main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discuss BP with Kathy -- Spoilers Welcome

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Shmi52, Oct 31, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Jedi Master

Mad Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2000
    Here's an incredibly nitpicky thing... I'm almost embarrassed to ask...

In VotF, Mara mentions she likes the grip on Luke's saber better than her own(Anakin's).

Luke says she can incorporate that design when she builds her own.

Did she ever build her own, or is she still using The Chosen One's blade?

2. FatJedi

FatJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2000
    Kathy

Great Book! I would also like to commend you on your committment to the GFFA. Your visits to this board and concern for the fans desires whow through in your excellent writing.

I realize you wanted us to read all the posts before asking a question, but GEESH! There are over 600 now! I read about the first 200....then just gave up! So, if my question has already been answered, can someone tell me where?

What were your reasons for not having Akbar, Wedge, Lando, and other "traditional" SW heroes in BP? I am an "old school" fan (I remember seeing ANH in theatres in 1977) and really prefer those traditional heroes....I realize that many fans, especially younger ones, want the newer, younger characters though.

My hope, if you will, is that in a future novel, Akbar, Wedge, Han, Leia, Luke and the "Old Schoolers" jump to the forefront, kick the whiny politicians out of office, and take the same attiitude they had during the Rebellion, and kick the YV out of the GFFA.

Can you give us any inkling of an idea as to whether something like this may be in the future for the NJO???? Probably not, but its worth a try.

Thanks

3. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Hey I hear what you're saying about the "old school". However, I don't see them kicking Borsk Fey'lya and his cronies out of office. I see the New Republic Senate ordering the Jedi to go to the Yuuzhan Vong. I see the Jedi terminating all allegiance to the New Republic leadership. Along with them is a major portion of the New Republic miltary, and accompanying them are all the surviving "old school" boys and girls. Frankly, I'm hoping that the Yuuzhan Vong kill Viqi Shesh, Borsk Fey'lya, and the rest of those self-centered, duplicitous senators.

4. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Hi Kathy!

I will add my voice to the amen chorus here and commend you on a fabulous book. I think all of the NJO books to date have been excellent, but I think BP will be a big fan favorite for a long time to come. All of the characters were written true-to-form. I was especially impressed with Leia, Mara, and the twins. My only quibble is that poor Han and Leia barely had any opportunity to make up for lost time (without her injured, that is), but that's just me.

My only question (and I'm sorry if someone has already asked), if you could name Luke and Mara's baby, what would it be?

5. FatJedi

FatJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2000
    I want to see Luke, Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Wedge in X-Wings, with Janson and the Rogues.....Akbar commanding from a Mon Cal Command ship.....Han piloting the Falcon with Lando and Leia on the guns....then after the "space war" has been won, phase 2 kicks in, where Luke and the Solo kids (maybe Corran, Kyp and a few other Jedi too) march into the thick of the YV and start whippin' some butt. I want to see Han and Lando on the ground fighting too.....maybe in a Commando crew with Leia, Wedge, and a few others going to avenge Chewie's death.

6. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Two years older? Interesting.

An older woman. Well, like father like son, I guess.

7. Katriel

Katriel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2000
    Okay, while we're at it.......

What ever happened to Winter? Did she and Ackbar go off together? That's what I seem to remember. I'm just finishing the Han Solo trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn) and I loved getting a glimpse of Winter that was other than the Solo kids nanny or Leia's handmaiden. If the other old-timers are going to be included in NJO, Winter should definitely be on that list too.

p.s. The name Akbar in Muslim means "By the hand of God". My friend is Muslim and named her son that.

8. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, I know I've already commented, but here I go again. I think you have an excellent sense of realism for the characters, because the other books had Jacen and Jaina too much like best friends, and brothers and sisters are supposed to make fun of each other, though you made it very real, because it showed they still loved each other. Luke and Mara were a bit mushy, but when you find out you're pregnant, that's what happens I guess. Also, Leia and Jaina's relationship was really nicely done, because it really showed that they had their problems too. I mean, our favorite families can't always be perfect. Your book really brought the characters to life, and it was a lot easier to connect with them. I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Nice work!

9. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Winter is married to Tycho Celchu.. one of the Rogues

10. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    That's right Destiny, Winter is married to Tycho. Because they're both from Alderaan.

Also, for anybody that remembers that thing about Mara being older then Luke...it's getting too weird with age problems. Leia is 11 years younger then Han. As for older women, Anakin is five years younger then Padme, Luke is two years younger then Mara, Jacen was a year younger then Tenel Ka, and five years younger then Danni. Personally, I think the older women thing is getting a LOT over used, and I think we need a change. Just a speculation.

11. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Love can be more than a little blind. I mean, what self-respecting Alderaanian princess would even admit she thought a notorious smuggler was cute, MUCH LESS fall in love with the scoundrel?

And there is a difference between someone within -13 years of you, and someone WAY, WAY older (20+ years). Han/Leia was right, never mind the 11-year difference. You just can't tell.

12. Jade_Shadow

Jade_Shadow Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2000
    Hey Kathy,

As you probably can tell, I'm new here. :) I would just like to say that I loved Truce of Bakura. It along with Zahn's triology are the only books I have read at least 4 times. I've always been a major Luke fan and your characterization of him in TaB was excellent! So, liking your first book so much was hoping beyond hope that Balance Point would at least be up to my expectations....and I was not disappointed! Balance Point actually supassed all expectations I had for it! I had really started to give up hope for the NJO until this book came along. The book actually makes me yearn for more! I can't wait to see what happens with the Jedi, what Luke and Mara's son would be named, what happens to Leia's noghri, and where Anakin will end up at (with the Jedi or with Rogue Squadron). But I guess that wasn't completely your doing, so I'll also give a thumbs up to Lucasfilm.

I really liked the way you wrote Leia and Jaina's relationship. Reminds me a lot of the relationship with my own mother. Being Jaina's age and all I can relate to her with that. I love my mother, but then I hate her and even though I can't deny it, I'm horrified by the fact that I'm turning out to be just like her. *ESB Luke: Noooooooooooo!* ;)

Mara and Luke are my favorite characters and it is good to see them actually act like a couple. I like that they are having a "Skycrawler". Personally, I would like to have seen a girl, (a mini Mara that acts more like Luke sometimes) but a boy is fine too. At least the Skywalker name won't die with Luke. :)

I like Jacen's characterization. Going the teen years myself, I can relate to him in some ways. I really don't have any idea what path I should really take or what career I will go into, but unlike him I don't dwell on it so much. I hope he doesn't stop using the Force again. I think he would make a good Jedi someday.

I don't really have any questions. Most of mine where already asked, (but not all of them were given clear answers, blast that implant. ;p) I guess there is only one thing I'm curious about, what do you think was the strongest and weakest parts to Balance Point in your own opinion?

BTW, thanks for the "Shadow". Mara needs her own ship. Lets hope this one lasts. ;)

13. Austin_Solo

Austin_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2000
    Miss Tyers,

What I first wish to say is that it is an honor to know a fellow Christian as well as Star Wars author (don't worry, we aren't fellows in _that_ field!:)

Secondly, I read the whole book, every single little word before even *thinking* about reading the spoilers. Spoilers spoil for me.

My favorite parts of the book would have to be the parts with Jacen struggling with his inner sense to not use the Force, but with his longing to fall back into using it. I especially liked the very end battle, where Jacen finally finds the "Balance Point":) of the Force.

Great, wonderful, stupendous, marvelous, awesome, magnificent, superb, amazing, breathtaking, fantastic, brilliant job!!!!!!!!

14. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Hi Kathy!

Congratulations on the homerun success of Balance Point. You deserve it.

Best,
    Dan

15. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    Egad, I'm behind again . . .

Lt. Ketch -- My next project is a stand-alone SF novel, and I can't say much more because it's still stuck in the outlining and character-chart phase.

Jades Fire -- Thanks for bumping us over the dreaded 666. I'm married to a younger man myself -- not that much younger, but he sure SEEMS older sometimes.

Jeremyguy -- I'm glad you enjoyed your choir concert! I loved my son's. Stay with it; it's a wonderful lifetime skill.

Kiera -- I have to agree! Plus -- when Mara was an EH, the idea of a punk kid destroying all she'd loved would have made her all the more bitter. As they age, the difference does matter less and less.

Harimad-sol -- Thank you for the solid BP endorsement with your sister, and regarding the family relationships. That feels great.

Marie Jadewalker -- This is not official word, but I (personally) doubt we'll learn much about Mara's past. Again personally, I think if anyone has the right to reveal that, it's Tim -- but I am NOT in charge here! <g> Thanks so much for your kind words.

Artemis -- You really touched me with that comment about your choir concerts. My parents were too far away to come for my orchestra concerts, so I know how you feel. In re: Luke & running water -- it just seems logical. I slipped that into TaB, too, years and years ago.

Caliman
    1) Han's use of the word "Junior" was actually a reference to his old name for Luke, but to my delight, it works on both levels!
    1a) I think my writing font is Courier New, 12-pitch, non-proportional spacing.
    2) By all means get on with the story!! Explain ONLY what the reader must know in order to understand what's going on with the characters. Way too many new writers over-explain. My first drafts are only "outline with dialog," but I still spend pages and pages "driving to the story," and so I end up either cutting the first two chapters entirely or else rewriting chapter 1 ten or twelve times (no, I'm not exaggerating).

As for writing Luke's demise, all I can say is, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MJM -- Good question, and I honestly don't know.

FatJedi -- Also a good Q. I didn't use many of the "traditional" SW heroes in BP because at this point on the timeline, they're in other places. I had to stick tightly to my assigned characters if I wanted to portray them with depth. I suspect that if future NJO books take place in those characters' vicinity, they'll be involved.

JedyAlly -- That would be interesting --

Miss Padme -- I felt badly that H/L's reunion was so rushed, too, but this is wartime.

Yes, ppl have asked what I'd name Skycrawler. Someone here suggested "Brennen," which I thought was a huge kick (it's a reference to my Firebird series, you see). Matthew and Eitan/Ethan were also suggested, as well as others. I dunno what I would pick!

Katriel -- Yes, isn't that interesting about Akbar? And Destiny Skywalker's correct about Winter, IIRC. ArnaKyle, too. Thanks for chiming in, you two.

ArnaKyle -- Thanks again!

Jedi Smuggler -- agreed.

Jade Shadow -- Thanks for spreading the praise around. So much of it is deserved elsewhere (e.g. Dan Wallace, see below!). Re Leia/Jaina's relationship -- I did draw on my own times with my mom a bit, and also my nieces' relationship with my sister.

Oo that's a tough question. I think I'd rather let other people tell me what worked and didn't work for them.

Austin Solo -- Thanks for the kind words (Oh, and it's "Mrs." -- but "Kathy" is just fine), and for avoiding spoilers. I know that's tough.

Dan Wallace -- Hi back atcha! Thank YOU for the desperately needed tech and continuity help, and for posting here. I suspect that many of the fans have no idea how big a job continuity really is, <whispering> and how deeply we dread making mistakes! </whispering off>. And "home run" is an apt metaphor, because Bob, Mike, and Jim loaded the bases.

Kathy

And now for the dreaded typo-repair counter:

16. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    Kathy,

Thanks so much for being a part of this board, and for the great book. I enjoyed it very much.

Highlights were Mara -- being inside her head, the intimacy that was a part of the whole book, but her intimacy portrayed with Luke was very well done. And the Skycrawler! Yeah! Can't wait to see him.

Thought Jacen's struggle was well done. I sympathized with his inner turmoil and his epiphanous moment was great, his showdown with TL.

Especially enjoyed your characterization of Luke: he was strong and decisive, yet caring and careful in his talk with Jacen. It's not up to Luke to tell Jacen *how* to be a Jedi or *how* to use his power. Jacen has to find out for himself.

Loved how Mara first became aware of her pregnancy and thought it was a granite slug -- *what* could it be??

Also Leia cutting off her hair - no! But great symbolism - her power/ heritage from Alderaan (?) - even from Amidala (though she's unaware of this).

All in all, a great addition to the NJO. Been reading the whole NJO, and first glanced at this board, caught some spoilers. That spurred me to go buy the book and read it. Then I just finished reading this entire thread -- took me awhile!

17. Austin_Solo

Nov 8, 2000
    >Austin Solo--thanks for the kind words.

Ah, gwan!:) Actually, it was all true, all of it. I loved the book.

Whoopsie. My bad. Sorry 'bout that Mrs. Tyers, I somehow forgot that you were married.

18. Albion

Albion Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2000
    Hi Kathy!

Ok, first... I haven't read Balance Point yet, and from what it sounds like, I need to really, REALLY update my Star Wars shelf! ;)

Anyways, I did read Truce at Bakura, until the cover almost fell off. My significant other can't seem to figure out how I can read a book 8+ times... well, that's rambling.

