main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Just what are the stakes for The Avengers when you know that nothing can really happen to any of the characters...?

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Pfft. What nonsense.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, they can't be maimed or killed, but the events of the movie can still affect the characters and the direction they take in their post-Avengers movies.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Agreed. That sounds awful. It also sounds like a Dexter ripoff.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Maybe they could instead spin it out of his other show, Criminal Minds. Like, have a 3- or 4-part arc in CM where there's a serial killer targeting criminals, and the team is profiling him, and they discover that he has law enforcement or military training, and then in the final episode of the season we find out the trigger was the death of his family, yada yada yada, and then the following year everyone knows who he is and he has to kill bad guys while evading all the good guys on his trail. Yeah. That'd be awesome!

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Hmm. Well, it'd want to do more in that department than Iron Man 2, for starters.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How so? Iron Man 2 was basically about Tony's failure to do everything alone and make him recognize that he does need help from other people every now and then, which pushes him towards the Avengers.

IM2 may have misfired slightly on some elements (though what those elements are will seemingly vary from person to person, such as one's opinion of Sam Rockwell's character) but I think the "can't go it alone" plot is the one thing that definitely worked in the movie (though it seems it's often mistaken for/dismissed as just being setup for the Avengers, so I suppose there was a failure to render that context more clearly).

No doubt Stark's experiences during the Avengers will shape his view of that philosophy going forward into IM3 and the next Avengers arc/phase.

Going back to the original comment/question, I think some of the other's characters evolutions will be more obvious- Cap's still adjusting to modern day, but I think Avengers gives him a purpose to help ease that transition going into his sequel.

Loki's madness here will no doubt impact Thor personally as well (since his brother will have gone from misplaced anger to power-mad psychopath, it seems).

We don't know Widow or Hawkeye well enough yet to predict the impact on them (other than allowing their eventual spin-off solo films to go into production ;)).

I'm hoping, with the greater focus on SHIELD here, that we'll start getting some development of Fury that will carry forward here as well.

"The Avengers" Used iPhone 4 For Filming

"The Avengers" director of photography Seamus McGarvey has made the surprising admission that Joss Whedon's upcoming superhero team-up project used some unconventional shooting techniques.

Specifically several shots of the big-budget tentpole were done with the iPhone 4, in fact some them actually made it into the recent teaser trailer.

"The beauty of photography or cinema is that you make every choice based on the content at hand. On The Avengers, I did a couple of shots on the iPhone and they are in the movie. In fact, they are in the trailer! I understand that sometimes there is no choice and you have to go for the cheapest option, but if you are limited for choice, you can still make poignant decisions that will effect the look of the film" McGarvey told IFTN.

Sadly the cinematographer didn't says which shots were specifically crafted using the smart phone, but the quality of the footage in the trailer itself never demonstrated any visible shift in quality.

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    But doesn't he defeat Iron Monger with Pepper's help in the first one? Doesn't he already defeat Whiplash the first time essentially by himself?

And even if that is the case, that slight shift in character development hardly justifies 2 hours of content. The one memorable thing from the film is the doohickey on Pepper's desk.

I think Favreau's original vision for Iron Man 2, which allegedly focused heavily on the alcoholism of Tony and was going to build up to the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 sounded intriguing, and provided depth and breadth for genuine character and plot development beyond "teamwork is great!"

They're building this up to be some sort of massive, The Dark Knight Rises killer, but it just doesn't feel like it. It's a bunch of franchises crossing over and ultimately, you know that nothing drastic can or will change because the emphasis with Marvel is on franchise rather than good, honest storytelling.

The character development that you're talking about taking place over the case of The Avengers is the kind of stuff that Chris Nolan gets over and done with in an act, tops. You look at those films, and the place that the hero is in is drastically different to where they end up, and that's probably because Nolan's approach is old-fashioned - he's intent on making sure that he does everything he can to make the individual film as satisfying as it can be, without having to worry about setting up a sequel (although by the same token he leaves the door well open).

