main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #5: Broken, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Well, because we're :-B of course :p I actually have some of the old D&D comics back when they were published, and as far as I'm concerned, your Khelben is the Khelben [face_coffee]

2. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    geez louise, randy. you are going on like a girl. could you not hear the southern sarcasm in my writing as i insinuated fault??? dood, if i was that pissed, i wouldnt buy it. i LOVE the legacy series to the point that it is a comic i am actually buying instead of reading off the shelf. if YOU were the problem with delivery, i doubt you would be here at all trying to defend it. my boys and i get pumped when the next date nears, my five is burning a hole in my pocket, and right before DH delays the shipment. i dont mind waiting but its the constant denial that is occurring. is it here? nope. denied. is this similar to what guys experience in the dating world? it sucks, randy. it just plain sucks. there is a problem in shipping and delivery or the deadlines are set too soon. i advise our school's yearbook. i understand deadlines and delays. but, it is driving us insane. that is all i am saying.

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'm wondering if maybe the first issue of a series/story is coming out too soon? I'm sure that the writers & artists are assigned to the project in advance of when it is set to come, so maybe just assign them a month earlier so they'll be able to get more done sooner and would not end up being rushed. And trust me, that's the last thing I want. I'm still upset that Christian Gossett didn't do the art for DLOTS #6, because the first 5 issues have some of my fave panels in them (specifically when Exar Kun was fighting with 2 lightsabers :cool: )

4. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    There are SO many factors that go into a book's delay and, sometimes, you aren't aware of them until the last moment. A slip-up at the printers? Minimum week's delay if not morel Printers keep their presses pretty busy so that, if the first printing date is missed for WHATEVER reason, it has to be fitted back in. Books can be held back at he distributors. and, yes, delays can happen at the DH end as well. I've noticed that during Convention season (especially SD), things often go blooey. (That's a technical term for those of you out there interested in such things.) Holiday seasons often do it as well. With SW, there's always the extra layer of LFL approvals which happen at EVERY stage. Another chance for a delay. And people get sick or something else happen. Sith happens.

Launching ANY new books always entails more work and especially when its as ambitious as we are with LEGACY.

All that said, we ARE trying to schedule for it. Issue 4 is an example. I've written issue 4 and it's my intention (and DH's, i beieve) that I keep writing all the issues. (Always with Jan's input.) Everything we have planned works into a larger continuity, one story playing into another.

That's the PLAN anyway.<g>

And -- yes -- communication sometimes might be better but most of the time it's not deliberate. As opposed to the times when I DELIBERATELY mislead folks about what's going to happen.<g>

Hey, everyone's got to have a hobby, right?<g>

Now, if I can just remember what I was going to CALL the next story. . .

-- John

5. dgxxx

dgxxx Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    Jhon...Jan take all the time you want! i think the fans will wait a couple of weeks more to have a really cool story!

keep up the good work! [face_dancing]

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Hey look! It's Jan's cover!

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/13/13456.jpg]

Very cool, and I love that whip! :D [face_dancing]

7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Nice! That looks awesome :p

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Interesting .....

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    A 'saber and a whip? I really had Maleval pegged as the kinda guy to fight mostly with the Dark Side, not tie up both his hands with weapons. :_|

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I agree that it make him look a little more thugish, but who needs hands when you have tentacles? [face_mischief] :p

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Looks great! :)

One minor problem, Jan. Quarren only have three fingers...

[image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Quarren.jpg] [image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/thumb/c/cb/AOTCtikkes.jpg/234px-AOTCtikkes.jpg]

12. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    The Dark Side is a pathway to many digits that some would consider unnatural

13. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    That is one awesome cover. I am really digging those slightly different stormies. Lookin good :)

14. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Actually, the 3-Digit Quarren wasn't adopted until around the PT, and for a long time they had 5 fingers with suckers at the end.

Jan certainly knows some of them have 3 fingers, as she herself drew at least one in the AOTC Comic Adaptation, but it's quite possible that the previousley established Quarren hands have been classified as another variant of Quarren.

Though I prefer the 3 Finger Quarren, both styles are canonical.

15. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Three fingered Quarren have been around since the very beginning, starting with Tessek in RotJ.

16. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    I went back and forth with two pieces of reference I had on the Quarren. Since the artist for the issue had designed his Quarren around the 5 fingered Quarren, I went with that for consistency. I prefer the three fingered Quarren myself...by 3 or 5 fingers, Maleval is still a nasty lookin Sith!

17. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    John, do you ever get tired of having to re-explain the compexities of delays every time the release schedule changes?

18. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    I just assume not everyone has seen the other posts I've done on the subject. I think of myself back when I was a fan only and not a writer as well. My basic questions were -- is it out when it's supposed to be out, is it by the usual team, do I like it? If the answer to any of those were "no", I didn't CARE what the reason was. Of course, we didn't have the communications network available now. I figure -- give some of the people possible reasons why the book is late, a look at what happens backstage, and maybe they won't mind as much.

I'll just add that NO ONE working on the book is IGNORING the deadlines. We're working hard to do quality work AND hit the deadline. That's why, from tome to time, we'll have fill-ins like issue 4. Except that I'm really working at using those stories to expand on the LEGACY era. You'll see what I mean as we go.

-- John

19. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    World-building is a huge undertaking is it not? Please accept my humble thanks for it.

20. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    thats one kickass cover ;)

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Mindflayers! [face_laugh]

Kahleen's violet, how I hated them. I didn't think I needed intell when creating my Shadows of Amn character, preferencing battle skills. Their attacks reduce your Intelligence attribute 8 at a time, I had 9. Dead in two hits.

Playing their dungeons was . . . fun. I ought to be praise me for beating them without spell cheating; a free CW9 will suffice. [face_batting]

22. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    ur such a geek - me loves you[face_love]:*

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Science fiction lovers are not geeks. It just means they have good taste, whereas the rest of the world has no qualms seeing the same police, legal, medical dramas time and again.

Or a show where guys date and kiss what they don't realise was a guy. Or Survivor 112: Kessel.

True, you get some spending AUD$1200 on air con stormtrooper suits to see AOTC, but that is no different to walnuts rushing to the salon for the latest Jenny Aniston hair look. No different at all, and actually quite laughable, that you could adore someone so much, the same someone who wouldn't spare a blink to walk past you. Why people would read about strangers on the other side of the world wearing a dress to an award show they'll never wear again perplexes me.

24. Darth_Calrissian

Darth_Calrissian Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2006
    IS that the pope on a Star Wars comic book cover?

25. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Ah, that explains it. Consistency is good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.