main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh! Oh! I know: a skifter. Does that mean you're doing a list of Star Wars gambling games too? ;) :p

Zuckuss-class uncanny. [face_mischief]

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    So much sin, so little time.

Zuckuss-class uncanny. [face_mischief] [/quote]Now that's uncanny.

Take care,
    Abel

3. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Nifty Yoda Stories pics. And that Holiday Special site seems to have named some other characters after names they were given in some old LFL notes. A nice reference for any folks with a knack for revisting the obscure in official works!

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually, when Belia Darzu was referenced in WotC's Dark Side Sourcebook, she was noted as wearing heavy armor, and a full-blown Sith Lord. This picture is of the iconic Dark Side Marauder, wearing the equivalent of a combat jumpsuit, which is light armor...

:-B :-B

5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Nonetheless, that is teh Belia :p

6. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Heh heh. No big. She just doesn't have on her heavy armor there. She is a changeling, after all. That might not even be actual clothing on her.

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Actually, just looking over the Evil Never Dies text, I realize something funny happened in my final edit of the piece. I originally had Belia chronologically as the first Sith Lord in the "New Sith Wars" section lineup, rather than the last. (A hint of this can be seen in the order in which I mention the Dark Lords of the New Sith Wars in the Ultimate Vader Guide). However, when Dan's manuscript for the New Essential Guide to Droids placed Belia hundreds of years closer to the Battle of Rusaan, I did some shuffling, and switched her spot out for the Dark Underlord.

As such, the DU got Belia's line:

"...he was a bloody marauder of the first quarter of the New Sith Wars."

e.g. Belia Darzu, the dark side marauder.

8. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    What sort of a shapeshifter was Belia? Shi'ido?

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed that she's labelled a Shi'ido in UAA.

I got a chance to read the article recently, incidentally-- excellent work, Abel. The Belia retcon was particularly inspired, as was the history of Adas's holocron.

EDIT AGAIN: Does anyone else find it interesting that shapeshifters tend to stick with a human appearance as a default?

9. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Presumably, as humans are among the most common sentients in the galaxy, it helps them blend in better.

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Yep.

Thank you, 000. Adas and his holocron were particularly fun subjects to address. I didn't know how in the world I was going to explain the Sith coming up with holocron technology that far back in the timeline convincingly. Then the Rakata came along.

It was fun to drag Adas' holocron through the ages. Some folks might say it's improbable, but that's why it's the story that gets told.

Belia, Ruin, the Dark Underlord, and (when he was in the piece) Darth Revan all went through quite a number of species changes over the years. It was probably the thing about the article I changed the most. At one point, the Dark Underlord was the shapeshifter, Belia was a Zeltron, Ruin was a Weequay, and Revan was a Wroonian. I think it turned out best this way (after Joe Corroney's History of the Mandos illustration, the Zeltron became the DU's second in command).

C'mon, we're clearly the sexiest race out there.

Honestly, maybe it's because humans are so bland-looking in comparison to other races... less shapeshifting work. ;)

Take care,
    Abel

11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    First Full Nude Scene in Star Wars!! :p

(Other than almost every Alien)

12. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    Cough, Darth Revan? o_O

:p

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally got around to reading this wonderful piece- once again, bravo, Abel!

Still skimming this thread, so forgive me if these comments have already been addressed:

>>It is implied that Flint committed suicide on Belderone after the events of the Jedi Academy game.<<

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that, with Lumiya vowing revenge on him and her being believed dead by the NR and Empire, his death was just disguised as a suicide when it was actually Lumiya who killed him (using a lightsaber so as not to reveal the possibility of her survival by using her lightwhip; not to mention a saber in Flint's hands is a more plausible suicide weapon than a lightwhip ;) ).

Also, Abel, I loved the description of Lumiya finding the grieving Flint in Bast Castle- inspired some neat visuals. I can just see Flint kneeling before a statue of Vader as Lumiya enters and kneels before another statue 30-40 feet away, then they finally shift their glance to their sides to look at each other as they come to that unspoken conclusion, turning their heads back to the statues before they rise up and activate their weapons and initiate the duel. :cool:

>>Sitll a great article by Abel - but its funny seeing overnight-idolisation going on here<<

Hardly overnight- Abel's been giving us quality continuilicious articles for the past few years. Emperor's Pawns, Dark Forces, History of the Mandalorians, Droids & the Force, General Grievous, now the Sith, etc.

On another note, I find it amusing the discussions of Chaos and it's connections to some of the characters' philosophies, as it mirrors the idea of a "Chaos Jedi" that came up in a SW RPG sim during my AOL days. Then again, a LOT of stuff from that one day coincidentally became part of continuity eventually, just funny to see that observed pattern continue after all these years, hehe!

Also, Abel, did you include Vongerella at any point in the genesis of this article and merely edited her out of the final version? Or is her absence merely a result of the "age" of the article preceeding Vongerella's creation for the Dark Forces Articles?

15. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seemed pretty obvious to me that, with Lumiya vowing revenge on him and her being believed dead by the NR and Empire, his death was just disguised as a suicide when it was actually Lumiya who killed him (using a lightsaber so as not to reveal the possibility of her survival by using her lightwhip; not to mention a saber in Flint's hands is a more plausible suicide weapon than a lightwhip ). <<<

I think I was reading too much into it. Yeah, all is probably not as it seems.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Fair enough [face_coffee]

17. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks 2ndQuest. :)

Good guess.

Getting Lumiya and Flint into a duel with each other to determinte the future of the Sith was one of the coolest things I got to do for this piece. In my continuity notes to Lucasfilm, I believe I cited the Darth Maul Journal as the source for vying Sith apprentices being chosen via duel and Resurrection as a kind of example of this.

You forgot Grand Admirals. ;)

There's no question that lots of fans know their continuity to a degree that rivals Dan, Pablo, or myself. I've seen it on these boards and in the winning What's the Story entries.

Yeah, I love stuff like that. Sometimes I'll be reading Dan's work, and he seems to pull continuity ideas right from my brain. I feel validated. :cool:

Yup, the original age of END had a lot to do with it. As I might've mentioned, at one point I did have Lumiya's apprentice in there, although this was before she was slated to return to continuity in a big way. The apprentice was originally going to be a Jensaarai. At one point Vongerella was in there, but I decided to play it a little closer to the vest.

The future, Mr. Quest... the future!

[face_peace]

18. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Also, the fight between Maul and Silus in Tales: Marked seems to be another example of the Sith belief in "survival of the meanest."

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Good point.

20. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Anakin Vs. Dooku, Luke vs. Vader, etc.... [face_mischief]

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Yup, only anakin vs. Dooku hadn't happened yet when I wrote that footnote, and I figured Luke vs. Vader would be inferred.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> The future, Mr. Quest... the future! <<

The future, Abel?

[image=http://duchovny.net/morephotos/conan01/cona033.jpg]

23. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    I've been there, and all I got was a stinking home appliance... [face_talk_hand]

[image=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/flicker404/DeLorean/mr.fusion.jpeg]

;)

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    In the year 2000, Abel G. Peña will write a book condemning Star Wars. Lucasfilm will label him an apostate, and declare all his Star Wars work non-canonical.

In the year 2000...

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

Is this before the Star Trek Wars and the Star Wars Trek?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.