main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What's a bunshin?

Other than clarification on the "why does dead OOT Link result in something different" issue and the repeated "Ganon is revived" line (why does Ganon need to be revived in ALTTP if he wasn't killed/defeated by Link in OOT? I think they're taking some of Ganon's defeats a bit too literally)... it does solve some of the more difficult timeline issues, although it does sacrifice some of the other possible connections between games (TWW resulting in LOZ, new continent potentially being eastern Hyrule, etc).

Although, glancing at it one more time, the tragedy of Princess Zelda I seems an odd placement- especially if there were at least 3 Princess Zeldas before then.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I just love that they FINALLY revealed some sort of order among what appeared to be chaos. I just hope people online stop fighting about the split timeline and accept it.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still think a single timeline could be forged, or, at the very least, a 2-branch split. However, I accept that this may be official ;).

What I'm curious about now is when did they decide on the triple split? It had to be Wind Waker or TP, which is interesting because that means they were confirming the concept of multiple Links in multiple ways that we weren't aware of at the time.

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Bunshin is a shadow clone, a good in game example is the purple ghost fight in the Forest Temple.

Here is a comparison of the Japanese and US manual of aLttP.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's an interesting read, I'll have to take a closer look at it.

Also, we have a cleaner update to the timeline that pretty much matches the basic one posted above:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/12/29631a766f1537530abc0ec5e6d15515.jpg]

So we have The Hero of Time, The Last Hero, The Hero of Wind & The Hero's Descendants it seems. I rather like "The Last Hero" as a title for the Zelda 1-4 timeline Links.

And Aonuma was apparently supervising editor on the book, which confirms this timeline as official.

Got my second sessions of Skyward Sword in finally and took care of the Kiwiki search and have begun the first dungeon. Not sure if it was just my angle (in the game or in real life_ but I had a heck of a time getting the double eyeball guardian thing to work on that chest with the first key. Recalibrated my wiimote twice and finally got it, but needed a very precise point otherwise i tendd to lose the left side of the roll.

It's definitely more challenging than Twilight Princess so far- I think I died thrice as many times facing the first Skulltula than I did in the entirety of TP (mostly because I had incorrectly assumed it was a shield bash type of situation like that infinite bash training log in the academy, instead of a slash-horizontally-then-stab scenario).

One rather neat moment happened when I tried to get past that Skulltula and the sucker took my last heart while kocking me forward, leaving the camera at a dramatic angle to capture Link laying on his stomach, reaching for the stone tablet sign in front of him before finally succumbing to the embrace of death. Probably the most dramatic visual for a mundane situation that I've ever encountered in this series, ha.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    At least there's one good thing coming out of the new "Triple Timeline" situation -- we have no longer have Hyrule Castle Town strangely increasing in size from Ocarina to Twilight Princess, followed by vanishing entirely in A Link to the Past. It all now makes total sense.

"Hyrule's Decline," indeed.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like how all of my favorite titles take place in a non-canonical alternate universe future past that never came to be. Very comic book. Presumably we can eventually look forward to The Legend of Zelda III: EVERYBODY DIES.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/3/33/Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_142.jpg]

:p

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is kinda odd that the original 4 games of the series are technically a "What If?" timeline.

Although Ganon's execution makes it somewhat hazy (he's obviously not in the Dark World, so it could be after he's resurrected, if we follow a single timeline progression)), I was of the opinion that TP would have had to have been after ALTTP (since both TP and ALTTP have "Castle II", one could infer we were seeing it's expansion from castle/no-town to castle-w/town).

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    This has been bothering me, too, ever since this information became public. When you think about it, given the reboot-crazy world that we now live in, it suddenly gives Aonuma and Nintendo the perfect "out" for never having to acknowledge the "old" NES and SNES games again in continuity, and instead lets them move forward into a "new" future, one set after Twilight Princess, and one that isn't necessarily obligated to bridge events forward to the original Link and Zelda.

Much as Ganon was imprisoned away, it now seems that the "first" timeline has likewise been sealed, encysted away in its own dimension, likely never to be revisited again. From strictly a corporate and audience-simplification standpoint, I can understand why they split it off (i.e., "Who even plays those old games anymore?"), but as an old-timer Nintendo fan, it kinda hurts to think that those storylines are now considered non-prime in the company's eyes.

True, it could be, although there was that official statement from Aonuma where he gave the dating of TP as being "just over a century," post-OoT -- if ALttP is factored into that equation, it muddies the water even more, re: the whole "Castle Town-size" scenario.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm having trouble following you guys on the castle/town/no town debate. Maybe you can go into more detail if you'd like.

