main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Humor, humour, style of comedy, type of jokes, et cetera.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He's talking about that thing that happens when your lips move.

Well, fingers...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

>>Joe and I have been talking about our desire to do a Lumiya/Mara Jade comic since as far back as our first collaboration on the Emperor's Pawns, where we set the story up. <<

Maybe after LOTF hits and Lumiya is more well known, you'll get your chance. [face_praying]

>> Color me clueless, but what's Lord of War? <<

A decent dark comedy/drama starring Nicholas Cage. ;)

[image=http://www.sachsreport.com/lord%20of%20war%20nicolas%20cage%20movie%20gun%20arms%20dealer.jpg]

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Maybe it's just the banner talking.... but I'd love to see Lumiya back in the comics! :)

5. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    No Lord of War with tonight's update. :(

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmm.... intriguing.

Oh well. I haven't gotten my magazine yet anyway. :mad:

7. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    Lord of War will be up tomorrow night according to Bonnie at sw.com.

8. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>No Lord of War with tonight's update.<<<

[image=http://www.godzillatemple.com/photos/godzilla78.jpg]

:p

Just kidding...

9. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    How many pictures are with this article?

Also Joe or Abel are there going to be any pictures in Lord of War?

10. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    But that's what Bonnie said last night. :_|

11. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    It's coming. [face_praying] :)

12. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I did five illustrations for this article. One large full page collage of Grievous and the key players in his story and four smaller, individual scenes.

As far as I know there won't be but they (the Lucas Online crew) could surprise us with something.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Color me clueless (again) but what's an "Iron Knight?" The "FLTCH-series" designation implies a droid, but one such Iron Knight was listed among Grievous' Jedi kills...:confused:

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Iron Knights were, I believe, first elaborated upon in Abel's online Hyperspace article "Droids and the Force" and apparently were first referenced/appeared in SW Missions.

The SW Wiki's entry:

The Iron Knights were Force-sensitive Shard that trained under the Sunesi Jedi Master Aqinos. Their first major appearance in the Galaxy was at the Arkanian Revolution, where they assisted a team of Jedi sent by the Republic to end the conflict. Many survived the Jedi Purge and even joined the New Jedi Order established by Luke Skywalker.
    Like all Shard, the Iron Knights required droid bodies to interact with the world, hence their name. They used Juggernaut War Droids, FLTCH series droids, and Uulshos Justice Droids as their hosts.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Being as I'm a D&D player, I suddenly got an image of a warforged with a lightsaber...

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Otis Frampton has a rather fitting picture up on his site for today: Wheezer Wednesday.

I was hoping he would do Waru Wednesday, but this will do too. :p

Wish I had all those spiffy multicolor Prismacolor markers... =P~

17. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    That was a pleasure, since I found the anonymity of all those Jedi pretty annoying too.

The see the wording there is ambiguous. Do we know Geonosis status during the Clone Wars?

I don't know if the title even existed beforehand, but Tann's the prime candidate.

;)

As a big Marvel fan, the use of Belderone in Labyrinth of Evil did seem like a seriously missed opportunity without some kind of reference to Flint's father.

Yeah, as I'd said, I tried explaining that his cough was a symptom of his imperfect cyberring from the start and which the Geonosians brought under control after a time; Mace's Force-crushing then caused the condition to return. But this was something LFL didn't seem confortable with.

Admittedly, the butcher/coward dichotomy is one of the most difficult issues to address concerning Grievous. While Episode III does a nice job of balancing them (Grievous does actually kidnap Palpatine, after all), the pre-Revenge EU plays up the unstoppable killer angle with such a heavy hand that it's difficult to make any sense of Mace's blunt comment.

Something to keep in mind when considering Mace's view of Grievous is that these two have faced each other no less than three times when Mace makes the remark: Once on Boz Pity, where Mace catches him by surprise and drops a STAP on him; once in a short but proper duel on top of the mag-lev trains on Coruscant in which Grievous loses his footing, and the Clone Wars cartoon where Grievous gets legitimately pwned. With these confrontations, Mace doesn't have much reason to think very highly of Grievous.

That said, the "problem" of Mace's comment is tackled head on in Lord of War.

18. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I keep forgetting to mention it, but the use of an Iron Knight in the article was really cool. However, I do have a couple of questions. I know I've seen the name Quarmall before, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was originally from. Also, the reference to Waldan Bridger seemed similarly familiar. I seem to remember reading something about a General Bridger, or some such person during the Clone Wars, but I again I can't remember where.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    While I think we can all accept that Grevious in the RoTJ movies is a different man from what the EU has portrayed him as (ditto Jango Fett, Boba, and a few others), I think the dictonomy is less problematic than some people think it is.

Mace Windu's comments seem to be best easily summarized as him talking about General Grevious always performing hit and fade tactics. General Grevious hides the central headquarters of the Confederacy, his own location is kept hidden, plus his entire armies position is never known at any given time. In fact, it honestly seems as if the Bulk of the Confederacy forces are a bunch of ghosts. Grevious himself is fighting the Clone Wars like its one gigantic terrorist fight rather than fighting it in a conventional military slug out.

Grevious himself is a hugely talented warrior but he's one whom picks his fights extraordinarily carefully. He's a "Desert Fox" so to speak and seems more interested in lightning quick use of surprise, atrocity, and overwhelming force against smaller foes than he is in overwhelming the Republic. We see him overwhelm Kidi-Adi-Mundi's group for instance but quickly departs as soon as reinforcements arrive. He doesn't stay and fight Mace Windu as soon as his objective is completed but attempts to make a quick getaway.

If we want to give a style to Grevious' command, I'd probably say he seems to be a master of misdirection. Mace's contempt for the General is thus extremely misplaced.

I do think that giving Tann the Supreme Commandership though instead of Grevious from the beginning is a mistake though. No offense to Tann but I consider Grevious THE Confederate leader.

20. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    I would disagree. It makes sense to me that Tann would have been the original Supreme Commander, given her status as a powerful Dark Jedi and Count Dooku's favorable comments about her to Darth Sidious in Clone Campaigns.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I just tend to place Grevious a little higher.

Tann, for all of her character, got killed by a relatively minor Jedi.

22. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    With the New Essential Guide to Droids coming out, that probably won't be necessary.

I asked Drew Campbell, one of the authors of FTD, about that scene, and he said they had in fact intended it to be a depiction of the IG-88s' Holowan murder rampage, but Tales of the Bounty Hunters came out soon after or around the same time.

You like me! You really like me! [face_dancing]

In all fairness, the movie was okay. The script seemed excellent and like it had a depth which the director just couldn't capture.

23. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>With the New Essential Guide to Droids coming out, that probably won't be necessary.<<<

Did the NEGtC give us all we needed to know about Boba Fett, and the Mandalorians? ;)

No, it took a full-blown article to give us the History of the Mandalorians, and I think that Iggy has enough background to make something at least the size of a Hyperspace supplement. Not to say that his entry in the NEGtD will be incomplete, but there are just some things that can't be fit on a page or two.

Of course, my opinions on the topic are almost certainly biased, since I also want a 4-5 page article on Mouse Droids... :p :D

>>>I asked Drew Campbell, one of the authors of FTD, about that scene, and he said they had in fact intended it to be a depiction of the IG-88s' Holowan murder rampage, but Tales of the Bounty Hunters came out soon after or around the same time. <<<

Interesting... Thanks for the info. :)

24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait, the Huks were more technologicaly advanced than the Keleesh. How do they use any technology with limbs like that?

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Vocal commands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.