy that says "Skywalker 02" on the back.
    Not sure why. I made it with fabric paint, an old t-shirt, and scissers

23. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    ...you get plot bunnies from practically every song you hear, or adapt the lyrics to fit certain situations and characters.

...you go around asking everyone you know questions like, "How would you describe the sound of dishes falling on the floor?"

...you're watching TV or a movie, and you say things like, "That's totally something Anakin would do" or "Ha! I can just hear Padmé say that!"

My apologies if anyone's already mentioned these. [face_peace] Great minds think alike and all, right? :D

24. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    ...when you show some of your work to someone at school/work/whatever and they say that they have fallen in love with a character or just really like him/her. Your response being, "Awesome. I'll go tell [insert character name] that when I get home."

....realize said character is not there *only* when you get home (so now you're left standing in your bedroom dumbly)...or at least after you leave the person and now they're laughing at you. :p

25. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    ..you ask to begin a corporate meeting with the Imperial march because it makes you feel more in your element.

..you keep action figures by your computer for inspiration.

..you accidentally type [insert character name] when writing something totally SW unrelated.

Probably nothing original with such and extensive listing. ;) I don?t know what scares me more: how the list grew so big or how many things I can identify with. :eek: