main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Most action packed issue huh Jan? Want to post up a couple scans to prove it? ;) j/k

September can't come too fast...

2. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Hey Jan - i have 3 questions re: Republic 65 - which was #@$@%$% AWESOME!!!!!!

1 - At the Redemption Center, the guard behind the energy bars - is he at all supposed to be an offshoot of Yoda's species? I woulda thought that was a no-no for some reason.

2 - There are 2 bounty hunter resmbling Bossk and Boush - i am assuming they are not them - since the Bossk-y Trandoshan appears to have been killed on following pages. Is that just a liitle nod to the originals?

3 - There is a particular panel of Kit Fisto where he says "Well, I think my work here is done." which looks to be a different paiting medium?
    Am I right?

Tx Jan baby - keep up the totally awesome work!!!!

3. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Jan, in recent production photos for Episode III in Star Wars Insider and on Hyperspace, we have seen both Anakin and Obi-wan sporting a new "look", namely in their hairstyles and lightsabers.

Will it be up to the Republic series to bridge the gap between the two looks? While I am sure Anakin's hair will be explained in Jedi Trial, seeing as he becomes a Jedi knight in that book, will you be tasked with drawing Obi with his new hair and lightsaber?

Anakin also appears to have an elaborate new glove for his robotic hand in Episode III. When can we expect to see him with this neat new glove in Republic?

4. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    Jan do you have any advice on how to draw? I love to draw but im not that great.

5. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    The comic shops over here haven't received the latest Star Wars issues yet, including "Republic" #65 "Show Of Force 1" ... what a major bummer. I was looking forward a lot to getting it today. :(

6. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Very cool to hear that you all are liking issue 65! I can't WAIT until you see part 2. John brings this one around to a mighty awesome conclusion. (Dr. Evil type cackle is heard...)

bulent_hasan-
    I'm glad to hear that the Chronicles of Riddick was good. I really like the character and was hoping for a winner. Yeah--I'd like to draw a pic or two of him! Something INTENSE! :D

JediTrilobite--
    Scans? Wish I could! I would love for you all to see what this issue is going to be like. As I said this story is action packed, but full of intensely personal character bits. John surprised me with a few scenes in part 3 of this one. Stuff I didn't expect. Hopefully Dark Horse will have some scans of the issue up in a while.

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    episodenone--
    Thanks for the kudos!
    Answers to your questions follows!

>>1 - At the Redemption Center, the guard behind the energy bars - is he at all supposed to be an offshoot of Yoda's species? I woulda thought that was a no-no for some reason.<<

He's a Psadan--who are a strong willed and obstinate people. John and I wanted to get someone who would naturally give Agen a hard time. (We wanted to call up images of Louie DePalma for those who remember 'Taxi'.) Yoda's species is as yet unspecified, so there's no going there right now. I wonder if we will ever find out 'what' Yoda is?

>>2 - There are 2 bounty hunter resmbling Bossk and Boush - i am assuming they are not them - since the Bossk-y Trandoshan appears to have been killed on following pages. Is that just a liitle nod to the originals?<<

Since the Trandoshans have a 'ruthless warrior culture', it's probably a sure thing that more than one of them became a bounty hunter. Not sure if the one in the story was as famous as Bossk, but he was pretty ruthless. I also tried to include some beings with Boush-type masks. It would figure that not every species can breathe the same air.

>>3 - There is a particular panel of Kit Fisto where he says "Well, I think my work here is done." which looks to be a different paiting medium?
    Am I right?<

You are right. I haven't seen the printed book yet, so I don't know exactly how Brad colored that panel--but the drawing for that one was done with pencil and not inked (like Dan and I did for parts of Dooku.)so it was colored directly on the pencils in Photoshop. I did it to vary things a bit, but have had mixed reviews on the technique in that particular spot. I'll have to reserve judgement if it worked or not til I see the actual book. What's your opinion--did it work?

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    >>Jan, in recent production photos for Episode III in Star Wars Insider and on Hyperspace, we have seen both Anakin and Obi-wan sporting a new "look", namely in their hairstyles and lightsabers.

Will it be up to the Republic series to bridge the gap between the two looks? While I am sure Anakin's hair will be explained in Jedi Trial, seeing as he becomes a Jedi knight in that book, will you be tasked with drawing Obi with his new hair and lightsaber?

Anakin also appears to have an elaborate new glove for his robotic hand in Episode III. When can we expect to see him with this neat new glove in Republic?<<

President_Sharky--
    It looks like it's possible that we will be helping to bridge the looks between Ep II and III. It's not so much an issue with Obi-Wan's look as anyone can get a haircut and a trim like Obi seems too. Anakin's hair, on the other hand, would take some time to grow out so we'll no doubt be seeing that. As for the lightsabers? I'd leave that for LF to decide. A Jedi can build a new saber anytime he wants to.

