main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kyle Katarn's Tale (Dark Forces Articles by Abel & Jason)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Nope, Kyle ran into Fett on Coruscant after breaking into the HQ of Imperial Intelligence(!). Fett was waiting for him back where Jan had landed their ship. (edit: I had assumed you were asking about Gromas; if you were asking about Coruscant then you're correct :) )

I think the Jedi whose experiences Kyle sees was named Tan, but I'll have to double-check my copy of JK to be sure.

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Darn it Abel, I *told* you you didn't want to see it. ;) Pretty funny site, though.

TC

3. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    I loved the latest update on the Blood Moon, and in particular this bit of continuity:

The Gromas moons hid extensive deposits of phrikite, a rare mineral that could be refined with tydirium to produce phrik, a tough yet resilient alloy nearly as strong as impervium.

The idea that tydirium (known previously in SW lore as the name of the ROJ shuttle) could be some type of metal or other element originated, I think, in the LucasArts game X-Wing Alliance, where one of your missions is to steal the Tydirium from a docking facility. When you fly into the central area, there are tons of shuttles with names like Crystilium and Bandarium or something like that.

Anyway, neat reference.

Dan

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Yep, that was it exactly, Dan, though I had forgotten what source that was from until you mentioned it right now! :p

Best,
    Abel

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Here's the Kyle Katarn mini from C3. I believe it is a prototype, so the finished product should look better (not to mention it was taken through plexiglass at short range.) :)

Abel, did you know anything about this mini and did it affect the mini missions in which Kyle is a Jedi?

Oh, and just for coolness factor, here's Baron Fel. :cool: [face_devil]

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Nah, we didn't know about the Kyle mini. Instead, in the Jedi missions, we used ... no, that would be telling. Soon enough.

Baron Fel looks awesome!

Jace

7. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    the next part of the missions is up at wizards! I hope we´ll get more of the articles soon! The missions are nice and the bios included there, too, but the articles had lots more EU information!

hope the bios they put to the missions arn´t the rest of the articles, are they? 8t88 was with this one.

8. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    Is the "Cloak of the Sith" mentioned in the Kyle bio the same "Cloak of Sith mentioned in the Droid cartoon as the astrodust cloud where the Roon system is?

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    it is, because there is only one region in space with that name!

hmm we might tie the taung-mandalorians to katarn somehow if Roon is tied to them *fg* as a fan of both I will make a theory^^

thx for the note

10. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    You are welcome, I noticed it by chance and thanks to those new dvd's. I noticed also a a link to episode 3, but for those who aren't spoiled I will only say that it is the use of a vehicle that bares resemblence.

Anyway those articles were great. I really cannot wait for Kyle's role in the Legancy era.

11. TwiLeksRokMySox

TwiLeksRokMySox Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2004
    Great 8t88 bio! Balancesheet got a mention...talk about digging up characters from the mothballs.

12. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Here's a link.

Loved the Yoda Stories and the MotS references. In my eyes, two of the most criminally underrepresented games (tho wasn't MotS referenced in Hutt! Hutt! Hutt!?)

13. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

TalonCard wrote:
    ?Death Star tidbits again! I liked the tie-in with the Toprawa research facility from Jedi Dawn. ?

Jedi Dawn was long overdue for a ref.

JoinTheSchwarz wrote:
    ?I'll have you know that, thanks to your articles, I've reinstalled Dark Forces.?

Heh heh. :)

Kreuzader wrote:
    ?I think the Jedi whose experiences Kyle sees was named Tan, but I'll have to double-check my copy of JK to be sure.?

Let?s see? The light side Jedi was Tal, and the darksider was LaTor.

Rogue_Follower wrote:
    ?Abel, did you know anything about this mini and did it affect the mini missions in which Kyle is a Jedi??

Nope, and no. Very cool, though.

CeiranHarmony wrote:
    ?hope the bios they put to the missions arn´t the rest of the articles, are they??

No, but they?re coming. They made it through Lucasfilm approvals fairly intact, and Wizards recently asked us to do some last minute edits on em, so they?re definitely still coming.

?8t88 was with this one.?

It?s quite brief, but it?s in 88?s bio that you can find the reference to Yoda Stories that folks on the Droids and the Force thread helped out with. Enjoy the fruits of your labor! ;)

Take care,
    Abel

14. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Mmmmm, continuity fruit. :p

Good bio on 8t88. I especially like that you included the MotS reference; that little nod ("Hmmm, this looks familiar." -Mara Jade) was one of my favorite little nuggets of continuity in the game. The Balancesheet mention is also appreciated, as is the mention of the BL-series head and Omze's. I wonder if 88 ever raided the Droidworks Project for spare heads... ;)

Thanks for the Yoda Stories mention. :)

Edit: Tam: Yep, Ka'pa the Hutt was in Hutt! Hutt! Hutt! and he was also mentioned in the Bounty Hunter video game.

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    edits? did they want something in or out? and what was it?^^ thx Abel

16. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Mawan is the crime planet from Jedi Quest, isn't it? And I noticed that Jason got in some more planet placements--Keyorin is now in the Belderone Sector (both from the Marvel comics) of the Outer Rim. ;)

TC

17. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Edit: Tam: Yep, Ka'pa the Hutt was in Hutt! Hutt! Hutt! and he was also mentioned in the Bounty Hunter video game."<<

Bloody hell, that's what I get for being a cheapskate and playing all my games on the PC. Jedi Starfighter, Clone Wars and Bounty Hunter - the "lost three" in my opinion, they were released for all the big three platforms (which I dont own!) but never the PC. Which is a pity, as they all look great fun.

What's the context of Ka'pa's mention in BH?

18. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh, Bounty Hunter is chalk full of references, mostly contained within the "bounty hunting" feature of the game where you can target somebody and you get all of their information (species, crime, bounty posted by, known associates, etc.) I believe that Ka'pa is listed as the bounty poster for a runaway Twi'lek dancer.

That little feature is one of the best parts of the game, providing funny moments such as when a Jawa is wanted for distributing exploding Chuba frogs. [face_laugh]

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    providing funny moments such as when a Jawa is wanted for distributing exploding Chuba frogs.

There's no actual proof that it was a Jawa... besides, caveat emptor!

(gotta stick up for the Jawas)

20. hero_with_no_fear

hero_with_no_fear Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2005
    So does Rahn learn from Yoda on Dagobah THAT technique that yoda learns in episode 3? It's the only possible explanation for his coming back to help Kyle right?

21. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Possibly. Halagad Ventor and Darsha'cor are apparantly able to do it without any training or meditation or anything, so maybe it just comes naturally to some people, or maybe Jedi who have gone before can help those who don't know it.

*wonders if that's vauge enough not to be spoilerific*

TC

22. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I think we should table the Force ghost discussion for two weeks until the movie comes out, or resume it in the RotS thread. I know the book's been out for a month, but let's not risk earning the ire of the moderators.

Now, here's my gripe. Learning about 8T-88 was fine, but I was expecting another big article this week. Like the one at the beginning of April where we learned about Kyle's, Jan's, and Qu Rahn's stats, as well as several adventure scenarios stemming from them and the DF/JK series. I was hoping for some more Jedi stats.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I've probably asked this before, but was there anything specific regarding Jedi Outcast? NEGTC didn't mention it.

More specifically, how you can transform people into Jedi-class citizens, and infuse them with such anger emotion?

Thanks

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Torture them for months until they're a Blank slate mentally.

Use a crystal to channel residual Dark Side energy into their bodies

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Is that from the article, or speculation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.