You said you have a stand-alone SW book coming up? COOL! I love Truce, especially the concepts you created with the Sii-Ruuk. I also liked Gaeriel... I know this is all old stuff to you, and these are compliments a million times over, but I didn't want to read through the ENTIRE thread to see if I was being redundant.

Okay, I knew I had a question in here somewhere? Oh, yeah... Found it! ;)

Besides the continuity nightmares that come along with writing a new novel to add to an already comprehensive series of novels, do you find it hard to be so constrained when having use either 'Movie' characters or characters other authors have created? (i.e.: Winter, Mara Jade, etc.)

Anyways, as a budding fanfic writer, I wanted to thank you for setting up shop here, and letting us Star Wars junkies ask you those million and one questions we've always wanted to ask!

19. Austin_Solo

Nov 8, 2000
    Fanfic?! Fanfic?! Cool. I love writing SW fanfic, especially here: www.swstory.com

I am actually Austin Ross on that site...but, well, hey, I can dream, can't I?

20. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    Kathy--(Is it really okay to call you that?)I'm immensely flattered that you took the time to respond to me. I'm a newbie at this board--I got my star this afternoon and am oh-so-proud. I think it's wonderful that you take some of your precious time to respond to us. I also appreciate how much you considered the fan in your Wonderful novel. I wish I had time to read Balance Point again right now, but school calls. Thank you again for all you've done, and extended thank yous to all who helped you.
    Grace and peace

21. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Okay, newcomer's turn!

First, Mrs. Tyers, I cangratulate you on writing the first not-totally-depressing book of the NJO series! Luke and Mara's baby--all I can say is, it's about time! Even though I was one of the ridiculously few who wasn't pleased with their union at first (I'm a huge advocate of Callista), I've gotten over it and I'm so glad that Luke's about to become a daddy!
    What I really enjoyed about BP was the portrayal of the Solo kids. Especially the part where Mara's talking to Luke about handing the fight off to the next generation of Jedi. That's such a great part because it shows that everything they've fought for has been a success: they've created a promising galaxt for the new generation, and now it's time for them to take over and make sure it stays that way. That was definitely my favorite part of the book.

I do have one question, though: Are we going to be seeing any more of Vergere in upcoming books? I'd really like to know--I'll take a simple yes or no, whatever!

Thanks so much for doing this--it's great to actually talk to one of the authors (not to mention one of my favorites!)

ACJ

22. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Kathy, please visit my thread: Official site confirmation of Edge of Victory: Conquest.

I would like to know what you can tell us about the info given to us by starwars.com. I know you can't speak that much, but you have to have an opinion. Tell us what you think of the cover... Tell us anything, or everything you can.

Thanks a lot! And remember: Official site confirmation of Edge of Victory: Conquest, that's the title of the thread.

Well, here's the direct link. I don't know if it will function.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1319093&start=1319511

23. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    The intimacy of your writing in BP was akin to the OT movies. Just what drew me in and kept me interested in the first place. Great job, again.

24. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Off topic question.

Kathy, do you know the street date for Crown of Fire?

Thanks,
    JF
    (Currently re-reading FF so things are fresh.)

25. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    GirlJedi -- What a great post. I'm honored. -- Also by the fact that you read this whole humungous (sp??) thread. I'm thinking about having it bound and offering it to DR to publish as a companion volume ;).

Albion -- No, no, I have a stand-alone *SF* book under construction. NOT SW related. But I'm delighted you enjoyed TAB.

Actually, I was allowed to introduce a few new characters -- but we are encouraged to re-use those who have already been introduced whenever possible. Reading about one of them is like seeing an old friend on the street, isn't it?.

Marie Jadewalker -- Congrats on the star! I just got #3 (mostly because of this thread), so I know how you're feeling. Hang in there -- school DOES come first, and I respect your sense of priority. BP will still be there when Christmas break rolls around.

Ambassador Cara Jade -- Pleased to meet you, and tx so much for relating your favorite part. I appreciate that.

More of Vergere? Er . . . I'm not allowed to say, so draw your own conclusion.

junio -- Later, OK? Thanks for the invite.

Jades Fire -- CROWN OF FIRE has been shipped to distributors, and I've received both my complimentary copies and the box I ordered from BHP. There isn't a strict street date (as with a Star Wars book), so as soon as the stores receive it, they can start selling it. I've heard it's not showing up on some computers, so insist that they double check. Bless you for asking! (AND for rereading FUSION FIRE -- )

Kathy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.