main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Natha_P_Butler wrote:
    ?So, that's what he was doing on Ord Sedra and why he was meeting with the Imperial leadership when diverted there . . .?

You can get the Empire out of the Sith, but not the Sith out of the Empire apparently. ;)

Charlemagne19 wrote:
    ?and sweet... I *KNEW* Mara/Kyle was cannon!?

Yeah, just had to address that sticky ?apprentice? issue. Looks good now.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Kyle's mother was killed by a BT-16? Aren't those the Perimiter Defence droids that the B'omaar monks use as brain spiders??

Yep!

?More GoDV references? [MrBurns]Excellent![/MrBurns] ?

Working in a couple GDV and Marvel refs is one of my favorite SW pastimes.

nawaraven104 wrote:
    ?AWESOME stuff. I would like to reiterate the request for some sort of annotations for all of the obscure references, though. It would be great to run them all down...?

Note that much of what?s written is new, so a bibliography would basically be not for Kyle?s adventures per se, but rather all the little known references. I?ll see what I can do.

Take care,
    Abel

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    If I didn't say it already - thanks, guys! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

3. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    Burrie wrote:
    Nonetheless, once again, great work on the article. Katarn brought me into Star Wars as it is(who needs them silly movies for that, anyway), and this is a bloody great summary of all his exploits.

Ditto every word! This is amazing stuff!

Where did the name Patricia for Kyle's mother? Inquiring minds and all! :D

4. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    The2ndQuest wrote:
    "BTW, Abel, Leland has stated recently that Lumiya is not a Sith Lord (though that means she can still be a Sith of some kind)- what are your views on that, given the content of these articles?"

I don't know what the official stance is on Lumiya's Sithness. She is called a Sith Lord in the Gamer article and that seemed to go through fine.

In any case, I think the important thing is that Lumiya clearly *believes* herself to be the Sith heir. Whether she's justified in believing that or not is another story, though given that she has a Sith holocron, let alone that she was trained by a Sith, and that there are no other "official" Sith left, I'd say you really can't blame her for claiming the mantle. Luke after all basically did the same thing when he declared himself a Jedi Master. Just one of those point of view things.

Take care,
    Abel

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I believe, Lymia is no DARK LORD of the Sith, because this line ended with the prophecy of the choosen one and ROTJ. but she might be a Sith, using its teachings, and the title lord, though not THE LORD, as the ancients had been called. she is more like a sith adoring Krath follower, using its teachings as darksider. she might not be a DARK LORD OF THE SITH (or dark lady^^) but a Sith Lord, which is only one rank lower to THE two Lords. as proven by Kotor2.

6. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    I recall someone metioning that there should be about five or six parts to the Kyle Katarn series. It seems Kyle's journey to Ruusan and the Valley of the Jedi was already covered, but there is so much more detail that could be expanded upon in that area.

I was curious if any of the upcoming parts would include biographies or histories of the Jerec and his Dark Jedi - Gorc, Pic, Boc, Yun, Maw, Sariss.

Should we feel lucky?

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Charlemagne19 wrote:
    ?I like that Kyle is essentially being retconned into the entire history of the Star Wars Universe.?

Thanks Charlemagne. I just try to make the connections that seem to make the most sense, along with a touch of ?ooh? factor. :)

Eyrezer wrote:
    ?Ok, let me put it this way then. I doubt that particular story idea will feature in a novel, ie the Dark Nest Trilogy as some have speculated.?

Right. The ?Jedi Search? adventure seed takes place before the Dark Nest Trilogy.

?Also, cool to see Bey get a mention in this article.?

For a ?living legend,? you?d figure the dude would get more screen time.

Mavrick889 wrote:
    ?Abel, wonderful job as always. I can't wait to read the next batch.?

Thanks Mav. Hope you guys enjoy em!

ThrawnTheInfallable wrote:
    ?Question, will there be Desann and Jerec bios??

[Best Jango impression] Possibly... ;)

Take care,
    Abel

8. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Oh, with a Dessan bio we might finally get confirmation oh who the student he killed was. My money is on certain Ken named Jedi.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I like that Kyle is essentially being retconned into the entire history of the Star Wars Universe.<<

An excellent point, as this is something Abel achieved with spectacular success with his Mandalorian article (think about, with Taung connection through the NJO, the Mandalorians now span beyond even the Jedi and Sith histories).

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    BTW: Has Kyle between to the Unknown Regions before the "Jedi Search" adventure seed?

11. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    BTW, Abel, Leland has stated recently that Lumiya is not a Sith Lord (though that means she can still be a Sith of some kind)- what are your views on that, given the content of these articles?

[face_laugh] Oh, Ford, when did this happen?

12. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    I'm sure Lumiya herself would have a fit if she heard people were calling her "Dark Lord". After all the work she's done against sexism on the Dark Side, she still struggles to get a 'Dark Lady' mention :p

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Abel: Luke after all basically did the same thing when he declared himself a Jedi Master. Just one of those point of view things.

[face_laugh] :D =D= [face_dancing] =D=

For those who're confused, the StarWars.com forum thread where Leland Chee (Tasty Taste) came out with the revelation that Lumiya is "not a Sith Lord" is here, and the discussion is contined here...

- The Imperial Ewok

14. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thrawn McEwok wrote:
    ?But given Kyle's already-established predeliction for Palpatine's red-haired green-eyed stepdaughters... ?

You just can?t keep Mara and Shira away from each other.

Xzylon wrote:
    ?THe reference to Kyle and Max (the demented short lagomorph) was hilarious! I bet a lot of people thought it was Jaxxon or Plif, because I thought so too at first, but neither character fits BOTH adjectives.?

