main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your collection.....opened or sealed?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by ClassicIron, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediCouncilBoy

JediCouncilBoy Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    Everything is open. I have a few that I bought doubles of still in pakages. Like Nute Gunray from EP. 1...Yoda from EPidoe 2, and Obi Wan from Episode 1.

2. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Everything of mine is open besides 4 figures. (Jorg Sacul,AOTC Dooku,C3 Vader,and VOTC Obi-Wan). I only leave those in package because I already have 1 of each opened,and because 2 of them are celebration exclusives. :)

3. Lord-Wiz

Lord-Wiz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    i usually buy two of everything in order to open one. most of my collection is POTF2 though so i only have one of each and they are all sealed (this was before collecting took over my life LOL). ROTS figures are easier to find at the moment so i get two of each of the `necessary` figures (clones and droids mainly). but sometimes i cant bring myself to open any of them! both my toysrus holo yodas remain imprisoned in their plastic prisons!

4. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Majority of my collection is sealed I ripped open my unleashed figures my galactic heroes grievous/obi wan and also have got one of my sneak preview grievous facing my obi wan clone wars figure which are on my shelve also

5. Felton

Felton Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    My OT sutff is open since I was a kid I wanted to play with them. I still have the boxes for the AT-AT, snowspeeder, droid factory, and an unopened mini snow battle playset.

The newer stuff is mixed. Usually I get two of everything I want to open.

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Both for me. All my 3.75 figures are sealed. But if I would like to open on I buy a second. All my unleashed are opened. Some of my ships and play sets are opened and some are still in the box.

7. DarthKraven

DarthKraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2003
    yeah i fought with this, at my walmart they have unleashed anakin and obiwan, they look so amazing when connected but when i buy them i dont wanna take them out incase i ever need to sell them because there kinna rare, i heard?>

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep, you'll be able to retire off that Unleashed Anakin and Obi. Better start looking for a job to quit now.

Edit: Since sarcasim is sometimes lost on the boards let me clarify.

They are mass produced peices of plastic that everyone and their mom buys two of now. This isn't the vintage lines we are talking about where kids *gasp* played with their toys this is the "everything is a collectable" age where people are convinced that if they hold on to something long enough its going to become priceless. If you are collecting action figures for investment reasons I strongly suggest you find a financial planner so he can laugh at you then help you put your money in a nice 401k.

9. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    [face_laugh]

But I've already opened mine! :_|

10. DarthKraven

DarthKraven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2003
    i dont wanna sell them lol, but you know how somtimes you have to get rid of stuff

11. Drador

Drador Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2004
    "Yep, you'll be able to retire off that Unleashed Anakin and Obi. Better start looking for a job to quit now."

hahahhahaha

sorry i had to laugh at that, but its the truth, dont collect anything because you think its going to be worth something someday, thats just lame. collect it because you enjoy collecting it

and my collection is 95% in their packages. i feel the boxes are part of the collection and they are awesome to look at as well! i do have some of mine out though but i usually try to buy a 2nd to remove those. all my vehicles come out they are too big to display in their boxes so the ships i hang over my desk with fishing wire

12. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Yep, it seems nowadays Hasbro etc. make toys for the collectors out there. Not so much for the kids anymore. Too bad, don't you think?

13. ClassicIron

ClassicIron Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Well as far as Hasbro making toys for the collectors and not the kids anymore, i do feel kind of bad.

What if some 7 y/o kid is in the toystore with his mother and decided he would like a Darth Vader figure (for example) and the Vader figure in whatever line of figs thats out is rare to find because collectors everyone discovered a glitch with it that makes it valueble, then the kid goes without. Its kind of sad. But me being a collector i'm glad Hasbro does what it does, but at the same time kids sould be taken care of with their toys too.

Sure the kids have the Galactic Heroes line, but collectors have been snatching those up to ( i know i have) and they are becoming more and more difficult to find on store shelves.

14. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I had tons, but sold most of them. Now I am into prop collecting.

