main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    I'd say that's about right for Roan.

2. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Not just you, I'd warrant. Maybe we should do a poll...:p

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Thanks! I was very curious about that. Wait, if Roan is in his mid-fifties...then how old is Sia?

4. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Sia is about 18. Roan would probably have been in his late thirties when she was born.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Whoah, that's a lot younger than I would have pegged her for.

6. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    When we first meet Sia, she is still an apprentice Knight and has not taken her trials, so 18 is about right for her. But she has a very mature attitude, having had to take on diplomatic duties and such in her role as princess of the Empire.

7. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Which actually follows a Star Wars tradition set down by Princess Leia (VERY mature and a Senator at 18) and Padme (Queen at 14, later Senator). I like the tip of the hat that Marasiah makes to that regardless of what genetic ties she may or may not have to it. I imagine the Fel line would expect early responsibility and maturity all on it's own, just given the examples of Soontir Fel, Jagged Fel, and Jagged's siblings.

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Absolutely right. Plus, Marasiah most likely had to take on some of the formal court duties a Queen would normally be responsible for, since momma is not around. She would have had to learn manners and responsibility from when she was quite young. I see Marasiah as being a very wise young woman who definitely knows her own mind.

9. Ceth_Jonuck

Ceth_Jonuck Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2006
    Hey Jan, just got latest Legacy...couple of questions. I highlighted them though...for those who don't want to be spoiled.

1 - Is the saber that cade grabs at the end Kol's? if so, why is depicted as green and not blue as seen in Legacy #1? Is that really Kol's saber with just a green coloring mistake? Especially since the next issue called 'face off' shows cade clashing with krayt with a blue saber.

2 - Did Talon really bite it this time?

Thank Jan, amazing issue as always...you guys are simply awesome. There has yet to be a 'eh' Legacy issue, never boring, always a thrill ride. God bless...<><

10. Antares_Draco

Antares_Draco Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2007
    Following the discussion of Sia being 18. How old are Antares Draco, Ganner Krieg and Sigel Dare.

OMG tell Darth Talon isn't dead.

11. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001

So glad to hear you enjoyed the latest issue of Legacy!

Answers to your questions--

1--In issue 12, when Cade received Kol's saber from Nei Rin, she explains she replaced the blue crystal in Kol's saber with a lambent crystal she made since the blue one burnt out when Kol fought the Sith on Ossus. We see Cade use the green bladed saber earlier in this arc. Hopefully, the saber color was resolved on the final cover.

2--Talon? Gotta wait for issue 19...[face_devil]

12. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    These are only estimated ages of course--

Draco--around 25
    Ganner--a bit younger
    Sigel--I see her as older than them, but not sure how much older.

13. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Jan,

Being an equal opportunity employer of aliens in your backgrounds, have you ever considered including a Child of the Green Planet in the background somewhere? If not, PLEEEEEEASE! ;-) Throw one in a cantina or spaceport scene, tatoo one up and Sithify one or throw one into Stormtrooper armor (*waddle waddle* Let me see you identification! *waddle waddle*), the Children need more representation in the universe. Don't let them die with Greblieps!

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Sure, but only if they are phoning home though...[face_mischief]

15. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    Hey, Jan! Have to say: #18 was freakin' awesome! I'm glad that Kol got to see his son again, and I almost cried when poor Hosk died. But I gotta admit, this story is getting better! Good job! =D=

16. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    Darn it! I forgot to highlight those words in black! Blast! Sorry about that...

:_|

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the information on their ages! Character details like that interest me greatly, especially when they're about the Fels.

18. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    After reading issue #0 1/2, I'd have to question 18 as being the right age for her. #0 1/2 said that
    "Before their exile, there were many Moffs who openly questioned allowing Roan Fel to name a woman as his successor, but Marasiah's qualifications for the position have been proven under fire." If Marasiah were only 11 at the time, they would have every right to challenge Roan Fel's choice of a successor. Not to mention an 11-year-old wouldn't be considered a woman or be ready to prove herself a worthy heir. I'd be more inclined to believe that she's the same age as Antares Draco - 25.

By the way, since we're on the subject, how old are Kee, Deliah, Hosk and Wolf? It seems fair to assume that Cade, Shado and Jeriah are about the same age.

19. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Apologies for the lack of black out on my last post...it apparently stopped working on my computer. :mad:

20. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Just because someone is named as heir apparent, does not mean they are of age to take over the thone. 'Woman' in this context simply means a female person. Consider Padme Amildala, Queen of Naboo at a very young age.

Sia is 18.

