main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galactic Alliance Remnant discussion thread (Possible Legacy Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    RE: The crossfire and its visibility-- vessels can be and are equipped with holographic visual aides, you know...

2. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Yup, your right, that is one of Jan's. Forgot about that.

Very, very true...:)

That, sir, is all I'm really trying to go for. You've made my day.

3. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Sean, love the...inspiration conversation. Keep up the good work (and show us everything as soon as they give you back the key to the safe they put it in)

Perhaps the Crossfire's visibility was inspired by the big chunk of Durasteel front and center on the Moldy Crows windshield. After all, if the great Kyle Katarn doesn't need forward visibility, who does? :p

4. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    Sean, at first I didn't like the designs, but they steadily grew on me. The thing is..The Galactic Alliance designs really look like Star Wars, as well as the TIE-Predator. So far, my favourite is that shuttle.

I'm a very big fan of concept art. Is there a way we can get to see the Crossfire Concept art? : D

5. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Agreed. How long 'til The Awesome **** that Sean Designs shows up on bookshelves?

6. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Well, I myself would like to flip through a nice Designs of Legacy book. Perhaps if we drum up some interest, say directed at the folks at DH, we might get the ball rolling? :) I'm not quite sure thats how it happens in the publishing world, lol.

I'm sure Jan herself could fill a volume with the great images she came up with in the conceptual stages.

In all honesty, it would be nice to see that book become a reality, as it would really start to solidify Legacy's relevance as a real chapter in the Star Wars EU. If people are interested enough in your characters and stories to see a full fledged, behind the scenes concept book for it, you've done something right.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would love to see some sort of book showing the design development of Legacy. How the idea first got bandied about and how the initial ideas for the new time period slowly developed into the final product. That would be great, especially if it also contained a discussion on how the story and backstory was also molded.

8. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Not exactly ship based, but might stir some thoughtful comments...

As of the 130 ABY the GA is known as the Galactic Alliance Core Forces. I'm not sure if anyone has thought about the following theory or not. Anyways here are my thoughts regarding the term CORE added to the GA's name.

It may be that the Second Corellian Crisis/Galactic Alliance-Corellian Confederation War (40 ABY) caused the GA to lose control over the star systems of the RIM. In other words the galactic civil war might end with the Core and Rim being politically separated - thus prompting the addition of the term CORE to the GA's name. It may be the galaxy is divided in one of the following ways...

1. Galactic Alliance Core Forces
    2. Third Galactic Empire ( Emperor Roan Fel's government )
    3. Galactic Alliance Rim Forces

or

1. as stated above
    2. as stated above
    3. Galactic Rim Confederation

or it could be that the 'ghost' of the CIS from the Clone War era was reborn

1. as stated above
    2. as stated above
    3. Confederacy of Independent Systems

My point is that the GA might have been divided like the Roman Empire (the Western section and the Eastern section). The Rim fought for its independence from the Core starting with the Second Corellian Crisis. It could be that the GACF was run ultimately by Jacen Solo (Darth Caedus) and Admiral Niathal. Meanwhile it might be that in oppostion to Jacen's tyranny the big three and others set up shop in the Rim (or in the case of Jaina Solo - the Imperial Remnant). If this is accurate to one degree or another I love the play of irony. The GACF may be run by a triadic dictatorship while the Rim kept true to real democratis practices. Well just something to think about. It may be the comic book writers have further secrets beyond the ones we're currently mulling over.

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Acutally, John Ostrander answered my question about the name in his author thread.

Note that he said it is not official until they decide to put it in print, but it is a pretty clear indication of what they will probably end up clarifying in future issues.

"My intentions, subject to change (if I haven't put it in the book, it's not official, okay?) -- it WAS the Core Force prior to Caamas and BECAME the Remnant afterwards. No more GA so no more official fleet."

Essentially, the GA Core Forces probably were a catch all distinction for GA forces operating in the Core of the galaxy. Hence where Caamas is. :p

So, while the Wookieepedia assumes that Core Forces is the name of the GA's remaining forces, it is most likely that the term that should be used is "Galactic Alliance Remnant".

I hope that they clarify this in print soon. I would love to change the time of the article to Galactic Alliance Remnant. It just sounds cool for some reason. :D

--Adm. Nick

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree with you completely.

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, I have a hunch we will have the term Galactic Alliance Remnant clarified in early 2008, when DH steps back from the main story and start doing some one and two shot arcs.

Of course, in one respect DH already solidified the term. In Legacy #10 Emperor Roan Fel refers to Stazi as the leader of the "Galactic Alliance Remnant Fleet".

As I have said before, there is a certain cool factor to the term GA Remnant. One obivous reason is that it is a nice parallel to the Imperial Remnant of the New Republic-era. In also nicely illustrates how the galaxy has been turned upside down in the Legacy-era, with the GA going from galactic power to government in exile struggling to survive.