Max is a riot. :D While they?re pretty hard to come by, I recommend hunting down a Sam and Max tpb.

Esplin9466 wrote:
    ? Interesting. Has this Erling fellow shown up before??

Erling Tredway is from the pick-your-path style book Jedi?s Honor, written by Troy Denning and published by West End Games in the early 90s.

TalonCard wrote:
    ?The game probably takes place shortly after the Battle of Bespin, giving the Death Star II a year of construction at Endor. Whether or not the team suceeded, they were all probably imprisoned in order to keep the Death Star a secret. Vader may have executed or turned to the Dark Side Shelvey or Tredway, while Kyle obviously would have escaped post-Endor. Shira, of course, could have been allowed to return to the Alliance. Presumably she worked behind the scenes to keep the rest of the Rebels ignorant of the mission. That would be my interpretation of events, anyway. Perhaps Jason or Abel could clear it up...??

That sounds just about right, TC.

Sinrebirth wrote:
    ?Assumedly, the one Vader turns is Shira Brie. An easy way to explain why the Alliance didnt figure out the threat of the superlaser was because the Death Star II jammed transmissions from Drinba IV, or the ISD with it. The four Jedi were presumedly on Drinba by accident, and under the jamming field decided to plan an attack on the Death Star on a whim.

A little record faking from Shira, the capture of Kyle Katarn and the Jedi, and the interception and destruction of all Drinba rebels, and they'd have no idea the Death Star blew up Drinba...?

Also some good reasoning Sinrebirth. IMO, it?s still up in the air whether the DS2 actually succeeded in destroying D?rinba IV or not, but if it did, there?s no reason why Kyle and perhaps Erling couldn?t have disabled the superlaser afterward to avert a similar disaster.

JoinTheSchwarz wrote:
    ?Maybe it was Shira, and the "Vader turning her" was just to keep her cover intact.?

My thinking exactly JTS. :)

?It certainly adds a new and very interesting "Kyle versus Shira" relationship, considering his relationship with Mara and the adventure seed about him trying to find the new Sith.?

Ditto.

Take care,
    Abel

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Sooooooo

Is Mara and Kyle's relationship....close?

As for the solution to Lady Luminya, my belief is that Darth Vader was stringing her along. Luminya was made into a cyborg and given advanced Dark Jedi training by Vader (enough to make her above a 'mere' hand) because Darth Vader intended Luke to kill her.

His dubbing her the Dark Lady of the Sith and so forth is all Vader being pompous. After Vader's death, she knows none of the secrets of being a "true" sith Lord and certainly Palpatine never teaches her them.

Indeed, its likely amusing that she was forced to obey Isard and failed as a warlord until the Emperor came back and probably told her

"I have no interest in you as an apprentice"

and passed her over for Luke, probably percipitating her assassination plot.

In other words, Shira is nothing more/less than a direct copy of Ventress. Someone who comes THIS close to being a Sith but ultimately cannot master the Dark Side enough to become one.

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Charlemagne: never mind about that Katarn dude - it's Mara and Shira I'm interested in! :p

[face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Dangit...

Does Kyle make a habit of picking up Luke's women (or vice versa?)

Will we see that after Mara, Kyle and Jan broke up over

"A forceless former blonde Jedi that Kyle took a shine too?"

18. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    Lumiya could go to Korriban and learn from the spirits of the Sith Lords. It worked for Exar Kun.

19. Dash_Renndar

Dash_Renndar Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 21, 2004
    LijoT posted on 4/14/05 6:11pm
    The core of the movie was all the same that he had in his mind, he's made minor changes here and there in its execution of course, especially because it took a very long time and it's a part of making a movie. Since he's the creator he's free to reshape it of course, and he's said how he's done it to his heart's content to the point where he's satisfied, and is sealing it off.

And no, what GL says is actually the "fact" in Star Wars, and is the highest source in Star Wars along with the movies that he created. It's the creator's word about his creation. The "gospel" in Star Wars, also called G-level canon, consists of anything that GL says and the movies, ie there's no bigger evidence than the highest source of evidence which is the dogma itself. Even the deleted scenes from the movies are part of this. What he says and what he does (regarding Star Wars) are what's called G. It's not my opinion, but the very law of the EU as explained by Sue Rostini and Leland Chee of LFL (those in charge).
    [hr][/blockquote]

All this A-level, B-level, C-level canon is ridiculous. There is only [b]CANON[/b]. The rating system was made up the LFL corp. GL only has one level of [b]CANON[/B] and thats the movies. Having a canon grading system for EU is fine, but including the films is ridiculous.

20. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    Um, you just described the system. You said the films should be separate from EU (which they are, been the top level canon) and it was fine for the EU to have a canon grading system (which is the lower 3 levels).

See ? No worries ;)

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Luke may have destroyed the spirits of the Sith on Korriban in Jedi Outcast.

22. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    They just sent Marka Ragnos back to sleep for another unspecified length of time. I doubt any of the ancient spirits on Korriban could be removed permanently.

23. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    If you BDZed or superlasered Korriban, they might just go where Palpy went. But the only way to find out where Sith spirits go after you destroy their tombs is to just blow up the darn planet and see, I guess.

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    since Korriban lay in the Yuzzhan Vong invasion path, they definitely visited Korriban and killed the freaking planet with its own moon or something like it.

25. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Re: blowing up Sith tombs; they seem to be what tie their spirits to the world, so I imagine destroying them would force them to finally join the Dark Side fo the Force in death, with all the personality-shredding madness fun and final death that brings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.