main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG You know you're obsessed with Star Wars when...

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by JediClare, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, Aurebesh is a low grade aphrophycal alphabet/written version of Basic first created by WEG(West End Games) for RPG. It clashes with the written versions of Basic seen on gospel and canon versions and therefore is not canon.

...you can rattle the above off. :p

btw, is there a version of Basic that is the most widely accepted and used? I'd like to learn it.

2. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Errmmm... I dun know. Does anyone here knows.

3. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    "Actually, Aurebesh is a low grade aphrophycal alphabet/written version of Basic first created by WEG(West End Games) for RPG. It clashes with the written versions of Basic seen on gospel and canon versions and therefore is not canon."

technically, it wouldn't be canon...just continuity. and the movies & affiliated canon material are so friggin riddled with all sorts of discrepancies and contradictions that people tend to ignore some of the minor specifics.

aurebesh is widely regarded as ONE of the dominant forms of writing the phonetics used by Basic, which is THE language of the galaxy. in other words, basic can be written in several ways, aurebesh being one of them. according to its creator and timothy zahn in specter of the past, aurebesh was used mainly for technical (ie military & commercial) applications ( hence it's use on the computer screens of the 2nd death star...sure, the control to the tractor beam on the 1st DS was labelled in plain english...but let's just forget about that, shall we? ;) ). for other applications (like poetry, perhaps?), other written means are used....
    regardless, it's all pronounced the same way - in Basic. but let's not forget that the sw universe is a big place....several other spoken languages exist. a real world anology can be provided by likening Basic to spoken english, which is the primary means of communication here. unlike our world, however, there are many ways of writing this spoken english language, not just with the letters A,B,C etc we're used to.

u can check out http://www.echostation.com/features/aurebesh.htm
    for more info.

so...to answer your question, clare, aurebesh would indeed be the most widely accepted & used form of writing basic...even big shots like zahn & george lucas himself implement it in their works. the site above has a list of references between aurebesh letters & letters of the english language.

4. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ic. Thanks :)

5. G2Jedi

G2Jedi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    like american english and british english?

btw, is a padawan braid grown behind the ear or grown at the sideburns and then tucked back? ani's looked like its grown behind the ear, but obi's looks different.

6. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    It's grown behind the ear. Come to Cosfest and I'll show you my braid. I have yellow, green and white tied on my braid. Meaning
    White - Healer
    Yellow - Lightsaber and other weapons
    Green - Living Force !!!

7. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    no problem, clare.

"like american english and british english?"

not quite. american english & british english use the same letters of the alphabet... their difference is very minor and occurs only in syntax (eg i don't see a point vs i don't see no point) & spelling (eg tyre vs tire).
    the various written forms of basic, however, are composed of different alphabets. let's say for instance that there was this written form of basic called numerals (there isn't, but just play along, k? ;) ). In numerals, 1 represents 'a' in the english language, 2 represents 'b' and so on. the word 'bee' would be denoted by '255' using the numerals system. they are pronounced the same way, though. likewise, there are various written forms of basic (aurebesh & simple english, for instance) which use different letters and are indeed different when written... when spoken, however, it comes out as spoken english or basic.

8. G2Jedi

Oct 17, 2002
    ic.
    xeno, how come ur skool allows u to grow a braid?

btw, luke skywalker is an anagram of "wake kyle lurks", and Harry Potter, "hero rpt try". :)

9. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    secret...

10. JediJean

JediJean Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    ...your new semester is about to begin, and you can't help but think "Jedi Academy" - LOL! :p

11. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ...your friend draws you holding a lightsabre on the class T-shirt.

... you almost jump out of your seat when you hear a loud humming sound coming from somewhere outside.

(I still don't know what made that noise. Might have been a motorbike or something. I swear it sounded exactly like a lightsabre humming.)

12. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    . . . u said u going to spend this year doing your LOTR costumes and props but still go looking for and buying "TheOne" fabrics to use for your SW Costumes.

13. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ...during a required origami session as part of the Racial Harmony Day + Youth Day + International Friendship Day celebrations in school, your classmates fold paper boats and paper birds. You fold paper X-wings.

... Physics lessons are distracting because the teacher keeps using the phrase 'the force' when teaching.

... you keep seeing 'Chiss' instead of 'Swiss' on your Social Studies notes.

14. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    ... you are at racial harmony day dressing as a Jedi, but people say it's a gregorian monk. :p

15. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    ...you pay attention during Physics when u hear about "balancing of the Force"

...u dropped a pencil and say "i sense a disturbance in the Force"

... your juniors call u "Skywalker" and u tell them to call u Anie.

16. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    ...everyone knows that you also love The Matrix, but when you watch the IMAX version of Matrix Reloaded, you are dressed in your fave Star Wars T-shirt instead! :p

17. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    ...you find a certain part of the following paragraph rather interesting.
    "Owe you!" Raistlin sucked in a hissing breath. "Owe you!" he repeated in a strangled voice, his face pale in the staff's magical light. Furious, he turned and extended his hand toward the draconians. Lightning streaked from his fingertips, striking the creatures in the chest. Shrieking in pain and astonishment, they fell into the water that quickly became foaming and green with blood as the baby dragons cannibalised their cousins.

- DragonLance Chronicles Volume 3: Dragons of Spring Dawning
    :p

18. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    ....you actually take the effort to visit a star wars forum and post stuff on it...

19. G2Jedi

Oct 17, 2002
    stuff such as this ! :p

20. xeryn_

xeryn_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2003
    When during a discussion in Geography class about padi, you suddenly realise that padi looks like padawan and jedi put together. XD

21. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    yeah, that would take a true star wars fan to see the resemblance....i guess i don't qualify. :(

strange how padi's so common nowadays...

22. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    ...when u accidentally call the girl u like Padme even though her name starts with the letter 'H'....

...when everybody in school calls u 'that Star Wars guy'...

... when u call yourself VICEROY even though you're just the vice-chairman of your class...

...when your friends say u look cute in your Jedi costume and then u reply with "there is no cute, there is the Force"...

23. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    ""there is no cute, there is the Force"... "

not in my case, yaz.
    gotta cut down on the ego intake....

....u have an immediate, inexplicable dislike to any1 named spock....

24. xeryn_

xeryn_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2003
    you are overheard exclaiming loudly during a video your chemistry teacher is showing your class "I swear, that beeping in the video sounds EXACTLY like R2-D2!" O_O

25. JediJean

Apr 1, 2002
    ...you're watching a Robbie Williams DVD, the Royal Albert Hall concert one, where he's singing all the "Swing When You're Winning" songs, and you just absolutely KNOW that he IS using Artoo sounds for the Menu screen! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.