--Adm. Nick

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    http://www.rebelscum.com/comics/SWlegacy20.jpg

STAR WARS: LEGACY #20
    JOHN OSTRANDER (W), TBD (P), BRAD ANDERSON (C), and DOUGLAS WHEATLY (Cover)
    On sale Jan 16
    FC, 40 pages
    $2.99

A new two-part story begins as one of the Sith?s most wily opponents risks everything to gain ground against the Empire!

For seven years, outlaw Admiral Gar Stazi has led the remains of the Galactic Alliance in hit-and-run operations against the Sith-led Empire. When word reaches him of a nearly completed, top-secret Imperial construction, he gambles his entire fleet to seize the project and turn the tide of war against the Sith!

Last Stand of the Galactic Alliance!

God I love Legacy. :D

I just hope that "last stand" is not literal! Cover looks amazing, blurb is exciting, and it has Admiral Stazi!

--Adm. Nick

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I just hope it isn't a superweapon that Stazi's trying to steal. I'd prefer what's left of the GA mainatin a moral high ground. If its just a really big ship, then I don't mind.

And random question, but are the Scythe's lasers supposed to be green? I thought Rebel ships usually had red lasers. Then again, now TIE lasers are red, and checking my Broken TPB the shots that blew up Cade's fighters were red too. Unless this was already shown earlier and I just didn't notice, in that case, sorry for being dense.

If only the only actual fleet battle seen so far wasn't in blue holo, this would be easier to keep track of.

But yay, nice to see the GA again, haven't seen enough of them in this time period.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It is nice to see little things like that mixed up visually. My take is the before the Sith-Imperial War Master Kol Skywalker petitioned the Alliance Senate to change the laser color of all military units in the Defense Force. The Jedi wanted their favorite lightsaber color (green) to match the lasers on all Alliance capital ships. :p

At which point, in a effort to bring the Sith onto their side, Calixte and Veed changed all Imperial warships to red lasers. [face_idea]

--Adm. Nick

15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    [image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/14/14883.jpg]

In light of recent events, Darth Krayt deems it time to teach a lesson in obedience-to the entire galaxy!

Emperor Krayt is displeased, and the price of betrayal will be exacted from an entire race, their suffering rippling to the edges of the Outer Rim. Yet his wrath will not stop there, as even among his own ranks failure will be dealt with cruelly and with lasting results. Old allegiances will be tested, and new bonds will be formed through pain and anger.

This is what happens when the Sith rule the galaxy!

The unfettered fury of the Sith!

Publication Date: Mar 12, 2008
    Format: Full color, 40 pages
    Price: $2.99

Hmm, a squadron of CF9 Crossfire starfighters. Maybe the GA will get a bit more action after #21-22. :D

--Adm. Nick

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    New GA info, thanks to Legacy #0.5's section on the Alliance Remnant.

The fleet that escaped Caamas was the Alliance's "Core Fleet", which according to the issue was charged with "protecting Coruscant and the Core Worlds". I am guessing that the Core Fleet was a large scale command encompassing several of the numbered Alliance fleets. Kinda like the U.S. Pacific Fleet includes the Third and Seventh Fleets. Which gives us an idea of Admiral Stazi's position. At the very least, he was the overall commander of the forces which protected the heart of Alliance Space.

The Scythe-class is described as being a third the size of a "Imperial Star Destroyer", making it 533 meters in length and about 300 meters tall. It is described as being a formidable opponent for Imperial forces, with the section where the large blade and the main hull intersects described as the "cross of fire". Apparently it is the last thing that many Imperial captains see. It is armed with torpedo tubes and turbolaser batteries.

One big suprise was the fact that the Sabertooth is NOT the Alliance frigate. According to this issue, the "Galactic Alliance support ship" is actually the Sabertooth-class assault/rescue craft.

The frigate is therefore once again without a class, described in the issue only as the "Galactic Alliance frigate". One cool bit was the fact that the frigate's smalle,r front prong can be outfitted with numerous fixtures, including "long-range sensor pods, communications jammers, or barrage missile launchers."

In terms of artwork, there are some great new shots, including a full color one of three CF9 Crossfire starfighters engaging three Predator starfighters. There is also a cool sketch of the three GA capital ships (battle cruiser, frigate, support ship) side by side.

And, best of all- finally we have a symbol for the Galactic Alliance. :D

It is kinda hidden at first glance among Sean Cooke's beautiful GA fleet painting. But look a bit closer, and you notice each Alliance battle cruiser has a red GA crest.

I love the design- It is the traditional Rebel crest, with five stars or dots below it, surrounded by a ring. Simple, elegant, and instantly linking the GA to the earlier New Republic and Rebel Alliance.

In all, I was more than happy with this issue.

