main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    A major influence for me is Joe Kubert who I studied with at the Joe Kubert School. I've always thought Joe was a major influence on artists like John Byrne--so maybe that is what you are seeing in my work?

2. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Yeah, Ganner and Cade are both very cool (love drawing both of them). And don't we all have a thing for Skywalkers? [face_love][face_mischief] They are at your mercy--

Human or not (and we have not said for sure either way) Kee is very cute (MUCH cuter than Neva Kee) and hangs out with Chak. What could be cooler than hangin with a Wookiee? We'll be seeing Kee on stage very soon. Well, for me very soon--you all will have to wait a bit longer...

Glad you are liking Cade! Wait'll you see the final cover! =P~ ;) Heck, wait'll you see the issue! I think it is one of my favorites so far... Lot's of surprises in this one.

I just knew Draco was your type. ;)

3. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    Now won't it be great when some(future) famous artist comes up to you and says you influenced them.
    JN

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Stranger things have happened... :p

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey--

Just got back from the NY comic con. Had a great time. Cool seeing all the folks from Dark Horse. Fun sitting in on the Dark Horse signing on Saturday and the eFrontier signings too. Got to watch the show given by the NY Jedi during the last hour of the con. Very cool performance by all!

Real nice con and everyone attending seemed to be having a good time. Yeah, I'll go again next year. Gonna try to post some pics on my website--janduursema.com, in the next couple of days. :D

Best from NYC--

Jan

6. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I'm starting to think that nobody comes here because of the Pepto-Bismol pink...

7. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Could be... o_O :p

On a serious note, while i've been enjoying the past couple issues of Legacy, i realized last night as i was reading some of your issues of Republic in one of the "Clone Wars" TBPs how much i miss your art style. I'm always chomping at the bit anyway waiting for new Legacy issues, but between missing your style and John mentioning that some of the stuff you've done for the upcoming issues is amazing, i really can't wait!

8. Merlyn_Gabriel

Merlyn_Gabriel Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    well the pink is pretty abysmal. But I read the board a lot just don't have much to say apart from the standard gushing about how much I love your work.

9. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Hello, Jan-- Rebelscum has posted your cover for Legacy #13 already. It is amazing. I think it's Roan Fel, demonstrating how much sap he has left in him and not out of shape from sitting on a throne or anything. It also seems to be in surprising harmony to the art in Legacy 8 and 9. Amazing how you did that.

I was wondering-- the Darth K they mention in the preview blub, has he been shown to us in Legacy 0, or anywhere else, or is he totally new?

10. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Darth Kruhl is a new character with his first appearance in issue 13.

that's Roan alright. I always figured on Roan Fel being in pretty good shape--for an Emperor. Not only was he Draco's master but the leader of the Imperial Knights as well. Ben Kenobi may have no longer looked the part of a Jedi Knight physically in ANH, but the look in his eye when he took off Ponda Boba's arm told a different story.

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jan:

Can you shed any light on Legacy 0.5? Is it true that you are going to put out another "pre" issue to the series? If so, will it just be a update of #0 or contain new info?

Thanks!

--Adm. Nick

12. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003

Not only was he Draco's master but the leader of the Imperial Knights as well.
    [hr]

I'm confused. [face_confused] By referring to Roan Fel as Draco's "master," do you mean he trained Draco himself? I also thought that leadership of the Imperial Knights was a separate position from that of the Emperor - in issue #3, Fel referred to Draco as the leader of the Imperial Knights.

Something else that puzzles me - does Cade have a goatee, or is it just that he has sloppy shaving habits? It seems to vary from issue to issue. A nitpicky detail, I know, but still... [face_tongue] That would certainly be unique - a Skywalker with a beard! [face_grin]

13. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hey Adm. Nick--you know as much about it as I do... I'm always the last to know... [face_worried];)

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001

15. Elysiann

Elysiann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    Not that I am a big artist or anything, but Jan has influenced my art lots. Especially as I haven't come across a lot of professional female comic artists (well I don't anyway, maybe cause I don't buy heaps of comics) and that is what I aspire to.