It's funny but I didn't notice that all the older games (NES, Gameboy, SNES) are on the "what if" timeline until Leto II pointed it out. Good eye!

Maybe I'm being foolishly optimistic, but my hope is that now that they timeline has been established, they can make a game that takes place 2 years or 2000 years after Zelda 2. Or maybe create a new era after Spirit Tracks. I think the possibilities are endless. Let's just hope they do NOT make a game where the 16 year old Link from Zelda 2 finds a time gate that transports him to an era where there are abandoned train tracks because then I'd probably blow my brains out! :p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's my main hope at this point: with the timeline established, that maybe they're more willing to explore all three timeline branches with future titles, instead of making every game a spin-off/sequel/prequel of/to OOT.

At the very least, even if they want to stick to the other two branches for console releases, maybe make another 2D game set in that original branch to fit it's retro nature.

Regarding the castle discussion, we're referring to the size of Castle Town from it's non-existence in ALTTP to the large presence in TP. I also mention how the Hyrule Castle in ALTTP & TP is likely Hyrule Castle II, as they occupy the same geographic location in the center of Hyrule Field (the former site of Lon Lon Ranch in OOT), whereas the original Hyrule Castle and original Castle Town was in the northwest (with the Temple of Time's location in OOT also coinciding with the location of the Master Sword in ALTTP).

Of course, TP did some changes with that with Faron Woods and the Master Sword and Temple of Time, but it's possible it was moved (since the Lost Woods has existed in at least 3 other places prior to TP, it's not unreasonable to suggest it moved again and stuff like Skull Kid just followed) and the portal nature of the door to the ToT in TP could account for that as well.

They've been saying every game since TWW was "just over a century" after OOT (which, given this split timeline, is technically true ;)) but I think it's something that would have to be ignored if we were to look at a unified (or, at the very least, two-branch) timeline.

ALTTP has generations passing since the Imprisoning War (enough for the details to fall into myth and legend and the Golden Land to be somewhat forgotten), and if TP were to be after those events (and, presumably, OOA/OOS/LA since those are the same Link and we need enough time to pass for Ordon Link to emerge and grow up), the it's going to have to be a few decades between them.

Then again, the argument could be made for the reverse, so far as geography goes: that Kakariko II's expansion from what we see in TP leads to a decrease in Castle Town II. It's muddled at the very least.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So I'm not big on the wii but I got the new zelda. However i'm having trouble starting. First the sensor wasn't working so I changed the batteries, then I had to dig up the motionplus cover.

But the wii won't recognize when I connect the nunchuck to the motionplus. What's the problem?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't have the add-on (just the built-in gold one that came with SS) so I'm just taking a guess here, but is there some kind of sync functionality to the add-on? Or does the wiimote take care of that? Is your wiimote registering/synced?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished the first temple. That duel was tricky but in a good way- especially once you figure out how to time the block the dash attacks and slash the darts.

I really love how they replaced the Big Key with the carvings that you have to rotate to unlock the doors. Adds a nice puzzle element to one of the odder, longterm mainstays.

The beetle thing is cool too- of course once i got it i spent a long time trying to fly it through the passage of the flooded room, only to then realize it was big enough for Link to simply crawl through :p.

Also, fans have fixed the timeline:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2012/01/9c8169c469acbba6e23fdc9d17fa39f6.jpg]

[face_laugh]

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    No! No! No! It's all wrong! First of all, doesn't Wand of Gamelon happen AFTER Link: Faces of Evil? Secondly, where the hell is Zelda's Adventure?

:p

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's great, especially the Philips CDi slam.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Some further trabslations add some clarifying comments on the timeline, with "gameplay over story" comments that probbaly shouldn't be a surprise to anyone:

Chapter 2, "The Full History of Hyrule," arranges the series in chronological order so it's easier to understand, but from the very beginning, Zelda games have been developed with the top priority of focusing on the game mechanics rather than the story. For example, in Ocarina of Time, the first installment of the series I was involved in, the main theme was how to create a game with pleasant controls in a 3D world. Or in the DS game, Phantom Hourglass, the focus was having comfortable stylus controls. Finally, in the most recent game, Skyward Sword, we focused on an easy way to swing the sword using the Wii motion plus.

Thinking of that way of developing the games, it may be correct to say that the story is an appendix to that. I even think that setting Skyward Sword as the "first story," was merely a coincidence.

While reading over "The Full History of Hyrule," it's possible that some parts may look contradictory. For instance, the Mogma race or the beetle item that appear on the very first story do not appear on any other game that takes place in the future. I'd like to ask everyone just to enjoy the book and to be broad-minded, and to think that those parts are the way they are because of the way Zelda games are developed.

18. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I'm pretty bummed by that Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda game to lack an opening movie to lead in to its title screen. What's up with that? Those title screen movies are great mood builders. And not even a title theme! I can tolerate the lack of opening movie, but not even a title theme? I think all Zeldas have had title themes, if I'm not mistaken..? The title theme of Ocarina of Time as Link is riding across Hyrule Field was one of the best tracks of that game, IMO. And the clever foreshadowing that was The Wind Waker's title theme (basically Medli and Makar's songs strung together) was a nice touch. No such luck with Skyward Sword, apparently. :(

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the lack of a title theme is more than made up by the amount of simply gorgeous orchestral music in this game. Stuff like Fi's Theme and the Earth Temple music blow me away. Hell all of the temple music is great. Plus the music from the trailers, Romance and Ballad of the Goddess. So I'm not too bummed out by a lack of title theme, even if it would have added another cool element the previous games have had.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's safe to safe Ballad of the Goddess is essentially the title theme even if not present.

Perhaps the lack of an intro video is because of it's "first in timeline" placement?

21. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    Could you guys stop defending things I complain about? I'm pissed, damnit, and that's that! :p

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I never liked OOT's title theme. I don't think anyone else here will defend that notion, so you can be pissed at me for that. ;)

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Just started skyward sword. Either I suck at flying or the wii sucks at responding.

24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Fi must be the most annoying companion ever. Her nerd-speak totally ruins the atmosphere of the game. And worse, you can't skip through it. Wth!

So far, even though I'm still in Faron Forest, this is the worst Zelda game I've ever played.

25. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    That's the thing. The other's had to have grand impressive intro music and visuals because they were trying to be epic and psych you up while being top-down 2D games. This was the first 3D game, and open 3D worlds were not as common yet at the time. You may recall Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 was technically 3D, but had you running down linear canyon pathways to get to your goal. It was set up like a sidescroller, only you scrolled in and out instead of to the sides. Left and right was occupied by walls. Super Mario 64 had you starting outside the castle, in an environment that doesn't really serve much of a purpose. Inside the castle is the hub with the pictures, but not much going on outside. It was just there to wow you the first time you try it. Running around freely in all directions, trying the swimming mechanics in the pool, climbing trees, birds flying away as you approach them. Of course, it does have some degree of purpose later on, but arguably it was not necessary at all. Likewise, at the time, Ocarina of Time didn't NEED to have an epic opening. Being subtle and just showing Link riding across a vast (compared to those days) field already had people drooling. It was probably more effective at the time to just be low key, because when you display mundaneness it gives the impression of being deep and sets off people's imaginations. It makes the world seem inhabitable, it makes it come alive, which in turn makes you want to explore it.

The horse riding sequence is a tease to make you want to explore the game world. Nothing more. The Wind Waker does the exact same thing. It shows the little island Link lives on, which even in the intro video seems small, and then pans to Link looking imaginatively out on the ocean, and the camera then follows the direction of Link's stare and just goes out to the sea and stays there and the video ends. There's nothing spectacular there. Nothing epic. But it manages to tease you and now you too are wondering what's out there in the ocean. Majora's Mask's opening is also very low key, just touring you across the game world until the end that reveals the big moon looming above. Phantom Hourglass just shows him sailing for a minute, Spirit Tracks has him chu-chuing along with Zelda flying alongside, Twilight Princess just has him riding, albeit he seems to be in a hurry, across the field to become a wolf in the end. They're all like this. They're not supposed to be trailers. From The Wind Waker and onwards, the trailers have usually been included and are played after the opening anyway. The opening is not supposed to work in the same way. It's just supposed to tease the game world you're going to be playing in and have some calm or happy music playing with it.

Plus, as you progress further into the game, the opening retroactively starts to fit amazingly with Link's lot in life in OOT's case. He sleeps away 7 years of his life, and when he wakes up, his home village doesn't recognize him anymore because they don't grow up, which makes him realize he would always have been an outsider there anyway. His childhood friend Saria is gone, and all the acquaintances he's made or continues to make tend to die on him and become divine guardian spirits (They die to reawaken as Sages, right? Or am I assuming wrong here?). Even the owl doesn't come to him any more. Zelda is gone and nobody knows where until you meet Impa before going to the Shadow Temple, at which point you're thinking "Wait, what? I thought she was with you!", which makes her safety even more questionable. The only reason you know she's not dead yet is that the game is called Zelda. The only friends he has is an annoying fairy sidekick and a horse. The only occasional break to this solitary existence is when once in a w