--Adm. Nick

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Nothing, huh? :p

And I thought my anology of the "Core Fleet" to large scale commands like the U.S. Pacific Fleet or Atlantic Fleet (even though the Atlantic Fleet has since been renamed) would get some discussion going.

--Adm. Nick

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    A...a GA symbol...a GA CREST??!!! APPEARING IN LEGACY FIRST?!!! AHHHHHH!!!

Must. Buy. Legacy .5.

19. Lord_Boney

Lord_Boney Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2007

The entire Core Fleet present at Caamas? I find this most unusual. According to Inferno, the Alliance has around ten or twelve fleets, five of which were present at Kuat. How is it possible that around half of its entire navy is devoted to fighting one battle? the same goes for the Battle of Caamas. how could around half of its entire navy be fighting one battle? What about the tens of thousands of other worlds needing protection? Is the Alliance simply vastly more demilitarized then the Empire, or is there some other factor at work?
    Ah, and are the Core Forces now officially named the Alliance Remnant?

Let me see if I understand you correctly. Its essentially a New Republic isignia, but with only five stars surrounding it? Hmm...I confess myself dissapointed...they could have come up with something more creative...

Hmmmm...Is there any new info on the Empire? Any new pictures? The Alliance Remnant is all well and good, but the Empire is entirely on a different level...:)

20. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I think he meant escaped Caamas as in "wasn't present to get whooped", not "fled the battle". I'm assuming their other forces were defeated elsewhere in more minor engagements or earlier in the war.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'd have to dig out my copy of the issue, but I'm pretty sure that Imperial Captain Stazi was negotiating with said that Stazi's fighting retreat from the Battle of Caamas was legendary, meaning that he was there. Anyway, considering Caama was the last chance to save the GA, then the GA navy commander had better be there. And if the fate of the GA is at fate, then it isn't too hard to believe that they'd throw all their fleets into the battle.

And ooh, I've got to find a copy of .5. My local comic book store sold out by the time I got there (and that was Wednesday afternoon!). Time to raid places other than my local comic book store, then.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    BobMatt:

Yeah, finalyl having a symbol makes my day. The Galactic Alliance has been around (in real life) for like half a decade. Way to long to wait for a symbol!

Lord_Boney:

As of Legacy of the Force, the Alliance has nine fleets. As for the Core Fleet, there is not any information thus far as to how many of the numbered fleets it contained. For all we know, the Core Fleet contained only two fleets? Afterall, If there is a Core Fleet, odds are there is a Mid Rim Fleet and a Outer Rim Fleet. (In know there are more regions, but the Core Fleet could easily include the Colonies, while the Mid Rim Fleet could cover the Inner Rim and Expansion Region.)

Perhaps at Caamas elements of fleets from the Mid and Outer Rim were recalled to the Core? They bore the brunt of the losses, while Stazi was able to keep a good protion of his own Core Fleet alive long enough to stage a fighting withdrawl when the battle tunred south?

As for the GA symbol, I am a huge fan of continuity with the Rebel and NR symbols. Besides, the NR symbol itself was nothing more than the Rebel symbol surrounded by stars.

Also- I checked again, and I noticed the GA symbol has little "notches taken out of the lower portion of the Alliance Starbird. Nothing big or drastic, but at least it is a bit different.

Maximillian-Veers:

The text seems to imply that the Core Fleet fought at Caamas. Besides, even if the fleet escaped, that does not mean it didn't suffer some pretty high losses.

--Adm. Nick

23. luec3493

luec3493 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2002
    the feeling I get is that the Battle of Caamas was a double ambush The allaince main fleet was sent in to ambush and destroy a major section of Veed's fleet based in the system. However Veed had planned on having the rest of the imperial grand fleet ambush the attackers. and destroying the allaince main fleet. my Idea is that the stazi's core force was a second wave sent in to follow up the attack but He get in system after veed's fleet but before the Imperial reserves get into the battle. so he fought his way through the reserves and prevent elemants of veeds main fleet for caughting up to him during the retreat. also it was the civilian allaince government who ask for a cease fire because they friguared that the Empire was going to get to the core before any of the outer regional forces could reach a postion to defend the core worlds.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Your overall hypothesis is not bad.

However, given Caamas proximity to key Alliance systems like Coruscant, Chandrila, and Kuat, I imagine that their Core Fleet was the fleet in action at the battle. My guess is once Veed's main force arrived that Admiral Stazi fought his way through major opposition to escape with a portion of his fleet.

The real big question for me is whether Stazi left before or after Veed claimed the GA fleet surrendered. My hunch is that Stazi disobeyed orders to retreat from the overal GA commander and in doing so saved the Galactic Alliance enough forces to form the Alliance Remnant.

I hope some of these questions are cleared up in Legacy #20-21.

--Adm. Nick

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's more likely Stazi became a legend by refusing to surrender and fighting his way out than by retreating before the battle was over -- that's a little harder to praise.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.