main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    K, thanks.[face_peace]

2. Ti-el_Terall

Ti-el_Terall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    Good job on those sabers. What are you using for the grips on the DarthVader?

3. RYAN-J

RYAN-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2006
    my dad does magnet imprinting, and he let's me have the scap pieces of black magnet. all I have to do is cut them to size. That's what I use for all my grips. works really good since the magnet sticks to the metal pipe.

RYAN J.

4. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Can you put a blade on the Obi-Wan?

5. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    I like your sabers RYAN-J. That is howi prefer to build sabers. Just using scraps and everyday items.

6. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Magnets? :eek: You're probably too young to have credit cards, or I'd say be careful of those sabers around your wallet, or you might de-magnitize your cards. Or anything else with a magstripe in them.

You might want to think about that though. For the future, or if you are making sabers for other people.

Hopefully, your dad will have already warned you about things like that.
    [face_thinking]

7. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I would like to get some strong magnets and some how attach them to a glove and some to me belt-loop area for the hilt-attach thing and I can put my glove next to my saber and it can be like I'm using the Force to grab my saber. Kinda like what Yoda does. And that makes me wonder whaere he keeps his saber. He doesn't have a belt.[face_thinking]

8. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    That would be dumb^ That would have to be powerful magnet. And if you walked around with a magnet that powerful in your glove... That would be a weird experience... "Help! I'm stuck to the door knob!"

9. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Lol, but it would be funny even though the magnets wouldn't attract to a door knob because door knobs are made out of man-made metal and magnets don't attract to that.

10. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Magnets attract to "ferrous" material. Anything that has iron in it. Like iron (obviously) or steel, for example. Not plastic (of course), brass or aluminum.

Darthnave, you already brought up the powerful magnet "Force" effect, or someone did, months ago, and were told how impractical it would be, because you would need and electro magnet for something like that.
    8-}

11. RYAN-J

Mar 28, 2006
    Nope. There's a screw on the top holding the emitter head together.

12. RYAN-J

Mar 28, 2006
    Oh Yeah! I will remember that. thanks!

RYAN J.

P.S. I don't have any credit cards yet. CC's are a NASTY HABIT if your the MEGA spending type.

13. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, you don't need to tell me! I am in major Credit Card debt.[face_blush] It can get out of hand very fast, especially when you are out of work and need them to live on. But I digress...

14. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    I'm looking for some suggestions for grips on my saber I've been working on...
    [image=http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/DonSolo/th_SLDPRT1.png]
    (Click for more pics - I've got it built for the most part and also drawn/rendered on my computer. )

Any ideas on what would look good for this?

15. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    You do realize that I probably wasn't here right?

16. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    I like fun foam but people seem to think it's too thick to use. Nice and squishy and good to grip. Perhaps a whole slew of O-Rings would be nice.

17. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    I too like the craft foams. Let it sit overnight and that stuff is actually a pain to get off. If you want thinner how about grip tape like they put on skateboards... or I've heard gaffer tape, but I'm not exactly sure what that's like for grip.

18. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    You could have run across it, since it sounds like it wasn't you, then. Maybe it was FettMan. I'm sure it was one of you newer young guys who brought up the magnetic "Force" trick in another thread.

19. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    Foam tape!!And if you think the craft foam is too thick, wrapp it in electrical tape. That will compress it down thinner, but preserving its foamyness, and giving it a rubber feel. So it's like a cross between foam and rubber. I also used medical tape once.With foam tape, you can cut out any shape or design and it stick so well that it is hard to get off.

20. Maraudier

Maraudier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2006
    First off: Wow, very impressive craftmanship everyone!
    Im new to saber-crafting and tried to read as much of this thread as possible. 75 pages is a little much I think I got about a quarter of it or so. I saw mostly alumium and steel pipes for the base of the hilt and then other parts with those like PVC, magnets, rubers, and plastics. So im basically applauding everybodies work they have done, im very impressed and hope that mine turn out equally astonishing.

21. the_steve

Dec 23, 2005
    Thanks for the broad range of compliments Maraudier. Do you have a plan in mind for your sabers? For just starting out, maybe you should try PVC with good plastic paint or aluminum tape. That's how i started out. PVC is easy to work with and has a broad range of fitting. Just check out the Lowes or Home depot plumbing sections. It can really get the creative juices flowing. Good luck.

22. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Actually, a lot of what you see are sink pipes made of chrome plated brass.

At least from a couple years ago, when this thread was first started.

Aluminum and steel are more recently being used.

23. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I used nickel because it's shiny.

24. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Yeah, chromed brass is most common. Both the main body of my lightsabres and the pommel/end cap are chromed brass. It's heavy stuff. I would have jumped at the opportunity to go 100% aluminum. And if the tubes sounded nice when struck they would have wound up in my husband Richie's musical "toybox." He's a percussionist and anything metal gets tested for sound quality. As it was they were acoustically dead, so they were fair game. However brass is one of those metals that has a musical quality to it.

25. Maraudier

Maraudier Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2006
    I took a look at what Lowes had but nothing made me happy. I would do PVC but the look that I want will require at least tinfoil :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.