I kept:

All Vader's so far MOC (including the vintage ones! )
    The Dark Trooper MOC - I love this one
    Thrawn MOC
    Motti - MOC
    Tarkin - MOC
    Piet - MOC
    and some Stormtrooper variants (new line) MOC

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The only figure that I haven't opened is the C3 Vader, but in that case I feel that the package is very much a part of the whole figure.

16. Wolf3118

Wolf3118 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Most of mine are packaged. But there's still the crate sitting in my closet full of Classic Trilogy basics.

17. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Most of mine are sealed, however I do open the Unleashed figures and some of the vehicles and such.

18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Even though I tend to keep mine items sealed now, I have no intention of selling them.

Alot of stuff actaully looks good in the packaging. I think they stay in one piece better in the packaging, they are easier to display, and there is less of a chance of loosing small pieces like lightsabers and rifles and such.

I would love to rip some of these Unleashed figs out of the cardboard though, but they look great handing on the wall the way they are.

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    ^^

You can't argue with that. I've opened all my figures before this line and I've got to say with the ROTS figures the package is half the fun. The OTC line was the same way. Take it out of the package and you lose your "mini diorama"

Vader figure in whatever line of figs thats out is rare to find because collectors everyone discovered a glitch with it that makes it valueble, then the kid goes without.

Well thats kinda my point though. Its not going to be valuable because the collectors are buying it up thinking it will be. So in the end the kid goes without for nothing.

20. Odowan

Odowan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2004
    All of mine are open, and displayed. I have no intention of ever selling my collection. I collect becuase it is something I love, and will probably keep them until the day I die. Therefore, I really don't see the point of keeping them in the box. I enjoy taking out, and playing with my figures. Not just staring at them.

21. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    (First time poster LONG TIME watcher since 01!)
    Hmmm....Although I've LOVED Star wars since I was able to talk. I just recently was able to afford collecting the Star Wars figures ..... Why wouldn't anyone take them out? I think in the back of my head: What if this is REALLY rare and I don't know?!(I still keep the packaging!) By then I've taken everything out of the plastic and I remember that if I saw that it was rare and expensive I'd feel bad that I didnt have it anyway. Heh heh

Besides, I love action figures. I stage little scenes with them on various shelves and I change them around so when my guests come over they can enjoy them. I think only once someone has been horrified at my removing from the packaging habit. So now evey time I take one out I chuckle remembering how horrified they were. No art here just really cool action figures...

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Good answer.

Rest assured that you can open your figures with little concern about losing out on future return.

Toys are toys.

There is actualy an excelent episode of Tom Goes to the Mayor on that kind of deals with the collectable craze.

23. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I happen to leave them packaged but thats just because I like the look of all the troopers on all the different designed cards. Not because it will be valueable, cause it won't. ;)

I have opened all the Burger King toys because those are fun to look at and you can't see them in the bags, nor really display them in bags either. 3.75 inch figures can be hung on pins and "wallpapered".

But like everyone has said, just buy what you like. I like the design for all the troopers (fav's are Biker and AOTC Clone) so they're what I buy now.

I opened all the toys as a kid- when I used to play with them. Now I just buy what I like the look of and display them how I like to look at them.

If I were to get the Unleashed line, I would definatley take them out and put them together. They're too heavy to keep on pegs forever and they don't look as great packaged.

So I think it depends on the item.

24. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'd say that probably 1/3-1/4 of my collection is out of the package. If you count books, comic books, games, and a few other misc items, then probably closer to 1/2 of my stuff is used. Generally, I only open figures if I really like how they were designed and the overall look to them makes them great stand-alone things to put on desks, tvs, and so forth. Of course, I normally will buy two of those, one to open and one to keep in the package. :p

25. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Nearly all of my collection is opened. My Ephant mon fig is sealed, and im gonna get 2 500th vaders so i can keep one boxed. I like posing my figures and things on shelves, its what most star wars things are made for, being opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.