The whole approach of making a film with the intent of having it lead into another is pretty repugnant. Empire arguably does it, but then it's chock full of development - every character is in a completely and utterly different place to where they started the film. Contrast that with junk like The Matrix Reloaded and Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest. The way the characters "evolve" in those films, and indeed Iron Man 2 is what you'd typically call a "tweak" or an "adjustment". Not a development.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't expect Avengers to have the radical amounts of character development that TDKR will, no. But they're a different beast. I don't think there's anything wrong with viewing the development over the course of multiple films/crossovers. It's essentially a theatrical serial or something closer to a megabudget TV series in structure, so not everything has to be contained within a single entry.

It may seem like things are stretched out when compared to the very dense and packed nature of the Nolan trilogy, but it's never intended to be densely packed. They're lighter fare, but with something at their core. IM2 didn't do that as well as IM1 or Thor, but I think it was on par with CA and TIH.

The former doesn't factor in because that's still building Iron Man/Stark up to where he reaches the belief that he can do it all on his own (or, at the very least, is at the plateau). And the latter is the "make God bleed" catalyst that piles up the "sharks" that overwhelms Stark to bring him towards the "you need help" conclusion.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked up the BD today. Skimmed the extras so far.

The One-Shot is ok, and is pretty much what you'd figure from the glimpses we've seen: Coulson stops for gas on the way to the hammer, which happens to be o the other films (other than the relkevawhen two guys try to rob the store, Coulson stops them, the end. No real other relevance to the other films (other than the revelation that Coulson apparently likes to listen to swing music ;)).

Deleted scenes aren't as plentiful as Thor's (just 4, I think),but there's a couple good bits.

-First one is an extended intro to the Norway scene showing off the Hydra tank earlier (so, not big loss).

-Second one is cooler, showing Bucky and the Commandos in battle against the Nazis, until the Nazi's get zapped by a Hydra tank. The commandos then wonder what happened, and the tank then appears to them and fires, presumably leading to their capture.

(I actually wish this one was still in the film- besides giving us some non-Hydra war action against actual Nazis, it has the added benefit of introducing some of the Commandos earlier, including Dum Dum).

-Third is an extended scene in the London planning bunker (after Steve plots the locations of the Hydra bases he saw on the map), which has two key additions with Tommy lee Jones commenting on Steve deserving a medal for dissapointing a Senator and various other politicians, as well as Stark commenting on how the small Hydra ammo clip "supposedly" is the most powerful explosive known to man, according to Steve. Steve questions the "supposedly", to whcih Stark comments something along the lines of "Well, either your wrong or (the scientists name) has found a way to rewrite the laws of physics.".

(an ok extension, but I can live without it)

-Fourth is an extended version of the Fury/Cap Times Square scene, with Fury answering a few questions ("The war, did we win?" "Hell yes- unconditional surrender.") and including some more "world still needs people like you" type comments to set up Avengers.

(some interesting stuff, but the shortened theatrical cut does focus more of Steve's emotional story).

The Avengers featurette doesn't have much- basically a neat montage of Avengers-related scenes from the various movies, with a few shots from the post-credits Avengers teaser and a shot of Joss on set.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "The war, did we win?" "Hell yes- unconditional surrender." That's such a Sam Jackson line.[face_laugh]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I know, kinda wish that one stayed in. :D

14. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    You often hear about how Spider-Man 3 is so silly, which in the beginning surprised me because... aren't they all silly? If anything, it was just following precedent. In Spider-Man 1 the Green Goblin has a bomb that turns people into crumbling skeletons. Is this Indiana Jones? I'll admit that the dance sequence pushes it. But that's about it. I think the problem with Spider-Man 3 is rather that the plot is too crowded. Or to put it in a different way: too many plot threads to handle in too short time. There's a limit to how much you can stuff into 1,5 hours and still manage to make it fulfilling.

The Spider-Man trilogy never had a serious tone to begin with, and I'll admit I didn't really like the first one much when it came out in theaters. I still vastly prefer Spider-Man 2 to the first film and it's my favorite of the three. I remember thinking when Spider-Man came out that the first X-Men, that came out 2 years prior, was translated to the big screen much better. So I think those who criticize Spider-Man 3 for its camp are doing it unfairly, because they've all been campy, and to remind us of that and, incidentally, also the reason I'm bringing this up, here is Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Dumbest Spider-Man Moments.

