main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memoirs of a Moderator: The Interactive History of the Mod Squad

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Paradise in Naboo, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Thanks for going out of your way to spend a few minutes posting that. The way out is over there...

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I love it when people show the love for the history of the board on which they post.

3. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm really loving this ... the sense of history, and everything. I'm listening to "Tales of a Jedi Knight" from the ANH soundtrack while reading these accounts. It fits the whole feel perfectly, wise veterans telling tales that are both enjoyable and educational.

4. clerk

clerk Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 2, 1998
    Get stinrab to post in this thread! Now there's someone who's been around for everything!

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Quite true. He's been here forever.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This is a great thread with some awesome insight. I'm reading it all up.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    and educational

Just how exactly?

8. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Are you serious? You may not find it that way because you've been here longer than many people who post here. For new users and even for people of my registration year, there's so much history that I've only heard about in passing. It's awesome to hear it from the people that were here to experience it.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I agree with you, but educational? It's interesting & fun to read about the past here (I'm amazed in what I remember & the fact that this is going to be muy 6th year here), but I wouldn't consider it educational. To educate is to learn something that will improve/add to your life. A user doesn't need to look at this thread or other similar threads in order to enjoy/improve their JC experience.

10. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    To educate is to learn something that will improve/add to your life.

I've learned a lot of things from this place's personal history and users myself, to speak personally. July 24th, 2003, the day I registered, was a very lucky day for me. So yes, the JC has improved/added to my life. And in a very major way.

I was never very social before I registered on the JC but now that I've been here two and a half years, I've really begun to learn a lot about what's proper socially. I don't think those people who are socially adept even realize what these unwritten rules are, but they have certainly helped me improve my rather clunky skills in RL.

The fact is, unlike RL, the JC gives me the advantage of everything being recorded, permanent (most of it anyway). I can go back and study any particular thing I wish- a perfect, unaltered version of it not tampered with by my own memory. In RL, memory is all I have, whether my own or others.

This thread teaches me a lot about other more intriuging things. Such things are ones I could not observe or participate in the memory of in RL, because the world of RL is a whole lot bigger than the world of the JC. The JC is a microcosm for many aspects of the world of RL, and I'm very pleased I can use the entirety of it as a mentor to help guide me in the labyrinth that is my own life, and everything ahead for it.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm glad that the JC has done good things for you, it's great to hear that, however the best way to describe my thoughts on this is by this phrase: To each his own. Whatever people here take from this place is great, because it's a positive thing in their life. It's happend to me too.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I knew Empress Palpatine before I ever got promoted. That was one hell of a hilariously twisted individual. Very funny. Very funny.

13. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Vert, great post!

14. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    But he has the memory of a goldfish!

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    At least he knows the time, DA. :p

This is so interesting to read! I've gone through every post. :D

[b]DarthSapient[/b] would be an awesome history to read, I've heard so much about his promotion, re-promotion, demotion, etc. ;)

16. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    There's a lot of stories I'd like to hear about.
    Not the least of which is HLaS as I never considered him a borderline troll. I'm pretty interested.
    Vert's stories are always fun. And I'm sure Sapient has a few yarns up his sleeve.
    Is it sad that I feel more involved now than I ever did when I was a mod? :p But seriously, this has been great fun participating in. Common grounds and what not.

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Oh all right. You dragged it out of me.

To start off, I visited TFN for the first time around 98. Then a year later I noticed the message boards and began reading them. I didn't own a computer at the time so this was once a month at a friends house. Then eventually I got a comp in 2000 but the internet was screwy at first. Several attempts to register failed. Finally a tried again with my new aol in October 2001 and it worked. I posted 600 times with my original username in a few days (so many years of wanting to say stuff) and then managed to get myself banned by Padme Bra for saying JediNet sucked or something worse than that. Then while banned, I created this username and began posting with it. I meant to switch back to my old name, but before I could, the name HookLineAndSinker was quoted by E Online for what I said about the new AOTC teaser trailer. So I couldn't turn back now that Hook was somewhat famous. So that was the start of my JC career. Apparently two wrongs made a right though in the end. :D

I also brought darth diarrhea (since I knew him in real life) to the boards. He's the guy who changed the image on cbjedi to goatse. So I'm sure you all can indirectly blame me for that years later.

Anyways, when I joined the JC, I mainly posted in the 2sa social thread. That's where I hooked up with the likes of EmpressPalpatine, Ewan Kenobi, Eeth My Koth, and other folks like G-FETT, RolandofGilead, TANTIV etc etc. I was granted access to that social lines ezboard community known as the Outlaw Base. There we said what we didn't want to say in the social thread.

I also managed to join the Dark Lords just because Dave (Ewan Kenobi) had it in his sig that he was one of them. So I was curious and joined. Plus I was a newbie looking for titles. [face_dancing]

At the very end of 2001, Ternian invited me to his ezboard spoiler community known as Kamino where I got to hang out with the insiders like Sith Interceptor and Perfect Dark. It was sweet getting spoilers before everyone else and taunting them with it on the JC. It was all pretty fast for just 2 months of posting. So when things like Silmarillions demotion came about, I of course was outraged though I barely knew her. With three boards behind me, I was kinda always on one side of the fence or another on some JC issue. It got really complicated sometimes.

Back to the social line, I think my trollish ways began when this idiotic girl came into that thread. I don't recall her name, just her friends name was lil_lisa. Anyways, the girl claimed to be from Scotland and said she had never seen a Star Wars movie though she was on a Star Wars message board. She would say the dumbest things. Most of us believed she was a troll and made fun of her over at the Outlaw boards. That is until one day, a few of us (me, darth diarrhea, eeth my koth, ewan kenobi, and empresspalpatine) got sick of her and decided to verbally remove her from the thread. So we sat in our msn chat (as we usually did) and coordinated a brutal flaming on her in the 2sa social thread. Well needless to say, she acted very upset (though I don't believe the sincerity of it to this day) and she was aided by the likes of Roland of Gilead who wasn't a mod at the time, but a member of the Outlaw base just like us. So when he yelled at us publicly, we took it as a betrayel and a hypocritical move considering on the outlaw base, we (including him) verbally bashed the girl every day. Of course he was right, we shou

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So that's the other side of the story, then.

Very fascinating.

19. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I am enjoying this thread. Interesting read. :D

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Hook, after your story I'm reminded of the saying, "the internet is serious business". :p

21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Very informative and nice reads. Nice to know what happened when I took my break from this place and some of the stuff I remember happening before I took the break.

~PK~

22. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to write up the long posts in this thread. It's been an amazing read so far, and I hope more comes from it.

23. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    dp's "hacking" was more of an inside job than anything else

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hook, two questions;

1. We both started off on the the 2SA Social Thread, yet I missed ALL of this drama! Where the hell was I? [face_laugh]

2. How on earth did you ever get made a Mod after a history like that? :eek: [face_laugh]

Oh BTW, the name of the Scottish girl on the Social Thread who kept threatning to kill herself was SELINA. I have no idea what happened to her in the end.

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Okay who didn't start off in the 2SA Social Thread?

If you did not please stand.

*sits down*

~PK~

Edit: Also this has made me realize that PSA people know drama best! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.