main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Take on the Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by Jirin_Raman, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I know that the EU is often a topic of debate between fans who believe in strictly "canonical" Star Wars ONLY. However, there are those of us in the fanbase who feel that the Expanded Universe is a nice way to get information that is not covered in the movies. I'm wondering:

HOW DO ALL OF YOU FEEL ABOUT THE EU?

I personally love the Tales of the Jedi series. Before The Phantom Menace, it was great to read about the glory days of the Sith vs Jedi battles, where mighty Sith plotted not only behind the scenes, but directly campaigned against the Jedi. Exar Kun is one of my favorite characters in all of the Star Wars universe. He is a great character, one who's story almost parallels that of Darth Vader/Anakin's. I also find reading the Visual Dictionaries informative, as they are able to give me technical data on items and characters that were not covered in-depth in the films. I do not feel that not being stated in the film makes them "non-canonical".

2. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    Well Jirin, you and I have had many convos about this very subject, so I assume what I post wont be news to you. For the others though, a take my be necessary. I feel that ANYTHING that roles across George's desk and he gives it the big stamp of approval, it is " official lore" in my book. I am also a huge Tales of The Jedi fan! ( KOTOR will rule!) I would also like to see some films from that era. As a side note, I dont like to use the word "canon" to describe something that is fiction. Especially since the damn word sparks a debate on any freakin thread on this forum.

3. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    I hate the word "canon" as well. I believe the Games board mod's sig says it best:

"The Star Wars Canon Debate--You do realize you're arguing that one
    set of FICTION is more "real" or less "real" than another set of FICTION"

4. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    im not too big a fan of the EU. i just cant get into it... though i have read shadows of the empire, and those han solo books, thats about it... i guess i just dont have the time or effort to put into the EU. i have played all the games, like dark forces etc... i guess that sorta counts as EU.

5. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    ive read some of the EU books. i liked them!

6. Sparticus

Sparticus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    I've read all of the NewRep Era, some of the NJO - which I don't particularly care for (NOOOOOOO!!! Not CHEWIE!!!) And nothing really before TPM. Frankly, they just don't seem as exciding without a Drew Struzan cover. *shrugs* Comics are kinda hard to come by, for me. Timothy Zhan ROCKS!!!

7. Jirin_Raman

Apr 6, 2002
    Sparticus, you can find many of the Tales of the Jedi issues compiled in TPBs at Barnes & Noble, Borders, or on Amazon.com. I'd highly recommend them!

8. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Yeah, I saw them when I was at Barns&Noble the other day, super cool!

Shoot! There's that stupid time limit thing again - I cant help it if I'm a fast typer!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! *runs off*

9. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I'm a big fan of the Expanded Universe. I've loved it since Timothy Zahn first wrote "Heir to the Empire" back in 1991. Since that time I have read all of the books, and quite a few of the comic book series. My favorites comic series have been Dark Empire I & II, and Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand and Union (obviously I'm a big Mara Jade Fan) ;) I am also a big collector, mostly of vintage items, but I also collect a lot of the newer stuff that I like. I think that people who don't give the EU a chance are missing out on a lot. Star Wars is more than 6 movies, there is a whole Universe out there to explore. For those who want to give the Expanded Universe a chance. I suggest you start with the Timothy Zahn Trilogy of books, "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising", and "The Last Command." After that I guarantee you will be hooked like me!

10. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    MJF, thanks for joining us on the good ol' Fresno boards!!

11. Thaddeus_Walters

Thaddeus_Walters Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    The Expanded Universe is wonderful! Almost as good as the movies!

12. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I like a lot of it.
    But I in no way consider it canon. Prime example is Zhan's clone war years. Now people go 'Well, see, that was Noghri years so you se? EU triumphs again rah rah rah!!!'
    Yeah. . . riiiight. I'm sure that's exactly what Zhan was thinking and why he forgot to add such an important detail and why everybody in the galaxy went with Noghri years for that period of time.
    In the end, that's really the only thing that bugs me about EU. Instead of just stating 'oops, we made a booboo. Well, we had fun :) ' they go through the most fricken convoluted measures to cover it up and convulse the story more.
    Like the whole Anakin chosen one thing and him killing Palpatine which brought balancxe to the Force in the movies.
    Very powerful. Very mythical (one of the few mythical things I think Lucas actually intended). But in the EU Palps comes back, and then it becomes 'welllllll Vader technicaly killed Palpatine in a way that set the start of the fall of the Empire and would eventually lead the rebels blah blah blah.'
    Yeah. . . 'Well when Jesus died on the cross it eventually lead Paul to blah blah blah.'
    In my eyes i's like a person getting caught with a lie and then convoluting the story to make it work. 'Well that all depends on your definition of sex. . .'
    And people claim there are no contradictions. Ever. I was PMing one person and I told him to state the EU had contradictions just for the heluvit and he couldn't. Noghri years? Rule of two? Just because you fix up a hole in the wall, doesn't mean you never made one. Especially if you did a piss poor job of covering it up :p
    So no. I simply don't think Lucas reads each story as it passes his desk (especially if he's working on a movie) reads through it carefully and lovingly, seals it with a kiss, and send it away on eagle wings. I think at this point he doesn't give a farting jawa's butt what goes on in the books.
    But continuity aside, I don't mind them. A lot of them were really fun :) Wraith Squadron was a kick, I liked the Zahn Trilogy much, Shadows ofi the Empire was a fun read, AC Crispin's Solo Trilogy was really nice, the NJO has its moments (even though I think they concentrate to much on the Solo kids, but if they're going to do with Vergere what I think they're doing, fixing up the wholes in the new Jedi order what with love and stuff, then it's great :) )
    I really like a lot of the characters (except when they turn a favorite into some sort of superman ala Corran Horm or the Solo kids). Mara Jade is wonderful with a great story arc when in the right hands, Xizor was a blast, Thrawn was a worthy SW villain, the Vohng are fascinating (even though I think they're too human what with their political maneuverings etc), and the Solo kids in moderation are nice.
    So yes, I like the EU much. But I can't understand why someone would rather die than think 'hmmmmmmm maybe Lucas isn't ghost writing these things?'

13. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Yeah, the plot holes are there but I don't mind em either, it's not like Lucas was a creative consultant - he didn't TELL anybody about pre origonal trilogy stuff. BTW I read Mara Jade by the Emporers Hand - IT ROCKED!!! VEEEERY cool!!!

Yeah, the Vong thing, intruiging villans, but I wouldn't have introduced them when they did I would have skipped ahead a couple hundred years and then added them, so that it looks more like Luke and them actualy accomplished something by defeating the empire. *shrugs* Oh well, still pondering the fan fiction to end the NJO era (mwa ha ha) It will undoubtably involve a Terry Pratchett-esque critter I came up with the other day. Hi Chester!!! You cute wittle cosmic sand clam eating machine thingie!!! YES Devouer them!!! Eat them alll!!! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

14. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Oh yeah! That's the only other thing that bugs me about the Vohng.
    In the movies, the Sith are the ultimate villains for the galaxy. Heck, two of them conquered the bloody thing. Two.
    But then the Vohng come and it's like 'yeah well, Sith are kinda cool 'n' stuff. Dark Jedi are betttttterrr! But anyway. Wait till you see the Vohng! Yup! Way better than Lucas' dinky Sith.'
    It's like the EU is constantly trying to undermine Lucas' work.
    You thought the Death Star was the end all be all? Well lookey at the Sun Crusher! Dun dun dun!
    Anakin? Peh. Here's the Solo kids and Kyp! Hell toss in Corran Horn! Viola! Wonder Jedi! A new chosen one every week!
    Sith? Bah! Playground bullies! May we present, the Yuzzahn Vohng!
    You can keep the story interesting and going without trying to surpass the movies. look at Thrawn and the Rougue/Wraith Squadron books. New threats. But they're not better than the Sith.
    I'd like to read and AU where Maul or Vader, or Dooku come back and just mop up the freakin' floor with the new Jedi.
    Or have Yoda or Mace take them to school!
    I'd love to see Luke's mouth drop seeing young Obi-Wan fight ;)
    What would Lukey think of Anakin?
    That's what I think Verger is ultimately going to be used for. To bridge the gap betwen Clone Wars era and Vohng era. Fix continuity in a nice, clean way, and fill folks in on the old.
    Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to Tatooine ghost!
    I hope somewhere down the line Luke hears about Shmi and Padme and Watto and everything. . . He deserves to I think.
    See, that's what the EU could be used for :)
    Instead we get Admiral Daala :p

15. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Daala *rolls eyes* Whatever!! Good thing Paeleon kicked her but!! Ah, Thrawn now THERE's a bad guy!!! And what about the Unknown Regions... wait, never mind, that's my home turf - yes, leave the Unknown Regions to me and the gnomes. Mwa ha ha!!! Eh, fan fiction I did, very cool, working on a prequel ;)

16. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    BAH! The only thing in the Unknown Regions is giant green rabbits. And lot's of 'em!

17. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    EU, I've read a few, but they don't really spark my intrest. On the other hand, little green bunnies sound intresting.

18. Sparticus

May 1, 2002
    Little green bunnies chasing gnomes around a fire hydrandt.... yeah....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.