Not sure when we will see the glove. Hopefully we'll be allowed to use it in Republic soon. It looks very cool!

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    >>Jan do you have any advice on how to draw? I love to draw but im not that great.<<

DarkSithDrew--

I'll let you in on a little secret. At your age, I wasn't that great of an artist either. Honest. What I did have was a burning desire to draw the images in my mind. It's really all I've EVER wanted to do ever since I can remember.

The best advice I can give you is if you love to draw--then keep drawing. Draw every day. Draw as much as you can and try to draw everything you see. It doesn't have to be great--it just has to be attempted. If you get a chance to take classes somewhere (school, in an after school program, from a book) then do it. Copy other artists. It's a great way to learn. (I used to trace and copy panels from comics that I liked.) What you are attempting to do is to get the brain and hand working as one.

Another interesting thing I've learned is that learning to draw does not mean just drawing. I think an artist develops more quickly if they experience other media as well. Painting, sculpture, film-making,photography all figure into the equation of making an artist. Look at film, cartoons, books, video games, and real life for inspiration and to understand stylistic variations within the media.

Sculpture is one medium that really opened my eyes about how to draw. I always felt that my drawings were very flat--then once I tried sculpture, I was able to understand the roundness and the building of form in 2 dimensions as well.

Good luck to you--if you need any other advice, you know where to find me! (right here! or at www.janduursema.com)

10. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Poor GodofDeath! You and I are probably the only one's who havent seen this one yet! :p ;)

sergejg-- Hope I can one day draw that Aayla Khaleen cover and make the dream a reality! :)

Meriwyn--I know Obi-Wan and Quinlan are a couple of favorites for you! You are going to love issues 69-71!

Whitey--You are right about the Kiffar tattoos. Different clans have various colors they use so the black tattoo on Khaleen's shoulder would not have attracted any undue attention.

11. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    "You and I are probably the only one's who havent seen this one yet!"

A cruel fate for us indeed... :( :p (Ah, I know it is more than worth the wait.)
    I have now ordered "Republic" #65 it online with express UPS delivery just in case it still doesn't get released here next week. :) (I hope it arrives soon, as the shipping rate I paid is quite exuberant.)

12. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    Thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind and try my best. Thanks

13. GodofDeath

Feb 15, 2003
    I got "Republic" #65 "Show Of Force (part 1 of 2)"! What an amazing comic! You outdid yourself again Jan, it's breathtaking! I love it! :D

What struck me most was how you created a unique atmosphere for each location, Null, New Holstice, the "Rig" ... they all had a specific feeling to them that fitted the events and character moods.
    Loved the panels with Aayla and Tholme, they're simply sublime. Tholme seemed so haunted, shattered and Aayla very compassionate and supportive. Although when Aayla learns the truth from Tholme, she did seem to have emotions raging beneath the calm surface. :)

Can't wait to see the second part and "Armor"! :D

14. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    My local Borders is always one comic behind on Republic [face_frustrated]

I've heard only good things about this issue, so it should be worth the wait...

15. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    You are right. I haven't seen the printed book yet, so I don't know exactly how Brad colored that panel--but the drawing for that one was done with pencil and not inked (like Dan and I did for parts of Dooku.)so it was colored directly on the pencils in Photoshop. I did it to vary things a bit, but have had mixed reviews on the technique in that particular spot. I'll have to reserve judgement if it worked or not til I see the actual book. What's your opinion--did it work?

thanks for asking jan!

i think that panel was SICK!
    i would love to see more of that from you

yea, sure it was a little strange to see that lone panle stuck in there since it was the only one of its kind, but it was still good stuff

maybe a cover like that would be cool since i always found it easier to digest when covers have unique mediums as opposed to single panels.
    or perhaps like a kent williams or ashley wood who vary mediums throughout - but i guess it's up to you!

i will add that kit fisto was definately the character of choice for that art switch up - he looked awesome with the trademark grin :D

keep up the goodwork - and like i said in the JO thread to john, please feels free to stay on the SW books well after EP III - you 2 have my vote for favorite creative team on SW comix EVER !!!

16. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hey Jan,
    Not posted for a while, sorry about that. I loved Republic #65 - great to see Jedi march through Bounty Hunter central and kick butt.

I know you like drawing SW creatures and it shows from the great scenes where you include them in your issues - I just wondered if you have got the most recent Wizards of the Coast book Ultimate Adversaries as it has a whole section on SW creatures (some updated from the WOTC Alien Anthology)? It may be worth a look.

