main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Retcons - good, bad, ugly...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ender Sai, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Hmmm...actually, I thought Luke's cave on Dagobah was the same cave Revan visits on Dagobah where there's a Dark Jedi that can become a part of your party and that the cave was always heavy on the dark side.

Yoda killing a darksider in there doesn't really bother me either way though.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Have you even played Knights of the Old Republic?

3. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    You're thinking of Dantooine, not Dagobah.

I actually don't mind a Death Star III, and I'm usually against this sort of thing. I especially like the idea that the Pentastar Alignment was behind it. Or-- maybe someone finally tracked down the Great Weapon.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Just for the record, how many Death Stars are there? is it four?

5. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I dislike the 3rd Death Star (it's a ride, c'mon), the Dooku clone, and the "Prophetess" from ANH being that chick from one of the Dark Forces games. I'm also not a fan of the notion that Mandalorians are coming out of the galaxy's arse when they were supposedly inactive, and that they've been made out to be some noble bunch of honor seekers instead of feared mercs.

6. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    000 corrected me. I was thinking of the completely wrong planet. Whoops. That's what I get for posting while doing five different things.

I have played KoToR but it's been ages, and for some reason I just conflated the two "dark side" caves. My bad.

7. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Yeah, I was being exceptionally bone-headed and somehow just combined the two planets in my mind.

Thanks for the gentle correction.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Ain't a big deal.

Death Star III?

[image=http://www.paulyoull.com/IMAGES/web%20pics%20big/Star%20Wars/SW5.jpg]

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I thought it was understood that Star Tours is N-Canon

10. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    There's never been official word one way or another.

Somebody ought to ask Chee over at TOS if there's any plans for it. And then watch him squirm. :p

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I think it's N-Canon, I'll add it to the list of N-Canon items.

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>> Somebody ought to ask Chee over at TOS if there's any plans for it. And then watch him squirm. <<<

Well, he did include the DS3 in his Death Star Timeline blog...

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    He did, didn't he? I just enjoy it when people ask him awkward questions, since he's a good sport about it.

Just thought of the most random and unnecessary retcon ever: Chi Eekway = Twi'lek. I still don't get it.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm mostly a fan of retcons that reconcile two disparate pieces of information - if it doesn't shoehorn in well, you just haven't found the right shoehorn yet.

15. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    I'm the guy responsible for the A-wing/Spearhead retcon, so this would be a good example to illustrate my personal approach to retcons (as seen in the NEC and other sources):

I put the "R-22 Spearhead" into C-3PO: Tales of the Golden Droid, published around 1998. At the time, the official line was that the A-wing had been introduced by General Dodonna after ANH. (IIRC, the gaming manuals for X-Wing were particularly explicit about the timing of its introduction.)

Of course, the Droids cartoon had already introduced an A-wing earlier in the timeline. Continuity error! Ignore, or retcon? (Deal, or no deal?)

Retcon! I figured this was a pretty minor point. Ignoring it wouldn't hurt continuity, but fixing it seemed pretty simple too, and I prefer a smooth tapestry whenever possible. Hence the vessel in the Droids cartoon became an R-22 Spearhead (which was itself a nod to the R-41 Starchaser , but that's another story).

What I didn't realize at the time was that the ship in the Droids cartoon had already been called out by name as an A-wing. Not to mention that, with the R-22 Spearhead being a relatively obscure reference, sources such as Empire at War couldn't reasonably be expected to name their ships Spearheads. Furthermore, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see A-wings in the new TV show, and I guarantee nobody will be calling them Spearheads.

So is it a wasted retcon? I don't think so at all -- hear me out. The original point was to avoid throwing out established EU canon (i.e. the introduction of the A-wing to the Rebel Alliance after ANH). We no longer have to do that. We do, however, have to account for the term "A-wing" prior to ANH. It's not clear when the whole "blank-wing" thing started, but the Y-wing seems pretty old, and I would speculate that the Spearhead earned the nickname "A-wing" soon after its introduction, even if wasn't formally sold under that name. Come on, it looks like a big A. O:)

Dan

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

That's quite true. It's not told when "before Yavin" the dart came out.

17. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    So... they use the real-world alphabet in parts of the GFFA? o_O

Thanks for the insights, though! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

18. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Sounds reasonable enough, Dan. I kinda like the idea of the nickname "A-Wing" being officially adopted, as such a thing is not unheard of in history. The P-51 was first given the name "Mustang" by the British, I believe, long before Americans started producing the craft for themselves.

As always, thanks for taking the time to clear things up yourself, and not responding negatively to those that raise reasoned questions about your work. Sensible debate is what makes these boards a great place to be, especailly when the authors themselves take part.

=)

19. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Of course they do!

Dan

20. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    That was a great blog, Dan, and summed up a lot of things I like (and don't like) about Star Wars and how the "space" factor is a sliding scale.

"Truth be told, it kind of bugged me too. I think it was because it was presented as an exotic drink, as if Lando had somehow entered our own universe and escaped carrying a packet of Swiss Miss"

Amusingly, hot chocolate was once considered the drink of royals while coffee was the drink of common folk since the one was rarer than the other. I thought it was a nice touch, tbh.

Besides, we all know that Lando escaped to our world just long enough to do some Colt 45 commercials and raise some quick cash which he then used to buy the Swiss Miss packets that he could sell for outrageous prices in the GFFA. Sort of like Japan and Levi Jeans.

It's true, I read it on a Wikipeedia [face_whistling]

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What annoyed me was hot chocolate's reappearance in TUQ as an exotic drink. Apparently, chocolate is now super-rare and grown on only one planet in the GFFA.:rolleyes:

22. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Holy Sith, he posts Wookieepedia links in his blog... May have something to do with periodic anon attacks.

23. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Yeah, that's a bit much, but I suppose it's better than having it be the super rare drink...hawt chaw'klet.

24. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I'm a giant fan of Wookieepedia! If I weren't busy with projects, I'd be a regular updater.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the "A-Wing=Spearhead nickname" aspect actually has been referenced somewhere officially, not sure fofhand where though.

>>Just for the record, how many Death Stars are there? is it four?<<

DS1
    DS Prototype
    DS2
    "DS3"

Then you have the DS offshoots like the Tarkin, Darksaber, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.