main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evil Never Dies: The Sith Dynasties

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Halagad:

Indiana Jones in space? A novel I'd say is a long shot. Jocasta Nu was a Jedi explorer, though.

Raiders of the Lost Holocron! Corellia Antilles and the Temple of Dromund Kaas! Corellia Antilles and the Last Ar'kai! The Young Corellia Antilles Chronicles!

*Cough* Ahem. Sorry about that.

The term Force-sensitive actually comes from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, though the question remains the same: is one born Force-sensitive, or more importantly non-Force-sensitive, or is everyone Force-sensitive, and thereby potentially Force-strong?

Another possibility, the one suggested by the game mechanics of the two Star Wars roleplaying games, is that one can be born Force-sensitive, but one can also spontaneously develop Force sensitivity later in life. Training isn't even necessary, it seems: "When a character becomes Force-sensitive, they simply are suddenly in tune with the Force's mystic ways" (SWRPG2, p. 15).

As long as we're discussing the implications of game mechanics for Force users, there's also the concept of "Force attunement" seen in the game mechanics of the old SWCCG; it's a sort of "middle ground" between true Force sensitivity and the complete lack of Force ability among the nameless masses. I'd venture to say that this "attunement" is what the Anzati sense when they find a non-Force-sensitive like Han Solo to have particularly enticing "soup." Connecting it with other game mechanics, I'd also say Force attunement is comparable to having a character with "the full 18d of attribute dice" in WEG's roleplaying game, or having one's first level in a Heroic class in WotC's game. Given the progression in the CCG, if such a state as "Force attunement" does exist outside of the mechanics of the CCG, it's probably a necessary first step for someone to gain that spontaneous sensitivity.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Force attuned was meant to represent people with extraordinary skill or natural abilities that aren't a force-sensitive technique, ie: Wedge, Soontir, Thrawn, Han, etc.

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The2ndQuest:

Force attuned was meant to represent people with extraordinary skill or natural abilities that aren't a force-sensitive technique, ie: Wedge, Soontir, Thrawn, Han, etc.

Not exactly; it was more than just that, as it represented a sort of middle ground between Force sensitivity and the lack thereof. As Force-Attuned is described on page 39 of the Premiere rulebook, it's "a level of Force sensitivity that indicates minimal awareness of and strength in the Force, but no training." Thus, not only do "larger than life" mundanes like Han, Fel, and later incarnations of Wedge and Chewie have Force attunement, but characters like Leesub Sirln and Dice Ibegon, who definitely exhibited low-caliber Force abilities, also earned the term.

Of course, the needs of game mechanics often skewed that system, such that Premiere Leia and Two-Player Game Luke were both only Force-attuned, while Thrawn was actually Force-sensitive.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, I thought characters like Sirln's level was meant to convey abiltiies like telepathy, which may or may not be Force-related, though for game mechanic purposes, was given a level comparable.

5. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Hey Abel, did you by any chance have this guy in mind when you wrote about Darth Cognus?

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's also the Dark Jedi Master from the Champions of the Force expansion for the SW Minis game.

E_S

7. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Weird-- he's a Sith Lord in the Dark Side Sourcebook. Hooray for recycled art, I guess...

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So he's a Dark Jedi Master and a Sith Lord. Sounds familiar; sounds... like Ruin. [face_mischief] [face_thinking]

Except that he doesn't look like an Umbaran or a Nagai.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Nope. In fact, Millennial's master was originally conceived as a female in my mind.

I think Dark Jedi is a pretty loose term applied to any dark side Force-user that wields a lightsaber. It's basically come to mean darksider generally rather than fallen Jedi specifically.

10. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Wait... Didn't you say that you first wanted Millennial's master to be Darth Andeddu?

Or am I hallucinating?

That female doesn't happen to be a near-human with blue hair, does she?

/Charlii

11. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Nah. Marka and Finn are much closer to the PT era, only a few hundred years or so before Palpatine. (Dated by the author's intent and the GNK droid in the background.)

12. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Blast! Here I was all smug, too. :( ;)

Is Cognus a female, then? Or is it still up in the air?

As for Marka and Finn, I still hope those two stay away from the continuity.

13. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Those adverbs can sure get you in trouble. For clarity, Andeddu was one of my original considerations, but as originally submitted to Lucasfilm for approvals, Millennial's master was conceived as female.

;)

Personally the former and officially the latter.

14. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Hmmm... It appears that Belia Darzu was once a Dark Side Enforcer.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/SWmini/SWminiCOTF09enforcercardbk.jpg] [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/SWmini/SWminiCOTF09enforcercardfr.jpg]

This grizzled veteran of many battles has an affinity for the dark side of the Force, relying on experience and natural talent instead of formal training.

[face_thinking]

15. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Ooh, nice find! [face_mischief]

16. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    In other Sithly minis news, we now have a blue Massassi Mutant.

Possibly related to the green Massassi Night Beast or black-skinned King Adas? [face_thinking]

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Neat. Though they also use a chick who looks suspiciously like Visas Marr as a Jedi somethingorother, so I wouldn't take it too literally.

18. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    True, she's the Jedi Sentinel, and the Desciple is the Jedi Counsular and Atris is the Jedi Guardian. [face_tired]

The minis game isn't exactly known for its regard for strict canon accuracy, so I wouldn't particularly mind it if some of its elements were ignored. However, I think it would be even better if they were referenced... someday. :)

19. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    That is a neat find. I suppose there's not much in the lable of dark side enforcer, but the description of her as relying on natural talent instead of formal training is pretty cool.

Maybe his color is just fading. You know, how the massassi beast Exar Kun locks away goes from red to green.

In any case, pretty cool.

Good point.

Everything is always ammo for the exercise of the imagination.

Take care,
    Abel

20. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Just to recall, was Adas a Massassi Type Sith (Big and Hulky Ones we see in every Alien Guide) or a Normal Sith (Humanoid people we see in GOTS)?

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I'm not sure. He's described as big, that's for sure.

I don't think Adas would quite look like the Sith Lords from Golden Age of the Sith. Those guys are human hybrids. Would the pre-mixed Sith look more like the Massassi? That's reasonable to assume, but it's really anyone's guess what some future author will establish or even if it ever will be revealed.

Personally, I'd prefer Adas to look less like the humanoid Sith Lords and more like the Massassi.

22. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I suppose a mixture then, I just wasn't sure if the Massassi were mutated Sith or De-Evolved Sith....

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was under the impression that the term "Massassi" referred to Naga Sadow's troop of elite warriors. He calls the monkey-looking Sith by that title in the Golden Age of the Sith. I assumed that the crimson monstrosities of Exar Kun's day were just the remnants of Sadow's Sith alchemy on his own soldiers (maybe he got bored on Yavin IV one day and decided to play mad scientist).

24. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    That's what happens when Sith Lords don't have hobbies [face_mischief]

Anyways, if the Yavin Massassi are indeed de-evolved Sith, and hence the original form, then Adas would look pretty A$$ kicking, even without his armor:

[image=http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3383/adasfi9.jpg]

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Embarrassed to say just saw this thread, unless I've previously posted. The hilights of first page was excellent. Fantastic interlinking!

Nyssa? The Doctor's former travelling companion? Never knew Traken was in our galaxy? Lumiya has a Tardis, does she? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.