main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens of the Empire (Part 2 now up)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I never said it was. I commented from the Imperial xenophobia of the opening post and how the Emp could begin it.

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The opening post, and the post immediately preceding your first comment on the matter, were both about the *article's* treatment of Imperial xenophobia.

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Then perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but yes, I've seen enough dialogue from mission control over the years that says the Emp harnessed the fact that the rebellious confeds were heavily alien. I was not directing referencing the article I haven't perused.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Well that's what I was asking about, Excellence. Because it's an "Aliens of the Empire" thread.

In any case, the Chuckverse is characterized by

* A Controlling and Decadent Core
    * An Evil and inefficient Empire

Get it right guys..

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not quite- Zam turns into a Dug at one point in JF/ZW, IIRC.

I'm not catching the reference, perhaps I'm mispronouncing it?

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Think Raiders.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Not quite- Zam turns into a Dug at one point in JF/ZW, IIRC.<

She does, but this contradicted what either Gamer or TNEGTC (I can't remember which one was the original source) had established/would establish about the Clawdites as a whole, that is, unlike the Shi'ido, they cannot change their body mass. As a retcon, the NEGTAS stated that Zam's abilities were unique, possibly achieved through some kind of implant or deft waste/mass management.

TC

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    What TC said. Gamer established that the Clawdites were skin-changers, and not full-fledged shapeshifters like the Shi'ido. I was glad to hear that the NEGtAS explained that seeming error in the Jango comic.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks,

Glad you approve, Rogue.

Rich came up with that name. Has a great ancient Egyptian quality, doesn't it?

Yes there is. I believe you can look out for the next part before the month's up.

The prequels have forced a re-examination of Palpatine's attitude toward aliens. This is something we wanted to touch on in the print article, though for reasons I won't go into, we were only able to do so in the supplement.

Moore's a very cool character. Some of the bits on her that were scrapped from the print article were salvaged for the supplement.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever written anything that didn't have a reference to the Glove of Darth Vader. Might be tough for the project I'm currently working on, though... ;)

Ah, I wish. Not that we didn't try. Rich and I had long ago written backgrounds for Trioculus and Hissa, but LFL unfortunately nixed their inclusion in this series. I'm just as sad as you.

QG's formidable logic skills not withstanding, TC has rightly read between the lines on this one: Triclops all the way, for said reasons.

Since we originally wrote this piece back in 2004, i.e. before Revenge, the Triclops tie-in was a fairly recent addition. I felt something was really missing from Hoole and Gog's story after writing it, and then inspiration hit.

Heh. :D I hadn't even noticed that.

He'll be back in a bigger way soon. ;)

I *think* I know what you're referring to ... the fact that Sarcev is referred to as the "Chancellor's confidant"? Actually, if you go back to the Emperor's Pawns, you'll find that, while the second paragraph makes reference to Sarcev working the "Imperial court," the first paragraph merely says that Quest was "rescued from monotony [a.k.a. the AgriCorp] by Palapatine" ... i.e., not "Emperor Palpatine." My early drafts of the Emperor's Pawns actually had "Sena

10. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Ah! Thanks for the clarification re Sarcev Quest....off to change Wookieepedia.

And yeah, I kinda guessed you meant Triclops, I was just being faceious... ;)

11. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Indeed, it does.

Boo Insider and/or Lucasfilm! Whoever it was that tied your hands on getting to the meat of the Empire's relationship with aliens in an article on that very topic, they deserve negative reinforcement.

Unless it's something REALLY off the wall, I'm sure you'll find a way. There's stuff in those books that go back almost to the founding of the Republic, and there are aftereffects that can easily stretch into the Legacy era and beyond, with spatial reach all across the galaxy.

Boo, redux!

This was originally to be Polyhedron material, I presume? Anyway, it was indeed an inspiration you received. Finally, we have a decent idea as to the truth of him being the Son of Palpatine.

Huzzah! Hopefully he'll be back with at least a little exploration of the Gektls . . . it's no secret I'm a Tiss'shar lover, and the Gektls are outwardly a quite similar race. They're definitely a species I'd like to know some more about.

12. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Now the nitty gritty...doesn't Triclops being conceived while Palpy's Chancellor make him, at most, 37 in GoDV. I seem to recall him being significantly older...unless it was just the white hair.

Niobi though, awesome name for Triclops' mother. Now Abel, you need to give us more backstory on Kendalina... ;) Though I'm partial to my theory...

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    IIRC, his hair had turned white from shock treatments or somesuch.

TC

14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Since your idea was nixed, what did you have planned for Hissa and Trioculous?

15. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    wait, I thought Triclops was the son of Palpatine, so wouldn't Niobi's child be Trioculus?

Where in the article did it call Ap-Llew whatshisname a Pas'sic?

OK, here's an attempt at listing the Imperial aliens:
    1) Bin Essada, Regional Governor (read: Grand Moff) of an Expansion Region oversector with its capital at Gyndine, inc Mimban; SOTME indicates he is at least partially of near-human descent, with pink eyes, although he apparently poses as pure baseline human

2) King Blackart, Imperial-patronized King of Solay, although he ruled the planet before the Imperial Regime (since around 46 BBY), deposed c. 4 ABY after Endor, at which time he was allied with the Imperial Remnant (assumedly the Isard/Lumiya faction, but who knows); from Marvel SW 89; an alien of unknown type; Solay had a mixed population of humans and multiple aliens, but I never saw any aliens in the comic who looked like him, so I doubt his species is native to Solay

3) Bot, henchman of unknown species serving Cpt. Grammel in SOTME on Mimban, but not a Mimbanite (nor Coway), looks reptilian in comic

4) Cromag, gladiator who fought prisoners of Moff Bandor, species unkown, The Game Chambers of Questal, species name and homeworld unknown

5) Darth Vader's shapeshifting "secretary", telekinetic "valet", and Rigellian "porter", actually assassins, from Marvel SW 48

6) Demos Traxen, snakelike Imp bounty hunter, GG10

7) Dr. Xathan, Imperial archaeologist, reptilian, Marvel SW 84

8) Ssssk!, telepathic feloid, adjutant to Cpt. Drezzel, Marvel SW 84

9) Sk'ar, absolutely massive Imperial General of unknown race, Marvel SW 53-54

10) Inquisitor Sancor, antennaed Inquisitor of the nascent Empire killed by Kenobi on Polis Massa, Last of the Jedi #2

11) Fraal, apparently semi-sentient canoid Imperial assassin, Enemy of the Empire

12) Lumus, pink-skinned alien Imperial assassin, Enemy of the Empire

13) Bertroff Hissa, partially near-human Grand Moff, Glove of Darth Vader series

14) Gwellib Ap-Llewff, near-human Jedi-turned Inquisitor, Dark Empire, Evasive Action: Recruitment

15) Kosh Kurp, Imp bomb inspector, of a blue-skinned humanoid species from Intuci

16) Riklon Tost, head of the IGBC's Iotran Guard under the Confederacy and the Imperial Remnant well into the NJO order, GATORW

17) Baniss Keeg and Ellorrs Madak, Duros Imperial pilots, ANH and CCG

18) Ic-ohaf Freesky, Sullustan operative for Cdr. Liam Byrne on Corellia, SW Galaxies

19) Gauer, possibly Kiffar Imperial agent, Empire: Betrayal arc

20) Pollux Hax, humanoid Imperial propoganda chief, Illustrated SW Universe

21) the Suprema, Shimholt officer, already covered by Abel

22) B. Gog and M. Hoole, Shi'ido scientiests, already covered by Abel

23) T'iaz, humanoid DS Adept Empire's End

24) Waru, Empire Reborn ally of unknown extradimensional race, Crystal Star

25) Kadann impersonator, Bimm II agent, Glove of Darth Vader series

25) Jedgar impersonator, Null II agent, Glove of Darth Vader series

26) Dragon Troopers, Bormterran soldiers of an Imperial Warlord, Dragon magazine (not really canon)

27) Ambassador Furgan, Caridan Imperial Remnant leader, JAT

28) Del Korrot, Cerean Jedi-hunter, DSSB

29) Kassek-ka, Codru-Ji elder, Legacy comics

30) Rokur Gepta, Croke Sorcerer of Tund, Lando trilogy

31) Defeen, Defel Interrogator 1st Class, Glove of Darth Vader series

32) Prince Za, Defel on Interim Ruling Council, Crimson Empire II

33) Lord Manos, Devish on Interim Ruling Council, Crimson Empire II

34) Villar, Devish Imp infochant and architect, Rebellion game

35) Dorai, Duros Imp transport pilot, Platt's Starport Guide

36) Yun, Epicanthix Inquisitor's apprentice, Dark Forces: Jedi Knight

37) the Fairfolk, weird ethereal floating Jawa-like beings who served Vader, possibly native to Dantooine, SW 3-D #3

38) Hethrir and Rillao, Firrerreo Imperial Dark Jedi, Crystal Star

39) Zsinj, Imperial Warlord, okay I can't prove he's alien, but NEGC says he's from Fondor, and the Darth Maul book indicates Fondorians ar

16. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    wait, I thought Triclops was the son of Palpatine, so wouldn't Niobi's child be Trioculus?

Niobi is a woman.

Where in the article did it call Ap-Llew whatshisname a Pas'sic?

Nowhere.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    You've missed Vengnar Heiff.

Sir Vengnar Heiff.

[face_shame_on_you]

18. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Seems like some of these aren't really "Aliens of the Empire" but people that were somewhat related to the workings of the Empire.

For example, all the aliens you listed from "Enemy of the Empire" are just scum that are waiting to be executed, but Vader just recruits them to keep an eye on Fett since they're expendable. Also, should straight up servants be counted in this list? Tremayne's bodyguards and Cromag aren't really "Aliens of the Empire" in the sense that the Suprema and Rahz are. They don't work for the Empire willingly. Also, it should be noted that the Aliens included in CEII were only involved in the Empire because the Remnant was on its last leg and decided to put aside its xenophobia in hopes of reviving the Empire. Should Chiss in the Empire of the Hand count? That's not really the "Galactic Empire" and definitely wouldn't employ its xenophobic beliefs.

19. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Tremayne's bodyguards don't serve the Empire willingly, are you sure? I was under the impression at least one of them HATED the Alliance.

Some of them are more strictly "Imperial" than others,I tried to make the list as thorough as possible.

Niobi is a woman in whom, as I understood the article, life was spontaneously created without a father, not impregnated by Palpatine. I could be wrong though in my understanding. If Palpatine and Niobi conceived him naturally, it alludes me how the scientists were "spontaneously creating life." I thought Palpatine was trying to have them use science to mimic the creation of Anakin.

20. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Niobi and Palpatine didn't conceive naturally. That's the point of the article...

What is likely, however, is that Palpatine's genetic material was used in the experiement, making Triclops Palpatine and Niobi's "son", though not in the strict biological sense.

21. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Most impressive, jSarek.

My footnote for Niobi's name:

"George Lucas loved the show Rome, according to a TV Guide interview."

Of course they've got a Vatican thing going on.

Honestly, we must've overlooked that. But at the same time, I think we considered the name "City of Bone" to be symbolic, more for effect than real accuracy. Or put another way, the mythosaur is so big, it might reasonably be considered on par with a city--it just happens to be in Keldabe.

Believe it or not, I commented on this name to Rich about three years ago, and he told me, "Say it aloud." So I tried it, and I thought, "Stuff ... Staff UV Rays? What the hell does that mean?" My Indy license was immediately revoked.

Well, to be fair, I think it's more accurate to say that we've muddied the waters, which I think suits Palpatine better. In essence, the position of Aliens in the Empire is that Palpatine may very well be a speciesist; as the introduction states, there may be a "grain of truth" in that accusation. And we insisted on the mere possibility of that, because to insist in its mere possibility is enough. Palpatine is the embodiment of evil, and as such, the possibility of being a speciesist suits his mythological persona.

However (and here's the more chilling phenomenon, if only abstractly), if he is a speciesist, it is a quality of his character so subordinate to his colossal lust for power that it may as well be non-extant, having little to no bearing on his decision-making ... almost like a vestigial trait left over from his time as a "normal" person, now that he's evolved into a Sith magnus and eventually (at the very least in his own mind) a vessel of pure power, of pure dark side energy, as we see in Dark Empire.

And yet quaintly, all-too-humanly, nigh-incomprehensibly, and monstrously, a petty speciesist he is (if he is).

Make sense?

It is this class (or species, if you will) of vulnerability that is Palaptine's undoing in Dark Empire. And that's high drama.

Best,
    Abel

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hey, I'm not complaining. Star Wars needs more...Vatican...things. :p

23. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Just FYI Cilghal, we've got a list of Imperial aliens at Wookieepedia.

24. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Heh heh.

I think part 2 will actually be a little longer than part 1. At least one of the characters set to appear has already been mentioned here.

Well, it's not just me writing the series ... so I'll blame Vengar's absence on Rich. Ha!

Seriously, we tried picking Imperial aliens that A) Had publishing seniority, and B) Were memorable. The second condition might seem arbitrary, but strong writing and/or multiple appearances have a way of sorting out the somebodys from the wannabes.

I concur.

Can we just say, everybody and anything that wasn't Palpatine?

Rich and I have nice backstories for Hissa and Trioculus already written. Alas, if they appear, it will be in some future publication.

Sk'ar, yes, hmm...

A valid point. My defense: I'd written Gurlanin, which I thought made good sense, and LFL changed it to Clawdite.

That's a good thing, right Ms. Coffee?

Works for me! :)

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Heh, I stand corrected. Overanalysis FTW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.