And have you seen SW Galaxies at all? That is a visual feast when it comes to creatures, I can wander all day looking at the animals on there.

I will write a big review on Republic #65 for the DHC boards later. Keep up the great work.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I can wander all day looking at the animals on there.<<

I usually end up running away from all the animals on there as they have a tendancy to hunt me down and kill me. ;)

18. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hehe
    I am just too dumb and stubborn to do that The2ndQuest. Besides, I am the person who got beaten up by a durni, a DURNI! For those who don't know what a durni is, it is the SW equivalent of our rabbit. I just wouldn't left it be. So the thing bit me and sent me to the Cloning vats lol.

19. DarkSithDrew

Apr 24, 2004
    Dont worry ...maybe bunnys are possesed?

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Jan, what made you deicde on Sora Bulq having a short saber in Schism? I was thinking about the short bladed sabers in the KOTOR game. Was there any connection, or just to have something different?

21. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I got SW:R #65 last weekend. Very cool book! I was glad that Aayla had a couple pages in it including the meeting with Luminara. I love Saesee's new Clone War look (based on the action figure) so it was great to see it in the comics. And, Agen Kolar, another favorite of mine, as a bounty hunter was cool. Can't wait to see the conclusion, along with Windu and Fisto.

So, do we get to see more of this "mandalorian" thingy later on? :)

Saw the nice cover to SW:R #69 of Kenobi and Vos in the latest Previews catalog. Love it!

Hope to see you in San Diego. Still not sure if I can actually make it but I'll try.

22. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    hello to jan duursema.
    your work's pretty decent from what I've seen, is like lot's of super-hero comics. also i like the colorist of your comics, Joe Wayes I think? and writer John Ostrander.
    if you don't mind was wondering if you'd answer a few questions I have bout being a comic artist?..
    -how long does one issue take to draw?
    -what tools do you use for drawing?
    -is the pay decent for comic artistry?
    -what is working at darkhorse like?

course don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm interested in comic artistry that's why i ask, so just curious.

23. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    So, do we get to see more of this "mandalorian" thingy later on?

DarthMane pretty much ruined any chance of that happening. ;)

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey all! Glad to hear you are liking issue 65 and (by now) 66! I still haven't seen 65 if you can believe it... Right now I'm working on issue 70 and a cover for 71.

GodofDeath--
    Thanks! You can really thank Brad Anderson for making the worlds look so different. He does brilliant things with color! It is interesting, isn't it? Aayla is an island of calm in all this. We know she must have deep feelings about what Tholme has told her about Quin's mission, yet she does not trouble him with her own concerns. I think this is part of what makes Aayla a great Jedi.

episodenone--
    Thanks for the feedback on the Kit Fisto panel. I am curious how it looks now more than ever. Hey, if they all want me to, I'd stay one drawing Star Wars forever! I thank you for your vote of support!

Sorry I haven't been around for a bit, but I didn't have a way to get on the web for a while. But, I'm back now.

Thanks for working on a summary for issue 65, Tim. Appreciate it! Haven't seen Galaxies--I really want to. You know how much I love SW critters. Those killer rabbits sound bada$$. Ya just don't want to mess with em... :p

Excellence--
    Sora's long and short saber comes from my seeing several styles of fighting using long and short swords. I toyed with the idea of him having a Maul type saber with a long and short blade, but the two seperate blades gave him some cool moves--so I went with it.

kampilan--Good to see you liked the issue--it was nice seeing Aayla again, wasn't it? (wait til issue 68!) Saesee Tinn's Clone Wars costume (the one on the figure) was so cool, I just had to draw it for this one! I had lots of fun with the cover for 69--Quin and Obi--I begged to do that cover! My two favorite Jedi on the same cover... :) Hope you can make it to San Diego!!! Wouldn't be the same without you!

Xcell--
    I'll try to answer your questions--It takes about a month for me to pencil one issue. Sometimes longer, sometimes a bit shorter, but that is average. I mostly use mechanical pencils--a .5 and a .3, but I also use drawing pencils as well. Some of us make a decent living in comics--others make a lot of money. It depends on talent and luck. I know a lot of hardworking talented professionals who just never got lucky, but can make decent money. I have to work a lot of hours because I don't draw fast. I don't mind because I love doing this. I always tell artists who want to draw comics--If you are getting into this industry--get into it because you love it, because you will probably spend a lot of time doing it. Working for Dark Horse is great!

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Cover to #70:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2004/07/img/20040702_republic70_bg.jpg]

Cool stuff ::)