main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yourself as a PC

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Reinn, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reinn

Reinn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Has anyone actually tried making themselves as a PC...and then really roleplaying themselves as such?

I'm thinking about making a campaign for myself and my girlfriend where we play ourselves in a Star Wars setting. Granted, being a PC and a GM at the same time isn't easy, but I think it could really help me by figuring out where my problems as a person lie and by defeating them in a larger than life setting, perhaps I can defeat them in the real world.

Actually that leads to another question...has roleplaying and in particular Star Wars roleplaying helped you as a person? The possibility is there, I'm just wondering how or if it's happened.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think my stats are in some thread around here.

And yeah, roleplaying games helped me become the open person I'm now. And girls dig the "wanna see my THAC0, babe?" line.

3. crushthedemoniac

crushthedemoniac Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    I wouldn't say it helped me as a person, but I can understand how it might have helped people be more open and not scared to let their imagination run wild?

I started playing the Star Wars RPG (D6) when I was like... 9 I think because my brother introduced me to it. My first character was called Lucas Pertec, which is ofcourse made up of GL's last name and the PER and TEC attributes.
    This was my introduction to roleplaying and although I played lots of other RPGs (mostly with my brother) such as Warhammer (which I still think is way cooler than AD&D, if only because the combat and wounds system is much more realistic), AD&D (mostly Forgotten Realsm), DC Heroes (creating your own superhero has always had something cool about it) and Call of Cthulhu... Star Wars has always been my favorite RPG (with Call of Cthulhu as a good second).
    The reason why it's always been my favorite is mostly because it's Star Wars! I mean, it's a whole universe that I grew up with. But apart from that I just really liked the rules, because they were simple but sufficient... And when I'm playing a RPG I don't want to end up discussing all the rules all the time, I just want to have fun.

It always took us ages to finish a campaign because we were always goofing around and making stupid jokes all the time but we didn't mind because we were having so much fun. I've never been much of a powerplayer, I never really cared if my characters got lots of XPs so I could pump them up... Combat was always the most boring part to me, I enjoyed the roleplaying a LOT more than fighting... Which is probably also why live roleplaying never really appealed to me - it was just mostly about fighting.

Anyway, the funny thing was, we used to play with this one group and I was always making fun of this other guy ALL the time (hey, he liked playing elves, he deserved it) but the funny thing was... in the end I was the only one that ever really listened to what he said haha... He'd be telling about his birthday party and he said 'yeah and we decided to have it at this and that place' and the rest would say 'we?' and I'd say 'yeah, him and his sister, that's what he told us two weeks ago, don't you idiots ever listen?'.

I think I've strayed a bit from the topic haha...

My characters were usually in a way a bit like me... loud-mouths that got into trouble all the time.

This one time, however, I played a bored noble or something like that and one of the other players gave me **** because he thought that I didn't play right because I didn't try to do anything when we got into trouble... to which the GM pointed out that I was actually playing my part perfectly because my character simply didn't care.
    Then the other player got frustrated and complained that all we did was get ourselves into trouble and we got from one bad situation into another, to which somebody else said 'dude... have you ever actually SEEN Star Wars?'. Good times. Guess you had to be there though.

Sorry for my off-topicness, I just miss playing RPGs because I'm too busy with other stuff now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.