Cade, Shado and Jariah are approximately the same age. Cade is somewhere around 19-21 when we first see him. Always thought of Shado as being a bit older even if it's just a day or two. Maybe because he has always seemed to be the responsible one. :-B

Not sure how Zeltrons count years, or if they did if they would let you know, so I would not guess about Blue. Between 19 and 23, I'd guess. Kee is about 15-16. Hosk? Older, but not old. Wolf was Kol's padawan, so probably in his early 30's?

These are educated guesses. Nothing written in stone.

21. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Hi Jan!

I don't have a question or anything - just wanted to say here how much I loved 18! The story/narrative continue to be fantastic, and several of the panels really stood out to me:

Maladi's lab. Dang, that was creepy! Reminded me of something from an Alien movie. *shivers* And Cade/Talon behind the red bubbles was just too cool.

KOL! Ever since RotJ came out, I've been a huge fan of the stories of fathers and sons in the GFFA and this scene just riveted me. [face_love] (And Kol be lookin' guuuuud in those robes.)

The scene where Cade has his fingertips pressed to the lightsaber case just speaks SO much emotion, and then shattering the transparisteel (I guess) - WOW!

I am soooooo on the edge of my seat for 19. Thank you for all the awesome! :D

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Thanks, Trace! Happy to hear you liked the issue! :D Yeah, Kol fills out a set of Jedi robes well, doesn't he? :) Kol and Cade's father and son relationship has been an interesting part of the story. Cade, being who he is, has many regrets, no doubt.

You should be on the edge of your seat for issue 19--it keeps getting better... (evil laugh...) [face_devil]

23. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Thanks for this insight into Sia's character, Jan. :D Thematically, it's a great fit with so many SW heroes - young Luke imagining tales of his lost father, young Leia raised as a princess from her earliest years, Padme as a young queen, the Solo kids and Ben Skywalker taking on great responsibility at young ages. Interestingly, though, we seem to see few single-parent families in SW, with the prominent exception of Shmi and Anakin. (And I think we'll all happily assume Roan didn't conceive Sia in the Force and give birth himself. :p ) And then consider it's Roan raising a daughter as a single dad, while also training an Imperial Knight apprentice (as shown in #8, when Antares was still Roan's apprentice in 130 ABY) - and, in his spare time, ruling as Emperor. :eek: Wow! Most impressive. ;)

It would be fascinating to learn more about Sia's backstory, and Roan's, and how their lives were affected by her mother's absence. I'm confident you and John will show us some of that in time (just as with more info about Fel I and Fel II) -- but, of course, only when it serves the story. ;) But that won't stop me from hoping for more Fel subplots! O:)

Any chance you can tell us whether we might be seeing some more of Sia in the recently revealed post-Claws of the Dragon issues? [face_praying] I can't believe we haven't really seen her since #7! :_| (In the meantime, I'm holding out hope that the fact that #0.5 mentions that Sia has become a full Imperial Knight "offscreen" since Broken is a sign that you and John might have some plans for her... [face_shhh] )

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Draco was Roan's apprentice while Roan was also Emperor. I don't think the Imperial Knight order is exactly like the Jedi order though. You'd have to figure that Draco had more than Roan teaching him the ways of the Force. Antares was probably also taught by another Master as well with Roan honing the finer points of skill.

We should be seeing more of Sia in 2008! Initially, we did have a sub-plot with Sia in CoD, but when the story all came together there just was not enough room for Legacy's favorite princess, so her story was moved up a bit. But don't worry--she'll be around--and as 0.5 mentions, a full fledged IK.

25. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    The dialogue in #8 implies that Draco knows Mohrgan pretty well too, so perhaps Draco trained some with him as well. Of course, now that 0.5 has officially confirmed that there are only a small number of IKs, not a whole Order like the Jedi, it's likely more of a group dynamic - although their may be formal master-apprentice pairs, limited personnel probably means that, overall, all the masters play some role in training all the apprentices. At least, that would make sense to me. :)

The other neat part about Draco having been Roan's apprentice is that it explains well why he's the head of the IKs. In addition to learning the "Jedi arts" (to use Qui-Gon's phrase from TPM), he picked up a lot of leadership skills too. Although he seems to have not quite learned Roan's patience yet. :p

[face_dancing] :D [face_love] :cool: [face_dancing]

Makes sense. Broken is a big story, introducing so many of the elements of Legacy. CoD is a much smaller story by comparison - essentially a character story of Cade and Krayt. Even as we're building to the finale in #19, there's really no fit in the story (much less room!) for anything besides Krayt (and the Sith) and Cade (and the rescue team coming for him). So as much as I'd like to see more of Sia, the storytelling decision to keep CoD small really works. =D=

Woohoo! :D And I have to say Sia in IK armor = [face_love] =P~

Thanks again for the info, Jan! [:D]