main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Marvel a Day Could Well Cause Sanity Issues

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You mean the cheap background prop and the cheap off-the-shelf mask they were forced to buy and then replaced as soon as they had the money to CGI it out? If Lak Sivrak showed up as a main character and existed solely to spout off wolf jokes and ripoff the Big Bad Wolf as much as possible, you might have a point.

However, what in ANH would lead you to believe that alternate dimensions, speedo-wearing space pirates, Bugs Bunny ripoffs, etc, exist in that universe?

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    What about goofy stick-like battledroids, robot-building insects, tiny reptiles, two-headed sports announcers, and a guy who looks like a leaf?

C'mon, there's room enough in this galaxy for everybody. ;)

TC

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Thing is, right:
    In a galaxy where you have a big furry monkey as your co-pilot, no-one can state a big green bunny wouldn't make sense.

However.

There's broadly two forms of comic art. The realistic type (like for instance the aforementioned Rip Kirby; no exaggerated noses), and the cartoonish type (Warner Bros, Disney, etc.). Star Wars art is almost always drawn in a realistic style. Surely back then it was. That's why Jax sticks out like a lightning rod; he's a cartoon character - he really does look like Bugs Bunny - where the rest is all much more realistically drawn.

4. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Somebody please retcon my bunny some more! He does look good smoking a big old stogey.

And Amaiza likes green. Can't you see Buxx in a speedo?? Sadly, I can.[face_hypnotized]

I'll be quiet now and let you get on with your Marvelverse already in progress.

5. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, I don't think this first story arc matched ANH very much at all. I think Thomas latched onto the Western-in-space feel of the Cantina scenes and decided to make The Magnificent Seven. I tend to think, with no insult intended to Thomas, that he may have not really "got" the serious ideas in the film, and equated the sci-fi stuff with the sillier views of sci-fi in the past. I also meant that without any sequel to make it seem like some epic tale, some Marvel writers could've been seeing it as a pop culture thing, and churned out a silly comic to just cash in on things.

It's after that first arc that Archie Goodwin takes over and steers it closer to the feel of the movie. This is only my guess, but I think Goodwin understood Lucas' point of view and had more appreciation for classical sci-fi. And I don't mean necessarily the look and design of things, but the whole "space opera" kind of thing. Thomas may have not viewed it that way, and thought of the comic as a job to not take seriously and have fun with. Honestly, was there any movie adaptation back then that lasted over 100 issues?

But, then again, none of that is a good excuse for the crappiness of this storyline...

I'm only going on so long trying to explain this because too many people use this silly storyline as an excuse to dismiss the entire Marvel series.

6. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Are we getting a review today?

7. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I can't wait till issue 59.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/0/0d/Mswc59cover.jpg]

Mmmm....Freudian. [face_hypnotized]

8. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    Tremors

9. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    ... the hell? I've never seen that one. Ought to be interesting.

Working on a recap now.

10. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    You mean you've never seen Lando and Luke attacked by a giant, barbed penis?

You haven't lived!

11. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    WTK is Lando wearing?

I'll leave it at that

12. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    I always liked the Luke and Lando stories. Thought they made a good adventuring pair. The return to Kiro's world among others. But they were always wearing matching outfits! The Correlian trilogy was a nice little throwback to that

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/3/3c/Mswc11cover.jpg]

Marvel Star Wars #11: Star Search

On the cover, Luke blasts some poor sea snake in the face. I think he was just trying to say "hi."

Archie Goodwin takes over this issue. I've heard good things about him; after last arc, he doesn't have very big boots to fill, anyway. A new artist has also stepped in, one Carmine Infantimo, who the Wooki tells me is responsible for the bulk of the next fifty issues or so. Terry Austin takes over on the inks, not that they matter a whole lot here.

We open with the Falcon mercifully leaving Aduba-3. Han, of course, feels the need to recount the events of the last... couple days to Chewie, who replies that he and the multicolored chicks from #7 had a very nice time, thanks, and would you keep all this from Malla?