What I admire most is the clean lines of it all, and the pencil you see under the colours, I always thought that comics HAD to have the inked lines, keeping it neat and uniform, but when you get the pencil texture happening, it just gives the comics so much more. I really admire artists who can keep it clean like that... I am far too impatient and very messy.

16. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    It used to be that comics had to have inks. Because of the way they were colored the inks were there to 'trap' the color. When color holds were first introduced we were all excited! Suddenly, we did not have to have a black line around the color!! It was still very limited though. I admit, I always found these limitations frustrating.

Nowadays, with the advent of computer coloring and better printing, comic art can be ANYTHING you want it to be--pencil, inks, washes--heck, it can be a collage of materials providing there is a way to get a decent digital image of it. It can be as clean or messy as the artist would like. Personally, I like to combine techniques on a page.

In one panel there might be pencils, inks and washes. I might pencil one panel 'clean' and choose to pencil another panel 'messy'--letting the smudges and lines tell part of the story. The first story Dan and I attempted using this combo of technique on was crazy! (Jedi: count Dooku) We were on the phone an average of 3 times a day. But we got used to working with certain combinations and layers--now, most times, it just works naturally.

I especially like pencil and washes for mist and clouds. IMO, the best way to get that softer look.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jan:

I had asked this question over on John's thread, but he has not appeared in a bit so i figured I owuld ask you.

Why did #9 refer to the GA as the "Galactic Alliance Remnant" instead of the Galactic Alliance Core Forces? I have noticed that Randy and other VIP's have been using remnant when refering to the GA. Did the term Core Forces get tossed out in favor of remnant?

--Adm. Nick

18. Elysiann

Dec 30, 2006
    ooooh, I have so much to learn! I am still working on drawing techniques.

Did you have any formal training or was it mostly self taught?? (prolly been asked a hundred times before, but I am too lazy to search :p)

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I think (and I could be wrong) that the Galactic Alliance Core Forces were pre-war and the GA Remnant is post-war.

Elysiann posted: "ooooh, I have so much to learn! I am still working on drawing techniques.

Did you have any formal training or was it mostly self taught?? (prolly been asked a hundred times before, but I am too lazy to search :p)"

I had a lot of formal training. I attended the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art to learn drawing and storytelling. Before that, I drew all the time, every day--as much as I could. It's still rare to find me without a pencil in my hand...and when I'm not penciling, I think about penciling. I know, I know...but if it's a sickness I don't want to be healed. I enjoy this too much!!!

I still try to find a way to improve every time I begin a story. I might decide to pay extra attention to eyes or hands or lighting. Or try to find a different way of telling part of the story. It's fun to keep the mind fresh and finding new ideas.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Jan:

Interesting. If you get a chance to ask Randy or John, could you let me know? Cause alot of us have been assuming that Core Forces was the name of the GA remnant.

Thanks!

--Adm. Nick

21. Elysiann

Dec 30, 2006

Thats where I am behind my contemporaries, I am teaching myself, gives my art a more niave quality, which I guess isn't a bad thing...

I know what you mean about pencil in hand... I scribble and draw on just about anything I can get my hands hand... which I have to do sneakily though, as soon as the kids see me pick up a pencil, they all start hanging off me like little monkeys!

22. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Could you shed any light as to how many Imperial Knights there are? Besides Cade, they are my favorite part of Legacy.

23. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    I've always wondered about other IK's. Although none of them can par Draco for awesome hawtiness. :p
    I've got to say though, Shado is pretty dapper himself. There's so many nice men in Legacy, it's one of the many hundreds of reasons I buy the comics. They are by far the shining glory in my comic book collection.
    :)

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Nick--My understanding is that the Core Forces are part of the GA military.

Elysiann--Yeah, there is something about the act of sitting down to draw which triggers the kid Spidey sense. Mom's taking time for herself? This cannot be!

horsey--not sure of the exact number of IK. Don't worry, we'll get there... I'm liking them a lot too! It's GOT to be that armor...

rhi-sparks--no doubt, Draco's got the attitude. Glad to see you are enjoying Legacy--and the...array of characters o_O within. :D

25. Nieber-Gon-Jinn

Nieber-Gon-Jinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2006
    Hey Jan do you know when we'll be seeing Naxy and Rav again? Can't wait for issue #11!
    JN