Some of his complaints I do disagree with, though. Like how he complains about the existence of minor characters like the landlord and his daughter, Jameson's secretary and Octavius' wife. But overall, I think he brings up some good points.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Joss interview on Avengers

Also, new character banner poster images:

[image=http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/80/4ec56ba58a375.jpg] [image=http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/b0/4ec56bf7b4248.jpg]

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fox Has Shot "Deadpool" Test Footage?

Comic writers Rob Liefeld and Scott Lobdell showed up at the Arizona Comic Con last weekend and according to Bleeding Cool they dropped a surprising bit of news about Fox's proposed R-rated X-Men spinoff comic book adaptation "Deadpool".

?They?ve got a great director on the movie, they?ve got a great script. I may or may have not seen some sort of test of footage that would blow your mind if you saw it and go holy crap and that?s Deadpool in costume. Katana swords, guns, shooting people?s faces off and making me laugh" says Liefield about the project which still has Ryan Reynolds attached to reprise the role and Tim Miller slated to direct.

Liefield goes on to say "I may or may not have seen something that looks just like that. And you?ve got what would amount to the first R-rated X-Men movie. Because that script is R-rated? They may or may not have wanted to shoot eight minutes to see how it would play. And all I can tell you, it?s close. It?s closer that it?s even been to going, or going Naaah, that?s too scary a proposition to make an R-rated Deadpool movie."

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's being reported that Matthew Vaughn is confirmed for the First Class sequel, with Singer producing and Simon Kinberg scripting.

Also...

Avengers 3D Glasses and Poster

[image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/5305/original/429705_235172509897363_100002138472207_506792_2113437380_n.jpg]

[image=http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/5306/original/The-Avengers-3D-Poster.gif]

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm happy for Vaughn to do the sequel, since I'd love to see what he could do with, y'know, more than just a year's turnaround from being signed to the premiere.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Avengers Extended Superbowl Spot

Awesome! That group shot is absolutely perfect.

"I have an army."
    "We have a Hulk."

Don't recognize the baddies, though- they could be Skrulls, I suppose, but with a movie redesign on their armor it'd be hard to tell from that angle.

Like the small touches- like Cap's reaction to meeting Stark.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    :eek:

That's incredible! The finished film cannot possibly be as awesome as that trailer. I think I'll just watch that 120 times in a row instead of seeing the movie and risk being let down. ;)

BTW, just finished watching Captain A for the third time (this time with my wife: she loved it too!) and it occurred to me that Agent Carter might very well be Tony Stark's mother.

That would create some really interesting character dynamics between IM and Cap.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't they name Tony's mother during the film reels in IM2?

Even if not, I think the timeline might be pushing it to try that idea. Downey is 45, if we assume Stark is around the same age, give or take, he'd have been born in the early-to-mid 60's, almost 20 years after the events seen in Captain America. Carter's actress was in her late 20's, which would mean Tony would have had to have been born when Carter was in her mid 40's at a minimum.

Not impossible, but not very likely.

I think it's more likely that the Peggy/Widow look-alike at the end of Cap might be Sharon Carter, though- and maintain that granddaughter/relative angle from the comics.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah, you're right about the timeline not working out. Carter would have been menopausal by the time Stark has to have been conceived. I'm still operating on an 80s mentality because, ya know, I'm old. :p

24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Impressive glimpses of some showmanship that the earlier glimpses lacked. And, to be brutally honest, Whedon's previous film. That's good, though. They're combining the best of these Marvel films. The charismatic leads (Downey, Hemsworth, and Evans - don't know about Ruffalo but he's pretty much always excellent in everything), the best of these Marvel villains, and Johansson in a form-fitting outfit.

And hopefully there's a minimum of Clark Gregg trying to be funny.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll be dissapointed if there isn't more Coulson beyond his line in the trailer- this is supposed to be a pretty big film for SHIELD so I'd expect Fury, Coulson and Hill to have a decent amount of screentime.

Plus, c'mon, Coulson is great :).