Han concludes that, since they can't pay off Jabba (the Hut) anyway, they might as well head back to Yavin rather than risk more painfully lame adventures. Chewie vorps that Han's going soft; Han, of course, counters that it's shrewd strategy, because he doesn't miss the Yavin crew any at all. Chewie just rolls his eyes.

They come out of hyperspace a ways out from the Yavin system-- "well shy," Han says, figuring that they'll make sure the coast is clear of Imperial activity before heading in. There's no Imperial vessels to be found, but there is Crimson Jack's Star Destroyer, right where it was four issues ago. Chewie urrowks that Han is a great big stupid head, but Han blames Jack: the dastardly pirate must've snuck a tracer onboard when they weren't looking. Yeah, turns out you can't trust pirates, Han. (To be fair, Han's main complaint is he didn't pull that trick first. Which doesn't seem much more intelligent.) The tractor beam locks on, and the unlucky duo are brought aboard. Chewie asks what the plan is, and Han explains, for the reader's benefit, that he plans to lure Jack to Yavin so the rebels can take his cruiser over, presumably by floating all those cardboard cutouts that attended the awards ceremony over in packing crates or something. Han's smug plan is thwarted, however, when Jack drags out-- gasp!-- Princess Leia!

Jack plans to ransom Leia to back to Alliance for the location of their base, which he then plans to sell to the Empire. Unsurprisingly, Leia ain't going for it. Jack figures icing Han and Chewie'll chang her her mind, but the boys have other plans; Chewie cracks some heads together, while Han snatches a rifle and trains it on Jack's head. He says he has a plan that'll get both of them rich, so long as the pirate holds off killing him, of course. Jack, who's taking his crew's incompetence in stride, here-- agrees to hear Han out. And wine and dine him, to boot.

They move to the Captain's quarters, where a feast is laid out. After eating for a bit (and harassing Jolli, who's still itching to kill him), Han lays out his plan: he'll provide the route to the Alliance's secret treasure vault, so long as he gets to split the haul fifty-fifty. Jack, supicious, asks for proof that he can get Leia to cooperate-- why, I've no idea. Han lets Jack in on a secret: he rescued the Princess, and she fell in love. To prove this, he kisses her, mumbling all the while that she ought to play along, he's got a plan. She wants to know what his plan is; he replies that he's not sure, but it's fun. The longer the kiss, Han reasons, the more confused Jack'll be. Or something like that. Basically, Han just saw an opening and took it. Leia decides that, plan or not, enough is enough, and wallops him upside the head. She shrieks that he betrayed her feeling for him, and sniffles that, while she can't stop him from leading Jack right to Drexel (that place Luke went), she's sure Luke'll give Jack all sorts of trouble once they get there. Han's confused, and Jack's won over. What a sucker.

Jolli leads Leia to her cell. Along the way, we learn that Jolli hates

14. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    You'd think Luke's new rebel buddies would provide him with some new clothes...

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Maybe I missed this, but did we see how Luke got into the middle of an ocean?

16. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    He crashed after losing contact with Leia back in #9. They don't really elaborate beyond Threepio saying "all systems went dead."

17. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
  18. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    I have dug out my old Marvels and am now reading along. It is alot of fun to have them fresh in your mind and then hear trip's thoughts. If he doesn't mind I will start offering some of my own thoughts as well. Trip?

19. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Oh please do. I'm listening, due to your sexy icon choice. And 000 certainly deserves as much feedback as possible for putting up the thread in the first place.

20. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    The more, the merrier, I say. We should all join in this Marvel-lous experience. :p

I'm trying not to spoil myself (more than I've already been), though, so don't post ahead. Or black it out if you do. Please. ;)

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    "Crimson Jack still doesn't believe in pants"
    :D

22. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    I have read them but it has been awhile. I was going to follow the same schedule you have been sticking to.

23. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    [image=http://diy.despair.com/output/poster70025522.jpg]

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That rocks.

Poster size please!

25. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Sometimes a giant space worm is just a giant space worm.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.